Options

James Rodriguez

NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
Forum Member
Was thoroughly impressed his performances in the World Cup and thought I would dedicate this thread to him.

Can't believe I didn't know about him beforehand but this was probably because of playing in the French league with Monaco who did not play in European competitions last season.

Decent YT vid on him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5KVc4mExM

Also see that he's close to a move to Real Madrid for a bargain £63m for a potential future world's best player imo.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Many were impressed , i certainly was!
    Still very young , potentially a future Balon D'Or :)

Player!
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does money grown on trees around Madrid and Barcelona :p
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »

You'd think so wouldn't you. Comes down to their unfair monopoly on the La Liga TV money and their convenient loans they get from the bank!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks a terrific player, but his value has doubled because of performances in the WC.
    The figure reported is €90m, more than £70m..that's a hell of a lot even in these crazy times.
  • Options
    PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Real do end up getting him for silly money as it will inevitably lead to two more great players gracing the premier league.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this would be a very smart buy for Real. He could compliment the team very well. So far, Real is making the best buying decisions in my view.

I cannot believe that ManU didn't sign him up in 2010 for £5mio!! Instead they bought the more expensive Bebe who is virtually unsaleable now.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone said in 2010 United were bonkers for not signing him, I remember it like it was yesterday.

They should have realised four years later he was a shoo in for the World Cup golden boot.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Looks a great player but come on, £70m is ridiculous money for having a good WC :eek:
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £70m for a player that doesn't bang in 20 league goals on a regular basis is a huge risk.

And if Real do sign him it means they will probably sell some players which could weaken the team.
  • Options
    JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rodriguez, Bale & Ronaldo vs Messi, Neymar & Suarez?

Droooooooools all over....
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Instead they bought the more expensive Bebe who is virtually unsaleable now.

And who has just been sold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And who has just been sold.

For the 7million he cost them?
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    For the 7million he cost them?

I don't know what the fee is, but you said he was 'virtually unsaleable'.

That's different to 'virtually unsaleable for the price that they bought him for'.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    £70m for a player that doesn't bang in 20 league goals on a regular basis is a huge risk.

And if Real do sign him it means they will probably sell some players which could weaken the team.

It's not really a risk when they've got Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale who will likely get close to 80 league goals between them next season. For James It's just a case of feeding those players and chipping in with 10-15.

Surely one of their midfielders will be available now though. I think Khedira and Isco could struggle to get into the team.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »

Its crazy isnt it, Bale, Ronaldo, James, Messi, Suarez and Neymar - is the premiership still gonna be the most popular league with all the star power in Spain?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely back to a two team league next season with all the reinforcements Barca/Real have bought in and all the players Atletico have lost this summer.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news for me is that this should put an end to Real Madrid sniffing round Marcus Tudgay on a free transfer.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    So many of the world's top players at just 3 clubs right now.
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Must be sickening for Atletico, won the league last year and unable to match anything Madrid and Barca can offer.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    So which of the front 3 would you rather have?

Madrid's or Barca's.

Feel a bit for Atletico but it shows what a great achievement last season was for them.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    So which of the front 3 would you rather have?

Madrid's or Barca's.

Feel a bit for Atletico but it shows what a great achievement last season was for them.

I think Barca just edge it having picked up Suarez (best striker in the world atm imo) and having Messi who just shades it for being best player ahead of Ronaldo. Bale and Rodriguez are more than capable of stepping up though.

The Classicos should be tasty next season especially if all 6 are on the pitch at once.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barcelona still have a shit defence and they still haven't replaced Puyol. Pique wasn't exactly somebody who looks reliable at the moment with his shambolic defensive performance against Holland at the WC.

Barca's defense is the problem and they've been gradual decline (by their high standards) ever since Guardiola left. They keep spending millions and millions on high profile forwards without correcting their biggest weakness.

Real Madrid have good coach and come across as the more balanced side. I would make them favourites to win la liga.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    It's not really a risk when they've got Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale who will likely get close to 80 league goals between them next season. For James It's just a case of feeding those players and chipping in with 10-15.

Surely one of their midfielders will be available now though. I think Khedira and Isco could struggle to get into the team.

Yeah, I'd say Di Maria & Khedira are the most likely to move on.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though Monaco were a "Buying" club
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Barcelona still have a shit defence and they still haven't replaced Puyol. Pique wasn't exactly somebody who looks reliable at the moment with his shambolic defensive performance against Holland at the WC.

Barca's defense is the problem and they've been gradual decline (by their high standards) ever since Guardiola left. They keep spending millions and millions on high profile forwards without correcting their biggest weakness.

Real Madrid have good coach and come across as the more balanced side. I would make them favourites to win la liga.

This absolutely. Barca's buying policy is bizarre! Were they not going to get Hummels?

Real will win.