Focus area selection on Nikon D40

Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I set the focus area selection to Closet Subject, why do different squares in the middle flash red each time I move the camera and re-focus? It's not always the same square that flashes.

And which square are you supposed to place over the subject you want in focus? The middle one?

When taking a portrait, I usually place the middle square over an eye, so the eyes are in focus, but then sometimes one of the end squares will flash.

It doesn't explain this properly in the manual.

I was going to use Single Area, but if I focus on the subject, then recompose, it re-focuses on something else.

It was more straight forward on my film SLR - I just placed the middle of the viewfinder on what I wanted in focus.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I'm a Canon user, and have never used anything but single area focus, with the centre focus point. I get whatever point I want to focus on inside the focus point, then half press the shutter to auto-focus. Then, whilst still holding the shutter half down I recompose my shot and press the shutter to fire off the shot.
    These auto-focus modes are too smart for their own good most of the time - what they consider the ideal focus point isn't usually the same point that you want to use . . .
  • Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll give the single area focus another try and see what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's focusing ok on single area focus, but if I have it on auto mode, I have to change it to single area focus everytime, as it goes back to closest subject everytime auto mode is selected. But I will probably use it on aperture priority most of the time anyway. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try setting the focus mode to AF-S, instead of AF-A/C. If you have it set to auto or continuous, it may be automatically trying to refocus after you've composed.
    Then shoot on P/A/S/M instead of auto.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    There are different focus points because you don't always want the middle area in focus.

Compose your photo, decide what you want in focus, then select the focus point which is nearest.

By the sounds of it you have the camera to automatically set the AF point which it thinks is correct. Which often isn't the case. Best to manually select the point you want to correspond with the area you want in focus. This is much easier than it sounds and probably one of the best things you can learn to improve on your images' composition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pingu wrote: »
    Try setting the focus mode to AF-S, instead of AF-A/C. If you have it set to auto or continuous, it may be automatically trying to refocus after you've composed.
    Then shoot on P/A/S/M instead of auto.

Thank you! That's what I needed it on. It's a pity it doesn't give you that option on auto. Now I'll have to use it on P,A,S or M. At least I'll only have to adjust the aperture everytime - everything else should stay the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clh84 wrote: »
    There are different focus points because you don't always want the middle area in focus.

Compose your photo, decide what you want in focus, then select the focus point which is nearest.

By the sounds of it you have the camera to automatically set the AF point which it thinks is correct. Which often isn't the case. Best to manually select the point you want to correspond with the area you want in focus. This is much easier than it sounds and probably one of the best things you can learn to improve on your images' composition.

Thanks - I've got it sorted now.