In memoriam 2014

124»

Comments

• JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete Seeger, 94 -- The iconic folk-singer died at his home in New York City Jan. 27.

Shirley Temple, 85 -- The iconic child-star and ambassador to Czechoslovakia died at her home in Woodside, California, Feb. 10.

Maya Angelou, 86 -- The iconic poet died at her home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, May 28.

Elaine Stritch, 89 -- The Tony-award winning Broadway actress died at her home in Birmingham, Michigan, July 17.

James Garner, 86 -- The prolific, Oscar-nominated actor died at his Los Angeles home from acute myocardial infarction July 19.

Lauren Bacall, 89 -- The iconic actress, famous for playing opposite Humphrey Bogart in numerous films, died after suffering a stroke at her home in Manhattan Aug. 12.

Joan Rivers, 81 -- The groundbreaking comedian and TV host died of complications from throat surgery Sept. 4 at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan.

Jack Bruce, 71 -- The bassist for classic rock band Cream died of liver disease in Suffolk, England, Oct. 25.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennyuk wrote: »
    Pete Seeger, 94 -- The iconic folk-singer died at his home in New York City Jan. 27.
    Amazing guy.
    I think BB King will follow similar and possibly outlive Seeger. King is now 89 years old and still tours!

Jennyuk wrote: »
    Jack Bruce, 71 -- The bassist for classic rock band Cream died of liver disease in Suffolk, England, Oct. 25.
    And yet Keith Richards also 71, virtually drowned in Jack Daniels between the drugs, still lives on. The man death forgot!

Clapton meantime is a sprightly youthful looking 69, the ever changing 'chameleon' who has been teetotal now the past 15 or 20 years and completely drug free.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    I was saddened by Warren Clarke's passing.
    A top class actor.
    Rik Mayall saddened me the most - probably the first major celeb death from my era, whom I truly admired and followed throughout his career
    *peace

Rik Mayall was the biggest shock to me, but I suppose that those you have the biggest affinity to mean the most to you.
    To live, love
    While the flame is strong,
    For we won't be the young ones very long.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Beal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Lucy Beal

Never forget.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Lucy Beal

Who?
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    And yet Keith Richards also 71, virtually drowned in Jack Daniels between the drugs, still lives on. The man death forgot!

Life is rarely fair, IMO. We all know that.
    That's alright then. I would hate to fall out with anybody over a stupid post on DS

It happens to the best of us. Give it time.

I won't go into much further details, as it's off topic, but there a few people on DS I've encountered that have taken things far too personally.
    getzls wrote: »
    Eli Wallach

I shall always remember him from his role in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. One of my favourite films of all time.

At least he had a very good innings. He was 98 when he died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Wallach
    Today - Billie Whitelaw & Joe Cocker.

Joe Cocker rings a bell. Never knowingly been into his music. Billie Whitelaw, I only remember from the Krays film with the Kemp brothers (ex Spandau Ballet) starring.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Stephen Sutton, James Foley and Phillip Hughes are the deaths that had a real impact on me, to the point where I still think regularly about them.

Stephen was just inspirational (and I don't use that word lightly). I shall be making a Christmas donation to his 'Just Giving' page. Don't know why, but it just feels right to me. Plus it gives me a chance to see his lovely smile which always helps to cheer me up.

James Foley's bravery in the face of such evil was just incredible. I sadly clicked on a link without having a clue what I was about to see and I was so horrified I just froze, unable to look away for a few seconds. His face is etched in my memory forever. I know there have been other deaths which have been equally horiffic, but I have become far more 'click savvy' since and have protected myself from those images. It is James who I remember most vividly.

Phillip Hughes - just so, so tragic. As a cricket lover, the impact was huge to me. Such a freak accident. So many 'if only' thoughts. Just terrible.

I'm not ashamed to say I cried a great deal for all of these men. Such tragic wastes of people who still had so much to do and achieve.

Sleep easy chaps, along with all the others we have lost. X❤️X
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad died three weeks ago. But of course I'm more upset about the celebrities we've lost.

Sorry to hear this xxx
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Black Canary. :(

I think the pet shop might have sold you a crow. :-/

Not celebrity in the same way as others but I was upset about the deaths of Oscar Knox and Stephen Sutton.
    vierte wrote: »
    Oscars death was so sad, such a brave little boy

Yes, Oscar was the first I thought of and the one I found most devastating (not meaning to belittle the deaths of others). I thought Oscar and his parents truly remarkable people, as was Stephen.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Yes, Oscar was the first I thought of and the one I found most devastating (not meaning to belittle the deaths of others). I thought Oscar and his parents truly remarkable people, as was Stephen.

I hadn't heard of Oscar but have just looked him up. What a dear little soul he looked. Poor little chap. 😞
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sympathy is slightly tempered when I read that a lot of these celebs had a hand in there own deaths , feel sorry for their families but that is about it
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of Oscar but have just looked him up. What a dear little soul he looked. Poor little chap. 😞

Yes, he was very well known in N. Ireland and our media got behind him and followed his terribly sad but extraordinarily brave story so it felt like the whole country was just willing this little boy on. His parents came across as having the most amazing strength but I can't imagine how they really felt and coped behind closed doors at times. They did a fantastic job of raising awareness despite their pain. Sometimes people blow me away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Williams was a shocker and very sad that he felt he wanted to end his own life like that
  • CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rik Mayall. Came as a big shock because I didn't know until some time had passed after his death. Then my O/H told me, and it hit me then. Very sad, as he wasn't old and had teenage kids and all that. Big part of my life:(
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Robin Williams was a shocker and very sad that he felt he wanted to end his own life like that

Was for me also
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

And yet Keith Richards also 71, virtually drowned in Jack Daniels between the drugs, still lives on. The man death forgot.

Harsh but true.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband, my elderly dog and elderly three cats who all died in 2014.

I miss you all.:cry:

The worst year of my life.
  • geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally dont get upset at celebrity deaths, but Robin Williams death was quite upsetting, I shared more than a few tears over that one. And Stephen Sutton's death was incredibly sad as well
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Black Canary. :(

This is an ex-Canary.