Interesting Radio Aerial

TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
Forum Member
I saw this on a villa in Spain. Just wondered if anyone could comment on what exactly is it for?

The villa looks like something owned by the bad guys in a James Bond film. Just a shame the photo missed the elegant lady on the balcony!!!

Comments

• LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    I saw this on a villa in Spain. Just wondered if anyone could comment on what exactly is it for?

The villa looks like something owned by the bad guys in a James Bond film. Just a shame the photo missed the elegant lady on the balcony!!!

Looks like an amateur radio directional beam to me. But I am no expert.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Looks like an amateur radio 20/15/10 tribander plus a 144mhz vert beam and perhaps a 6m beam.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I agree with Les Wires. It is certainly a set of amateur radio antennas and I think he has the bands correctly identified i.e. 10/15/20 metre three element beam, 144 Mhz (2 metre) vertical beam and 6 metre horizontal beam.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Thanks all. Maybe if it on the coast it is used for marine reception. Looks a pricey setup. When I were a lad we just used a harmonic length of long wire!
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Thanks all. Maybe if it on the coast it is used for marine reception. Looks a pricey setup. When I were a lad we just used a harmonic length of long wire!

It won't be used for marine, that is generally just above 150MHz and wouldn't need such large aerials. It will be directional amateur equipment for worldwide transmissions regardless of how close it is to the coast.

When you're talking about top band a long wire is still the standard way most people go, cheap and cheerful, get as close to 160m cable as possible (a friend has nearly achieved it by using several metal slinkies that work very well).