Jammed cassette tape

I've got a jammed tape in my Kenwood home player. The transport won't move in either direction, and pressing eject only opens the door about 1/2 inch. Short of taking the cabinet apart, any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• StereRoweStereRowe Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Kenwood a 'logic' controlled deck? In other words does it have the old 'piano' type controls or buttons where the heads are electronically controlled.

If its the latter, can you tell if the heads have 'dropped' from the tape. If they have its probably un-spooled tape thats jamming the door. This means you could probably gently 'force' it open, pull out the cassette and carefully untangle it from the capstan and anything else its wrapped around.

The tape will be naff afterwards though, in all probability.

If the heads are 'locked' in the play position this is more tricky.

Switching the deck off and then back on sometimes clears these problems but the chances are you are looking at taking it apart, if you feel able.

Hope that helps.

StereRowe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may have to take it apart, I had an electronically controled deck, the motor stopped turning and it locked the deck shut. Unplugging it out and in again didn't unlock it. The tape was slightly damaged and could be played once to retrieve the contents. Cassette deck was destroyed of course:(
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that takes me back .....
    i just take the cover off and carefully take the tape out, and roll the tape back in it's casing .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice. After taking off the cover, and gently tweaking, I was able to get the tape off. It had wound around the support pin. I then tried the tape deck to find that the motor or switches are apparently shot, as it won't advance any tape!