Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• icestation2icestation2 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Was Charlie a prison cook? He really brought down the standard with his working-class chav food.
  • britchick_99702britchick_99702 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I don't think Jason dislikes Charlie and Steph as such, just see's Colin as a much higher quality chef, which to be fair he does look, even if he has missed the brief completely with 3 out of 4 dishes. Can only see a walk over tonight, think Steph even knows it.

Just sad we'll never see the judges reaction to the turd and the kebab :(

Steph seems to have spent the week continuously looking for answers from Jason. She explains the dish or a particular thing she may be doing at that moment and then give him a look as if to say "Am I doing the right thing? Please give me some direction". She's obviously not confident in her skills. I think Colin will be a sure winner even if he hasn't always met the comic brief.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colin seems to have decided to risk playing it safe with great cooking but no humour (or any other relevance) on three courses in order to produce one dish that stands a good chance of making it all the way.

It's like he's thought - "There's no way any of us can get more than one dish through so I might as well put all my efforts into making one course an absolute cracker, get through to the final and who cares if I bomb on the other three courses? Let's go for the pudding - the other chefs usually struggle with that one."

With hindsight, it sort of worked for him before and I can see his reasoning (don't agree with it but do see it.) He's been lucky with his competition though. Another good chef who'd done a decent job of fitting the brief all round might not have scored so highly with Jason (who appeared to value culinary skill way over any nod to the brief) but might have given Colin more of a run with the judges.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I can't speak for the OP, obviously, but I find that Jason comes across as a bit of a cold fish on TV, though he might well be a very nice chap in real life. He seems somewhat dour and humourless.

I think he is smug and pretentious, a sneering little prig and he is also a bit thick.

That probably covers it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I find Jason very impressive. I can see the humourless comments as being fair but he seems very focussed and I'd far rather eat his food some of the other more jolly characters. I guess maybe he's just not quite right for the brief.

That being said I think the brief is fairly ridiculous. The stuff with the comics in the judging room is so forced and painful the watch. I wish they weren't there.

I'm just catching up as I've had visitors. What's impressive about him? Have you eaten his food?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive watched the fish courses. I wouldn't fancy any of them much, maybe Stephs would be most popular at the banquet.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll take decent but funny over great but dull, to be honest.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope the plates don't buckle:D

Goody, there's a goodie on the show.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I must be missing something here. Why's he a cheat? Did something happen in a previous series?

OK, I just think it's unfair to ignore the brief, and 'just' cook good dishes, when the other two tried, mostly, to stick to the brief and tried to cook 'good' dishes too. It seems to be much harder if you do stick to the brief.

That said, I'm glad the judges have liked the tomato starter tonight - I thought that looked great, and thought the judge on Monday didn't praise it highly enough.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprise really that Colins won, but I don't think he will be at the banquet at least I hope not
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Colin seems to have decided to risk playing it safe with great cooking but no humour (or any other relevance) on three courses in order to produce one dish that stands a good chance of making it all the way.

It's like he's thought - "There's no way any of us can get more than one dish through so I might as well put all my efforts into making one course an absolute cracker, get through to the final and who cares if I bomb on the other three courses? Let's go for the pudding - the other chefs usually struggle with that one."

With hindsight, it sort of worked for him before and I can see his reasoning (don't agree with it but do see it.) He's been lucky with his competition though. Another good chef who'd done a decent job of fitting the brief all round might not have scored so highly with Jason (who appeared to value culinary skill way over any nod to the brief) but might have given Colin more of a run with the judges.
    Kind of agree but there must be more to it. He didn't know what the other chefs were bringing to the table. They could have had decent dishes that nailed the brief and be out on Thursday.
    Also, didn't he get to the banquet last year with a brand new dish? So it didn't quite work before as intended.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    OK, I just think it's unfair to ignore the brief, and 'just' cook good dishes, when the other two tried, mostly, to stick to the brief and tried to cook 'good' dishes too. It seems to be much harder if you do stick to the brief.

I'd call it lazy rather than cheating, but I absolutely agree that he took the easy option.

However, at least he admitted that most of his dishes weren't humorous! I did think that Steph was pulling a con job when she claimed that her main dish "reflected the serious side of Comic Relief". It had absolutely nothing to do with Comic Relief, and anyone could simply ignore the brief and make the same claim. :rolleyes:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'd call it lazy rather than cheating, but I absolutely agree that he took the easy option.

However, at least he admitted that most of his dishes weren't humorous! I did think that Steph was pulling a con job when she claimed that her main dish "reflected the serious side of Comic Relief". It had absolutely nothing to do with Comic Relief, and anyone could simply ignore the brief and make the same claim. :rolleyes:
    Scottish lad said the same though. He even tried to connect it by doing a tagine. Most people wouldn't associate Comic Relief with North Africa.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,643
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I've finally found some fellow tiramisu haters in the judging chamber!
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Scottish lad said the same though. He even tried to connect it by doing a tagine. Most people wouldn't associate Comic Relief with North Africa.

I can sort of excuse him if he got his geography a bit wrong, as Comic Relief was launched in response to the famine in Ethiopia, and a lot of their work is in Africa. At least he did an African dish so there was some evidence that he'd actually thought about it ... but venison, poached pear, hazelnuts, baby beet etc??? :eek:

That's just taking the pee! :D
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Kind of agree but there must be more to it. He didn't know what the other chefs were bringing to the table. They could have had decent dishes that nailed the brief and be out on Thursday.
    Also, didn't he get to the banquet last year with a brand new dish? So it didn't quite work before as intended.
    A) That's why I said he was lucky.
    B) That's what I meant by "sort of worked out". He realised that none of his original dishes were going to be enough, then it also twigged (no pun intended) that if he changed one of his dishes and concentrated enough to make it a bit of a smash, it'd be enough to see him through even if the other three were mediocre. Look at Michael a couple of years ago. 3 top three dishes and nothing at the banquet. You get no eventual credit for producing a good whole menu even though that's what the first round is supposed to be based on.
    I can sort of excuse him if he got his geography a bit wrong, as Comic Relief was launched in response to the famine in Ethiopia, and a lot of their work is in Africa. At least he did an African dish so there was some evidence that he'd actually thought about it ... but venison, poached pear, hazelnuts, baby beet etc??? :eek:

That's just taking the pee! :D

I agree. The goat dish is just meant to say "Africa" and for a 25th anniversary I think it still works. Most of the plebs (;):o) that eat the stuff aren't going to be up in arms thinking, "But this is North African!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I'm glad I've finally found some fellow tiramisu haters in the judging chamber!

I was surpirised actually, cause I thought I was the only one that dislike Tiramisú, I have never understood what´s all the fuss about it, it just doesn´t taste nice, way too bitter and almost too sickly . Glad to see I am not the only one.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,817
    Forum Member
    Was Charlie a prison cook? He really brought down the standard with his working-class chav food.

What? Hardly working class, just tried to put a spin on fine dining, unlike Colin.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,817
    Forum Member
    I think he is smug and pretentious, a sneering little prig and he is also a bit thick.

That probably covers it :)

Why would you say he was thick?
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Dission wrote: »
    I was surpirised actually, cause I thought I was the only one that dislike Tiramisú, I have never understood what´s all the fuss about it, it just doesn´t taste nice, way too bitter and almost too sickly . Glad to see I am not the only one.

Can't stand the stuff either - really dislike it. Maybe I've never had a good one, but I'm not willing to try any more to find out.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,643
    Forum Member
    Can't stand the stuff either - really dislike it. Maybe I've never had a good one, but I'm not willing to try any more to find out.

The tiramisu backlash has well and truly started, keep the faith and spread the word ;)
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see any of those dishes at the banquet, really. Maybe its Scotland's year after all! So far Michael's main is the stand out dish for me.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see any of those dishes at the banquet, really. Maybe its Scotland's year after all! So far Michael's main is the stand out dish for me.

I wouldn't mind if Colin's dessert made it. Regardless of the judge's personal preferences as to tiramisu, it's a very popular dessert generally, it's technically very impressive and the treatment of it is exactly to the brief.
    Forum Member
    I may have missed this, but who's actually at the banquet this year?

Please tell me we're not having a banquet for a bunch of overpaid "celebs" in order to celebrate something which was started in order to raise awareness of a famine! :rolleyes:

Oh ... hang on! Half of the chefs will be there with their partners ... and then there are the weekly judges and their partners ... and of course the eight guest comedy judges and their partners ... and Prue, Oliver and Matthew.

Okay ... that pretty much takes care of the guest list!

Probably best to not serve tiramisu! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if Colin's dessert made it. Regardless of the judge's personal preferences as to tiramisu, it's a very popular dessert generally, it's technically very impressive and the treatment of it is exactly to the brief.

But I think the judges´ personal preferences are a reflection of what people´s preferences are. They are four judges and 2 dislike the concept of Tiramisú, then surely that´s probably the kind of stats you would come across with the public, like 50 per cent can´t stand the dessert.

I hate it, I swear, tried so many, home-made, made it myself, supermarket ones, restaurants, fine dining establishments... and I just hated them all. Only once I liked and it was because it virtually had no coffee, or had Mocha instead which was more subtle and pleasant. I reckon that is what Colin should do, make it fit for everyone´s palate by toning down the coffee.