Options

Have you or anyone you know ever killed a dog with chocolate?

Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's that shocking statement made by protective dog owners across the country, 'chocolate can KILL him'

I've always doubted the true validity of this statement, but never had a dog of my own to experiment upon. Does your mutt enjoy a sly malteaser, or a crafty bar of aero? Or did you come home one day and find the family dog DEAD on the floor surrounded by foil and an empty box of milk tray?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes, a previous neighbour beat his dog to death with a giant tobelerone
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but I've killed a cat with my car.
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Stop it:p:D:D...
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of a small terrier that was made very ill by chocolate.

My dog's had a malteser before without problems, but I wouldn't take the risk to do so regularly.

Chocolate is something I inflict only on myself :p
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I've killed a pigeon with a minstrel, does that count?
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anyone who has killed a dog with a Christmas pudding either, but the internet was flooded with crazy dog ladies who were shocked and outraged that Morrisons had shown one being fed to a dog in an advert. :confused:
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If chocolate is so deadly to dogs mine must have been suicidal as she helped herself whenever she could. :D

Either that or British produced chocolate bars are not proper chocolate. :eek:
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet like chocolate boy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my aunt did that to her previous dog and it messed his kidneys up dropped down dead shortly after.:(
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand Dairy Milk can be dangerous but Galaxy is a killer. Yorkie is OK in small doses but Aero and Caramac are a bit dodgy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I just won't share! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I understand Dairy Milk can be dangerous but Galaxy is a killer. Yorkie is OK in small doses but Aero and Caramac are a bit dodgy.
    Caramac isn't chocolate
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    My dog adores chocolate covered coffee beans (he only has a couple at christmas).

He loves them so much he rolls about on-top of them and last Christmas one got stuck on his back and it was hilarious watching him try to find it (I know I shouldn't have laughed:o) - he could obviously smell it nearby but could not see where it was.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Poor dog:(

:D:D
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary Berry's dog ate a whole chocolate cake once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think my dog's ever tasted chocolate. I'll share some things with her, but chocolate, NO :D
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you gettting mixed up with products containing artificial sweeteners? I have heard of dogs being killed by cakes, biscuits etc. that have been made with a sugar substitute like Sweetex. (This is not a joke, apparently it is very poisonous to dogs.)

Not heard of any dog being killed directly by eating chocolate though.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Both my dogs have had chocolate in different forms a good few times...oops! but have always been fine thankfully :)
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    You went a bit canine Cluedo at the end there OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Are you gettting mixed up with products containing artificial sweeteners? I have heard of dogs being killed by cakes, biscuits etc. that have been made with a sugar substitute like Sweetex. (This is not a joke, apparently it is very poisonous to dogs.)

Not heard of any dog being killed directly by eating chocolate though.
    I'd heard the tale of dogs & chocolate before but didn't know if it was true or not.

Apparently the problem is Theobromine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine

QI discussed it. I know they aren't always right but got that from the forums
    http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=9839&view=next&sid=ce18aff8f69841df886fc512d9f54e7f
  • Options
    LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a mouse in our attic that ate 2/3rds of one of those hotel chocolat slabs - do you think that killed it.....we never found a body
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horton wrote: »
    I don't think my dog's ever tasted chocolate. I'll share some things with her, but chocolate, NO :D

I love eating chocolate around dogs cos I'm like "sorry, I can't share this with you. You will die". And I don't feel guilty about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a mouse in our attic that ate 2/3rds of one of those hotel chocolat slabs - do you think that killed it.....we never found a body

:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    It seems about 1lb of chocolate "may" be enough to kill off your beloved hound.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Is this a relatively new thing? My old next door neighbour used to give her dog a 'Penguin' every single day .....................the dog lived till about 17 or 18 (quite a good age for a dog I think?) I really don't know TBH.