Options

New to Sky Fibre and have a question

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering if anyone else can recall what their initial ten day period was like ?

I'm experiencing a LOT of slow connection times and delays for one thing. I listen to a lot of shoutcast streams through winamp as well and i'm getting frequent dropouts to the point of making them unlistenable.

When I had the regular broadband installed, I can't remember it being as flaky as this in the first ten days.

Comments

• Options
    nig6nig6 Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was exactly the same too, eventually rang sky and they got openreach to upgrade the system as the contention ratio was way too high and couldn't cope with the fibre users.

I would get 0.25Mb download speeds on a night (6pm-11pm) then in the middle of the night (2am-4am) I would get reasonable speed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting to know, thanks. i might give it another day or two and ring them back.

I've just done a speed check and it's given me 37.5mb download speed, which is in line with what they've estimated but since i've been online in the past hour i've had the same dropouts on streaming and the same delays in loading some pages so it's still misbehaving.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone else can recall what their initial ten day period was like ?.

There is no 10 day training period on Openreach based FTTC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »

That's interesting. Is there anywhere that I could fibs something "official" to confirm that to use when I ring Sky back?

I'll google around myself when I'm back home but if you can think of anything off the top of your head I'd be grateful, thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was on the phone to sky for over an hour earlier trying to get to the bottom of things and from their end, they're fairly insistent that the router and the connection is working as it should but there are still problems from my end regarding slow page access and connections dropping.

The engineer seemed to think the problem was at my end as when i did 'netstat' i had over 20 'established' connections but i'm not running anything in the background or downloading anything either.

Even loading up DS to type this reply took bloody ages :)
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »

Yep, I can confirm this also.

The issue sounds like congestion on Sky's backhaul from the fibre headend. They might need to request a backhaul upgrade from Openreach. But the people in the contact centres seem completely oblivious to throughput issues and just send out an Openreach engineer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    That's interesting to know, thanks. i might give it another day or two and ring them back.

I've just done a speed check and it's given me 37.5mb download speed, which is in line with what they've estimated but since i've been online in the past hour i've had the same dropouts on streaming and the same delays in loading some pages so it's still misbehaving.

doubt they will be intrested until it starts majorly reducing your speed and +1 theres no 10 day traning period on fttc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Yep, I can confirm this also.

The issue sounds like congestion on Sky's backhaul from the fibre headend. They might need to request a backhaul upgrade from Openreach. But the people in the contact centres seem completely oblivious to throughput issues and just send out an Openreach engineer.

The engineer i was speaking to did mention throughput as i have two other devices and the sky box connected to the hub at the same time, but I even disconnected all of those and rebooted in to safe mode in windows and still had the same issues.

I'm probably going to ring them back tomorrow to see if we can make any progress but i'm not going to put up with it forever.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i switched to the Fibre, i got the full 40mb straight away, and its never changed, so does sound like you have a problem.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking to someone else at the moment and the first thing he asked me was if I had tried a different ethernet cable from the hub to my pc, which I hadn't. went and found one in my cable drawer (yes, i have a cable drawer :)) that was brand new and unopened and swapped it out and - on the face of it - it appears to have resolved the problem.

Obviously I can't tell 100% if that's the case i've only had it swapped out for about 15 minutes, but opening up some random pages it does seem to be significantly quicker and i haven't had a single delay or dropout yet.

Sod's law really. On the phone for over an hour yesterday and it *might* be the one thing we never actually tried!
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly plausible but not too likely unless the cable was really badly made (factory dud, or a bad DIY job) or it's been used as a skipping rope a few times first :)

But worth a try anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    It's certainly plausible but not too likely unless the cable was really badly made (factory dud, or a bad DIY job) or it's been used as a skipping rope a few times first :)

But worth a try anyway

Yeah, it's certainly worth a try. Still fairly stable so far, but i'm still having some dropouts and buffering issues with some of the radio streams i listen to. I thought it was possible a shoutcast problem but i've just loaded up radioplayer and that's just dropped out a couple of times already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been using it this morning and it's worse, so will have to get back on the phone again today .. grrrrr ...
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been using it this morning and it's worse, so will have to get back on the phone again today .. grrrrr ...

You may have tried already, and I am assuming that Fibre has a TEST socket, but have you tried connecting to it to see if it helps?

If fibre connections no longer have test sockets, then ignore this attempt to help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjmachin wrote: »
    You may have tried already, and I am assuming that Fibre has a TEST socket, but have you tried connecting to it to see if it helps?

If fibre connections no longer have test sockets, then ignore this attempt to help

I've tried the test socket a few times and no joy unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had an openreach engineer come out who tested the line and the connection and found no problems at all. He fitted a new wall socket that doesn't need a microfilter as well but i'm still having problems.

The download speed does actually test out as the promised speed and has done for a few days - i've just done one as i type this post and I got a 37.3mb download speed, but i've only got 0.45mb upload speed.

I still get delays in opening web pages and i still get dropouts when i'm streaming shoutcast or audionomy streams through winamp so i'm really at a loss to figure it out.

I've switched browsers, i've even switched anti-virus and firewall software and i've done full malware and virus scans again and the system is clean.

(Just got 0.28mb upload speed for the record while doing another one with a new server)

If anyone has any bright ideas before i ring sky back, i'd be hugely grateful. I'm open to doing a full re-format and re-install but I doubt it would do much.
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you get a hold of another computer to rule that out, or if you have a smartphone, install the free Ookla Speedtest app and try over wifi
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have another computer unfortunately, but i've just installed the speed test app and did a few tests on a few different servers.

1) Ping: 9, 7.24mbps down, 0.25 up
    2) Ping: 7, 15.66mbps down, 0.24 up
    3) Ping: 8, 16.29mbps down, 0.28 up
    4) Ping: 9, 16.55mbps down, 0.24 up
    5) Ping: 18, 17.17mbps down, 0.13 up

Defintely not the 40mbps down and 10mbps up that the Sky site claims :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't have another computer unfortunately, but i've just installed the speed test app and did a few tests on a few different servers.

1) Ping: 9, 7.24mbps down, 0.25 up
    2) Ping: 7, 15.66mbps down, 0.24 up
    3) Ping: 8, 16.29mbps down, 0.28 up
    4) Ping: 9, 16.55mbps down, 0.24 up
    5) Ping: 18, 17.17mbps down, 0.13 up

Defintely not the 40mbps down and 10mbps up that the Sky site claims :)

Choose Vodafone or NamesCo in London, since they should give you better/consistent speed tests.

The thing I find a little puzzling is your really poor upload - this will affect your download speed (for the purpose of a speedtest).

Your stats look more like ADSL2+ rather than VDSL (I would expect 3-4Mbps upstream minimum).

When the BT guy came out he would've seen your sync rate, and that probably looks fine. The problem is likely between your cabinet and the Sky network - Sky don't have enough bandwidth (local to you) to service your requests (as per Icaraa's comment) *OR* they've screwed up your IP profile or something.

Do you know anyone else in your area (telephone exchange) on Sky? Do they have similar issues?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lf2k7 wrote: »
    Do you know anyone else in your area (telephone exchange) on Sky? Do they have similar issues?

Unfortunately I don't. My neighbour is on Virgin, so he'd be no help. I just did a couple of tests using the two servers you suggested and actually got a 0.09 upload speed on one of them :)

Anyway, on the phone to Sky now so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone would know what grounds i'd have to cancel fibre and either leave sky completely or return to the original broadband ?

would there need to be any kind of specific proof from my end that i'm not getting the service i was promised ?

i tried streaming a shoutcast radio station yesterday morning and in the space of 90 minutes, it dropped out and started buffering 10 times.

this morning, in the space of an hour, it dropped out 14 times and i eventually stopped counting. it also had a knock-on effect of making all the web pages i tried to open stall and take ages to open as well. i've just tried a speed test on speedtest.net and it topped out at 11.15mbps but wouldn't actually complete the download portion.

the frustrating thing is, whenever i'm on the phone to sky, the speedtest seems to work fine and give me the speeds i've been promised, or thereabouts - that being 40mbps down and 10mbps up.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ I would phone Sky about that to see what can be done. That sounds atrocious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    ^ I would phone Sky about that to see what can be done. That sounds atrocious!

I did ring them this afternoon - again :).

The upshot of it is that i've got another openreach engineer coming out on tuesday and if it's still not resolved then, i'm actually still just inside the initial 31 day cooling off period so they've said I can actually cancel it all together or downgrade back to regular broadband on a new deal, which I might end up doing as it'll be even cheaper than when i was on it originally.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, okay.