Options

Van Damme Speaker cable - Maplins

As some will know I like experimenting with speaker cable.

I saw this stuff in maplins VU93B and I must admit it looks like a pretty wee cable. However does anyone know how it sounds?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Van Damme cable is often used for professional installations; recording studios and the like. Will definately give it a go sometime myself.

Can also be bought directly from VDC Trading.

There was a discussion on this very cable recently at HiFi Choice Forums here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have now bought some of this cable and on looks alone it is very very sexy stuff :D (if you like that sort of thing!). Very easy to cut as well for such a thick cable. I got two lengths of 2 metres of the 4 core 2.5mm Van Damme cable for my hifi. I also got two and a half metres of the 2 core van damme cable for my centre.

Unsure what to do with my two front speakers for my Home Cinema system. They can be biwired at the speaker but at my amp I have to put the two positives together in the red terminal and the two negatives in the black. Is this worthwhile?
    If it is should i get two lengths for each speaker of the 2 core cable or Should I just run two lengths of the 4 core for both.

Confused I know I am. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have now set the 4 core 2.5mm Van Damme Professional Loudspeaker cable up with my Marrantz CD player and Amp and also my TDL speakers.

On first listen I am very impressed, a wee bit more pricier than your T and E and CAT5 cables but to me it sounds slightly better and the base has improved.

Ratings for the last 5 speakers cables I have tried

1) Van Damme (£3.20 per metre for 4 core biwire, 1.99 for 2 core)
    2) T and E ( £0.14 Per metre)
    3) QED Silver Anniversary (£8.99 for biwire)
    4) Atlas 2.1.1 Biwire (£4.99 permetre)
    5) CAT5 (£0.40 per metre)

As you can see I was very dissapointed with the CAT5 It took me ages to make this up (before I am asked I did it properly) and If anything it got a wee bit strained at higher volumes. :(
    A good test album for your Hifi system is the latest Prodigy album as it certainly made me discard the CAT5. With the Van Damme it sounds excellent, and as already stated above it is a beautiful looking cable compared to the others and is very very flexible. :D