Options

2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Sweet! That is another one on my list of possible Special Editions which has been announced. :):):)

That makes the list:

Shada (Legacy Box Set): UK: January 7th, US: January 8th
    The Reign of Terror: UK: January 28th, US: February 12th
    The Ark in Space (SE): UK: February 18th, : US: March 12th
    The Aztecs (SE) (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: March 12th
    Dalek Movies (Blu-Ray): UK: May 27th, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June 24th, US: NA
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: July 15th, US: NA
    Inferno (SE): UK: NA, US: NA

and

The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2
    The Visitation (SE)
    The Green Death (SE)

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Web Planet
    The Mind Robber
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Hand of Fear
    Horror of Fang Rock
    City of Death
    The Leisure Hive
    Earthshock
    The Mark of the Rani
    The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric

Hopefully add moonbase and crusade to that list and 2013 will be pretty much full
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks like the bbc are trying to exterminate all the old shiny silver disc releases.
    Just these left.

Pyramids of Mars
    The Leisure Hive
    Earthshock
    The Two Doctors
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric

None of those really scream out worthy of a revisit to me. DIOE is a fine release and i doubt there would be much of a visual improvment on that one plus there is no extras missing. Some might say fixing the cgi error on DIOE would make it wothy of revisit but i disagree on that one. Pyramid of mars and lesure hive are fine releases and other than a making of i dont see any other possible improvement. Earthshock is totally fine as it is. The 2 doctors is probably the only real possibility. might be a slight improvment picture quality wise but possibly not enough to be noticable and is missing a making of.Also would give them the oppertunity to ditch fix with sontarans as some have requested a revisit to remove all traces of jimmy saville.Ghost light picture quality is poor but that is on 1" tape and there is little that can be done and fenric is a fine release as it is. I dont see any more revisits for 2013 for the simple fact there probably wont be room for any more releases if you add the rumoured moonbase and potential crusade releases to the list so if there are any more revisits it wont be out till 2014. With all stories due next year and a supposed financial limit for 2 animated episodes it will be interesting to see how long the revisits will continue with no unreleased stories coming out at the same time
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Hopefully add moonbase and crusade to that list and 2013 will be pretty much full

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Logically, based on the current criteria, Moonbase, Crusade and The Underwater Menace will all soon be animated. However, I haven't put those on the list (except for the 2nd episode of The Underwater Menace, since it was recently found) because there have been no announcements about them. I should probably make another section to the list called "probable finished by animation editions". At the moment, this section would also include The Ice Warriors and The Tenth Planet. I just haven't quite made the move to do that as of yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just these left.

Pyramids of Mars
    The Leisure Hive
    Earthshock
    The Two Doctors
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric

None of those really scream out worthy of a revisit to me. DIOE is a fine release and i doubt there would be much of a visual improvment on that one plus there is no extras missing. Some might say fixing the cgi error on DIOE would make it wothy of revisit but i disagree on that one. Pyramid of mars and lesure hive are fine releases and other than a making of i dont see any other possible improvement. Earthshock is totally fine as it is. The 2 doctors is probably the only real possibility. might be a slight improvment picture quality wise but possibly not enough to be noticable and is missing a making of.Also would give them the oppertunity to ditch fix with sontarans as some have requested a revisit to remove all traces of jimmy saville.Ghost light picture quality is poor but that is on 1" tape and there is little that can be done and fenric is a fine release as it is. I dont see any more revisits for 2013 for the simple fact there probably wont be room for any more releases if you add the rumoured moonbase and potential crusade releases to the list so if there are any more revisits it wont be out till 2014. With all stories due next year and a supposed financial limit for 2 animated episodes it will be interesting to see how long the revisits will continue with no unreleased stories coming out at the same time

Due to the length of time that it takes to animate the episodes, I see the major potential for the DVDs to be released into 2014 and possibly 2015. They would put the animated episode completed stuff out as they can, the new stuff out as they can, and continue to fill in the rest of the schedule with the special editions.

I could easily see this being the case.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now the re-releases are getting more frequent, I'd be interested to know how many people here are buying them. Particularly, people who have got the original releaes.

I picked up the first two Revisitations boxsets cheap(ish) a while back, but I won't be troubling myself over the others unless I can get them for a fairly nominal price. I am perfectly content with the original releases. Do others feel the same?

There's always a bit of grumbling about how we're being ripped off by being expected to buy the same discs for a second time, but that's not how I feel. I am not worried at all about anything I may be missing by not getting the rereleases. Anyone else?
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now the re-releases are getting more frequent, I'd be interested to know how many people here are buying them. Particularly, people who have got the original releaes.

I picked up the first two Revisitations boxsets cheap(ish) a while back, but I won't be troubling myself over the others unless I can get them for a fairly nominal price. I am perfectly content with the original releases. Do others feel the same?

There's always a bit of grumbling about how we're being ripped off by being expected to buy the same discs for a second time, but that's not how I feel. I am not worried at all about anything I may be missing by not getting the rereleases. Anyone else?

I'm buying all the re-releases. I like the extra features, plus the improved picture quality. (Having said that, if all the extra features are going to be as awful and pointless as "Living with Levene" I might reconsider.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to the length of time that it takes to animate the episodes, I see the major potential for the DVDs to be released into 2014 and possibly 2015. They would put the animated episode completed stuff out as they can, the new stuff out as they can, and continue to fill in the rest of the schedule with the special editions.

I could easily see this being the case.

There was an interesting interview recently on Radio Free Skaro with Nick Briggs at Chicago Tardis talking about the development of Reign of Terror. Apparently, most of the time spent on this release was spent on developing the software and tools necessary (in part because the budget was so low they couldn't buy any commercial packages!) and included months lost to a failed attempt using a process that just didn't work out

Now that the bugs are worked out, future animations (which he also hinted are on the table) should be much faster.

I heard that it was going to take 11 months to animate reign. Assume ice warriors was worked along side reign at the same time (with the trailer being passed suggests thats out sooner rather than later and i doubt there would be time to do it after reign assuming warriors is being animated). Now assume it takes a few months less now they have developed the software and tools (say 8 for easy addition). They finished reign round about late june i believe and would then head onto the next 2 (just say underwater menace/moonbase) they would finish that about february then move on to the final possible ones (crusade/tenth planet) and finish round about october. Of course Thats only if they are working on more than 1 story at a time (with how quick ice warriors is coming after reign of terror it looks likely). Maybe not possible to get them all out by 2013 but i cant see them dragging out all the 2part missing episodes all the way till 2015
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm buying all the re-releases. I like the extra features, plus the improved picture quality. (Having said that, if all the extra features are going to be as awful and pointless as "Living with Levene" I might reconsider.)

Living with levine was brilliant. I some how think you didnt get the point of the piece which was to look at the man behind sargent benton and was certainly a unique and different sort of extra than what we usually get
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ive bought all so far as all stories chosen have felt needed a revisit in some shape or form but with green death announced my wishlist has ran down to zero. After that i probably not bother with them any more. Not saying i wont buy any other revisits that come out but if there are extras that catch my eye i could be tempted
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true than I'm excited, haven't seen the Green Death yet. Didn't buy the old release because it lacked in extras. Look forward to this release:)

Oh my lord! That'll be a gloriously bonkers commentary! I might have to indulge in a little revis now :D
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looks like the bbc are trying to exterminate all the old shiny silver disc releases.

I defy anyone to try to make me buy The Two Doctors again. :p
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    What if it had an extra titled "Nicola Bryant: Uncovered"?

;):p
  • Options
    king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, only the Two Doctors Left of her special edition hopes, and I think that they would rather make a feature about the making or Patrick Troughton
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looked at my copy of two doctors cant really see any reason to revisit-2 discs plenty of extras.maybe the picture quality could be improved.could keep the fix with sontarans in but with the jimmy saville bits edited out.found it quite creepy watching that bit last night:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an interesting interview recently on Radio Free Skaro with Nick Briggs at Chicago Tardis talking about the development of Reign of Terror. Apparently, most of the time spent on this release was spent on developing the software and tools necessary (in part because the budget was so low they couldn't buy any commercial packages!) and included months lost to a failed attempt using a process that just didn't work out

Now that the bugs are worked out, future animations (which he also hinted are on the table) should be much faster.

I heard that it was going to take 11 months to animate reign. Assume ice warriors was worked along side reign at the same time (with the trailer being passed suggests thats out sooner rather than later and i doubt there would be time to do it after reign assuming warriors is being animated). Now assume it takes a few months less now they have developed the software and tools (say 8 for easy addition). They finished reign round about late june i believe and would then head onto the next 2 (just say underwater menace/moonbase) they would finish that about february then move on to the final possible ones (crusade/tenth planet) and finish round about october. Of course Thats only if they are working on more than 1 story at a time (with how quick ice warriors is coming after reign of terror it looks likely). Maybe not possible to get them all out by 2013 but i cant see them dragging out all the 2part missing episodes all the way till 2015

Ooooh. I like the sound of this. They have built their own software in order to do the animation? This means that they could be released much more quickly than I feared and that we could possibly move into the other (more-than-two-episodes-needing-to-be-released) serials in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooh. I like the sound of this. They have built their own software in order to do the animation? This means that they could be released much more quickly than I feared and that we could possibly move into the other (more-than-two-episodes-needing-to-be-released) serials in the not too distant future.

Dan hall says anything over 2 eps would be very unlikely due to cost but i supose that could change once the sales figures appear for reign
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if it had an extra titled "Nicola Bryant: Uncovered"?

;):p
    Yes please!:D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, if they up-converted The Pyramids of Mars for the Blu-Ray release of The Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4, then why can't they up-convert the rest of the classic Doctor Who?

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-imports-subforum/118684-sarah-jane-adventures-season-4-uk-october-31st.html

Does anybody have this? How is the up-conversion? Is there an improvement in picture quality?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, if they up-converted The Pyramids of Mars for the Blu-Ray release of The Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4, then why can't they up-convert the rest of the classic Doctor Who?

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-imports-subforum/118684-sarah-jane-adventures-season-4-uk-october-31st.html

Does anybody have this? How is the up-conversion? Is there an improvement in picture quality?

There is zero picture quality improvment. Its the exact same quality as the dvd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is zero picture quality improvment. Its the exact same quality as the dvd.

Nuts. :(

Are you comparing it to the US or the UK DVD? Wouldn't there be some improvement of quality over the US one due to the PAL vs NTSC line differential?
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It can only be up-converted in the same way that a blu ray player can up-convert DVD's anyway, by interpolation. Therefore an up-conversion available on blu ray would look no better than watching the DVD on the same player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, apparently we're all wasting our time. I've just been informed on another thread that "old" Who ranges from being passable to (most often) "utter shit". (their words not mine)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Calm down nyder. I'm not going to take them seriously, the old series rules boss over the new one as it may look cheaper (and in Terror of the Autons' case, laughable), but the sheer quality of the writing and acting speak volumes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calm down nyder. I'm not going to take them seriously, the old series rules boss over the new one as it may look cheaper (and in Terror of the Autons' case, laughable), but the sheer quality of the writing and acting speak volumes.

Actually I was saying it in an amused sort of way. I should have used some smileys.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice to see you smiling :D