Options

Samsung doubles market share while Apple declines & analysts worry about cheap iPhone

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Trust me, no-one knows how boring this has become more than me, but I genuinely don't get why this has proved so contentious.

Don't think you do ..... and that's the problem.

You keep repeating the same thing again and again if somehow suddenly everyone will see it clearly.

This is not and will not be the case the passage you keep repeating is simply a segue into how the iphone is the epitome of great design. This does not make it an article on design generally it is an article about the iphone 5 on an apple site full stop.

However it would seem you are determined to brand every else as wrong and only you as right so you go ahead regardless.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    On the contrary. Throughout the entire article, the author ONLY talks about the iPhone. No other example is given, and that to me is indicative of the fact that the article is about the iPhone and its design and not design in general.

If it were, as you are trying to suggest, about design in general, I fail to see why using only one example throughout the entire article is sufficient to justify the points made.

I don't know anywhere where a respectable piece is written about a subject and only one example is given in the entire body of work....unless, the piece was about that one particular subject itself.

You can't argue that the article about design in general, because it never discusses design in general, but solely the design of the iPhone. The article is about the iPhone and can't be transferred to another device such as a Galaxy S device as the article is not about design.

You may have had a case, had the author used other examples. I don't know anywhere where it is reasonable to use just one justification in a written piece to get a point across. Does this happen with historians? No. Multiple sources are usually cited. Does this happen with lawyers? No. Multiple cases are usually cited. Does this happen with linguists? No. Multiple examples are usually given to justify points made in a piece. And that is the point here. The article ONLY mentions the iPhone and only infers the concept of design in the context of the iPhone, therefore it does not make sense to claim the article is about design in general, because that isn't the case.

As I've said before, he doesn't need to mention other examples for it to be obvious that there are other examples.

That's a complete non starter.

It is made perfectly clear by:

"Good design is inevitable. It's determined. It's relentless. Each iteration builds on the one before, becoming better and better each time."

For all the circles this has gone round in, it could not be any clearer.

I literally do not believe that no-one reading this cannot see that.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    LOL. :D ... I doubt anyone even cares!...

Nothing happening, no innovation, zilch. Maybe we should have a round phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Don't think you do ..... and that's the problem.

You keep repeating the same thing again and again if somehow suddenly everyone will see it clearly.

This is not and will not be the case the passage you keep repeating is simply a segue into how the iphone is the epitome of great design. This does not make it an article on design generally it is an article about the iphone 5 on an apple site full stop.

However it would seem you are determined to brand every else as wrong and only you as right so you go ahead regardless.

If anyone can't get from this:

"Good design is inevitable. It's determined. It's relentless. Each iteration builds on the one before, becoming better and better each time."

That the general subject is design.

And from this:

"The iPhone is an example of this"

That the example used in the discussion is the iPhone.

Then given how clear and unambiguous that is, then yes - I believe they're wrong.

Even if you disagree with me, you can't argue that I'm defending Apple, or blindly seeing it as a pro Apple article, when I'm the one arguing that it isn't specific or exclusive to Apple.

Its everyone disagreeing who can't seem to see past Apple, not me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

I literally do not believe that no-one reading this cannot see that.

If no one person is reading, they will definitely not be able to see that. :D

I assume you mean anyone and its not another sly attempt to divert the conversation ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've got me! :p

I thought it could be either, as "no-one" as in "none of the people who are reading this".