Films based on true stories - do you like them? - your favourites?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Is Bonnie and Clyde supposed to be a true story as I heard it was only loosely based on actual events?

Bonnie and Clyde were real people. There are some very interesting books about them out there which are worth a real if you are into crime and psychology.

The 1967 film, while very good, is EXTREMELY loose with the facts about the real B&C to the point where it might as well be a work of fiction.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, but can't a film be enjoyed on its own terms? Maybe it's easier for films that are blatantly fictionalised rather than puporting to wholly true. And if they can get someone to go into a library or bookshop to find out what really happened, then they'll have served a good purpose.

Sure, I never said it couldn't. I acknowledged in my post that many movies based on real life events can be very powerful.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    ^ Aye, you did. My mistake.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone needs to see Telstar!!!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ Aye, you did. My mistake.

No worries.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picnic at Hanging Rock is a good movie. It's based on a true story.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    Picnic at Hanging Rock is a good movie. It's based on a true story.

It's based on a novel that author Joan Lindsay claims is based on a true event, but no one could dig up the details of said true event. It's now generally agreed that William Ford's 1875 painting, Picnic at Hanging Rock which Lindsay saw during her art student days, is likely to be the inspiration.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Downfall needs a mention. Spartacus as well.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    It's based on a novel that author Joan Lindsay claims is based on a true event, but no one could dig up the details of said true event. It's now generally agreed that William Ford's 1875 painting, Picnic at Hanging Rock which Lindsay saw during her art student days, is likely to be the inspiration.
    I never knew that. So telling tales then:rolleyes:
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Yes, PAHR has been disproved long ago. In fact, Lindsay even wrote a final chapter with the 'solution' to the mystery, which was published after her death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    I never knew that. So telling tales then:rolleyes:

Neither did I until we planned a trip to Australia. While planning out the trip, I decided I wanted to check out the place so I looked up for the details for my parents. So gutted I was when I found out the truth. In my defence, I was only fifteen. :o:D
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Yes, PAHR has been disproved long ago. In fact, Lindsay even wrote a final chapter with the 'solution' to the mystery, which was published after her death.

I still wish I hadn't read that crappy chapter.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just watched The Conspirators on Blu_ray courtesy of Lovefilm. This was directed by Robert Redford and is based on the true story of Mary Surratt who was hanged in 1865 along with three others for conspiracy to murder President Abraham Lincoln. It showed the appalling indignities Mary Surratt endured, being tried by a military court rather than a civilian court in front of a jury. She was denied a fair trial because the authorities wanted vengeance for the murder of a president, although this tragedy did eventually lead to a change in the legal procedures. This film is worth a view.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Downfall needs a mention. Spartacus as well.

Both brilliant movies, especially Downfall which is a classic.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    I've just noticed that Heavenly Creatures is on next week on BBC1 on Sunday night. A good but tragic and haunting film that's based on true events.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned The Changeling yet? From the trailers, I'd dismissed it as a rather dreary missing child yarn, not realising it was based on a very disturbing real life series of events.

I've now watched it two or three times, and will no doubt watch it a few times more.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The Exorcist was based on true events wasn't it?
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    127 Hours.

As a concept for a film, it seems quite boring. But knowing it's a true story, mixed in with the amazing creativity of Danny Boyle, makes it a brilliant film, and one of the most squeamish scenes I've ever seen in a film.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silkwood is good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    127 Hours.

As a concept for a film, it seems quite boring. But knowing it's a true story, mixed in with the amazing creativity of Danny Boyle, makes it a brilliant film, and one of the most squeamish scenes I've ever seen in a film.

For me it was sort of ruined by knowing what happened, just think how shocked the audience would've been if they did not know what was going to happen....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    I've just noticed that Heavenly Creatures is on next week on BBC1 on Sunday night. A good but tragic and haunting film that's based on true events.

Is that the one where the two girls kill one of their mothers? I find it upsetting - poor woman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    The Clinic is good..Australian film ( recognized some actress from Neighbours in it lol)
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that the one where the two girls kill one of their mothers? I find it upsetting - poor woman.
    It is, and for me, it's Peter Jackson's best film, after which he seemed to become totally obsessed with CGI.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Insidious was much better than The Amytival Horror
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    I thought Insidious was much better than The Amytival Horror

If you think Insidious is a true story then you need help! :eek:

There's a great little TV movie called Stalking Laura which came out in 1993. Richard Thomas stars as a guy stalking co-worker Brooke Shields. All based on a true story and totally chilling. One of the best TV movies I've seen. Just don't watch the version they've been showing on the True Entertainment channel as it's cut to ribbons!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The Exorcist was based on true events wasn't it?

I seriously doubt it. Events in The Exorcist are so outlandish (in the film and novel) that it's pretty much a comedy. If I were to make a bet, the novel was probably inspired by a newspaper article with no verified sources.