BattleField 3

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    It looks like they are going to be rental only servers from now on http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/898819-battlefield-3-servers-are-now-rental-only

I'm not sure you've read that properly cos that's not what it says. I'm confident that that would never happen for BF3, standard servers are still too popular.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    I'm not sure you've read that properly cos that's not what it says. I'm confident that that would never happen for BF3, standard servers are still too popular.

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-kills-free-battlefield-3-servers-pushes-paid-ones-227296.phtml
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    It makes the whole online pass system a farce. At least let you search for matches by ticket amount in future.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DICE open more official server after complaints from gamers.

http://www.examiner.com/article/more-battlefield-3-dice-run-servers-after-complaints-about-rented-servers

Personally I like the sound of these custom servers, it was always what made PC online so much better than console as you could find a server to actually suit your own needs. To me it sounds like the problem itself is not with the custom servers but rather with either the implementation of the servers / search functions in the game or idiots setting up servers.

If this game has custom server does it have a proper server list so you can browse all the servers running?
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    DICE open more official server after complaints from gamers.

http://www.examiner.com/article/more-battlefield-3-dice-run-servers-after-complaints-about-rented-servers

Personally I like the sound of these custom servers, it was always what made PC online so much better than console as you could find a server to actually suit your own needs. To me it sounds like the problem itself is not with the custom servers but rather with either the implementation of the servers / search functions in the game or idiots setting up servers.

If this game has custom server does it have a proper server list so you can browse all the servers running?
    The game was launched with a server browser, the problem with the custom servers is that you don't have enough control to customize the server, unlike you can with (for example) Counter-Strike or Unreal Tournament servers.

People put up messages like no shotguns allowed but there isn't the option to disable shotguns from the weapons menu once the server has been joined. You can't actually create a pistol or knife only server because of this lack of customization.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »

That says nothing. It just highlights there aren't many official servers. I've never had a problem getting on an official server.

I also like to play the game as intended. I don't get the no shotguns and knife only crap or the same map 24/7 with 2 gazillion tickets so if that's the way they want to go then I won't be playing and I'm sure there are loads of people thinking the same
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the the same map 24/7 with 2 gazillion tickets so if that's the way they want to go then I won't be playing and I'm sure there are loads of people thinking the same
    I meet half way with that.

I love 1k ticket servers, 1.5k i can tolerate, 2k or more is far too much. And only if the map rotation is 1-round per map rather than the usual 2-rounds per map. I only play on caspian, firestorm, canals, kharg, i get tired/bored if theres only 1 map on the server.

These servers with like less than 300 tickets... just as im starting to really enjoy myself.. Game over! im like FFS man wtf......... might as well get an error message of "You have lost connection with the server" its the same thing.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    The game was launched with a server browser, the problem with the custom servers is that you don't have enough control to customize the server, unlike you can with (for example) Counter-Strike or Unreal Tournament servers.

People put up messages like no shotguns allowed but there isn't the option to disable shotguns from the weapons menu once the server has been joined. You can't actually create a pistol or knife only server because of this lack of customization.

:( Disappointing, sunds like DICE still need to work on this before going premium only. The concept is great though and I hope the kinks get worked out as it could really improve console online to the level of PC online if they can get this right. I miss having a handful of servers I really like and revisiting them each time I play online (For me the whole community nature of online gaming was lost with the loss of servers)
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not had a problem so far really on custom servers, but makes you wonder if nobody rents one (or they are all locked) then there really HAS to be DICE servers.

That said, love the fact that there even are servers and not hosted by individuals like COD. Game runs a treat.

Cant believe my bloomin team lost a game this afternoon. I was 1st in my team and we had 40 odd tickets to their 10 or so and we bloomin lost it. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double XP this weekend until 8am monday (I think)
    I am slowly getting the hang of helicopters, finally. Though I hate getting in them because it feels like a waste as I will eventually crash it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I dont go in choppers or planes for that reason too, though everyone's gotta learn somehow. Its funny if you take one and someone spawns beside you. You're like....Really!!....you realise you're gonna die or be parachuting soon. LOL

Any Battlefielder's on Ps3 wanna add me feel free, just let me know your from here. I'm not brill, but do play for the objective. Seem to be unlocking loads of guns at the moment but havent looked into whether its worth swapping over to them yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waal, enjoyed playing in the 1000 ticket game tonight guys. Got my 2nd place trophy into the bargain, thanks.
  • Kopite79Kopite79 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone who fancies a bit of flight practice I would recommend jumping into an empty server. It's how I learned anyway. I like the legacy control setup best for choppers personally. I rarely get in jets. Just find myself getting bored when I'm in one and don't feel like I'm contributing all that much to winning the game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a dream related to BF3 last night, lol
    I rarely ever dream and i dont think ive ever dreampt of being a soldier.
    I dont play BF3 loads either, on average maybe 20 hours a week?

Started in a place that looked similar to Tehran Highway as if it was in England, there was cars and people, i had the feeling that people sensed our country could be heading to war very soon because the Argentines want the oil from the Falklands, people were scared they'd have to be called into service like men were in WW2.
    Then i was in some command place looking at a sonar radar sort of screen, looked like some new RTS game lol. The screen was looking at The Falklands docks, there had been rumours the Argentines may plan an invasion on the island so we sent just one HMS battleship there it was the only one near. Then an armada fleet of hundreds of Argentine ships showed up on the radar it looked like the D-Day landings of WW2. Our ship instantly surrendered.

Then i was on the ground in the Falklands in some small town with houses, i was a soldier with an RPG launcher like a BF3 engineer. An M1 Abrams tank rolled in (thought how wtf the Argentines got one of those?), just like they do in BF3 into a flag compound. I shot at the tank and missed, had no more rockets, there was a small bucket of RPG's near so i ran and grabbed it, shot at the tank 1 or 2 more times, an enemy soldier sneaked around the corner he didnt see me, i got out my knife grabbed him from behind and killed him quietly (didnt take his dog tags though for some reason, i have a fetish for collecting them in BF3), then i noticed i hadnt got anymore RPG's for the final killer blow to the tank - i was like... S**T!! wtf am i gonna do now? then i woke up :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    I had a dream related to BF3 last night, lol
    I rarely ever dream and i dont think ive ever dreampt of being a soldier.
    I dont play BF3 loads either, on average maybe 20 hours a week?

An average of around 3hrs a day isn't loads? Some of us have work and kids you know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An average of around 3hrs a day isn't loads? Some of us have work and kids you know!
    Hey, when i wasnt in work i used to game all day every day!
    These days my job uses up 45-50 hours /week of my time, gym 7-10 hours, BF3 for 20 hours, TV, internet, family, friends for the remainder.
    Kids? not yet, if ever!
    Have been saving hard for a mortgage deposit for now and the next 18 months, want to move into the city centre with a friend so i can ditch my car (saving of over £300/month) and dont need taxi's when out at the bars/clubs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Hey, when i wasnt in work i used to game all day every day!
    These days my job uses up 45-50 hours /week of my time, gym 7-10 hours, BF3 for 20 hours, TV, internet, family, friends for the remainder.
    Kids? not yet, if ever!

Being self employed I SHOULD spend 40 or so hours a week working, but alas my Xbox calls me away far too easily.
    Will probably have to give myself a written warning.

I found a flying practice server earlier, such a good way to learn to fly. Though shooting people without crashing, that is my next Everest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant game, so glad I switched over to it. Enjoyed loads of the campaign too and even dive back in to replay some missions on it.

Not keen on the small maps like metro, but love the large maps, where vehicles can get involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Brilliant game, so glad I switched over to it. Enjoyed loads of the campaign too and even dive back in to replay some missions on it.

Not keen on the small maps like metro, but love the large maps, where vehicles can get involved.

Glad you enjoy it. It has a pretty steep learning curve to start but if you can find a good squad you have some awesome games.
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took a break to try Starhawk (meh, not for me at the moment, too many balancing issues) and Max Payne 3 (superb), but I came back to BF3 on saturday night for a late session - I was a bit rusty, but what a blast.

BF3 is just superb imo, plenty of things to aim for: assignments, weapon unlocks, ribbons, medals, and you can have a lot of fun while doing it. It was nice to see so many official dice servers back as well.

Worst part of the night - losing Bazaar rush round while on defence in under 6 mins. Wow. Either we were utter rubbish or they were great.

Best part of the night - coming back from 70 tickets down on Firestorm CQ to win by 5 tickets.

But I enjoyed all of it. Brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main thing that annoys me is getting base raped if you come up against a good team on the smaller maps. Also, it is so hard to get that last M-com thing on Rush. I know thats not a real flaw, just its bloody hard. My main focus is conquest on the big maps.
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    The main thing that annoys me is getting base raped if you come up against a good team on the smaller maps. Also, it is so hard to get that last M-com thing on Rush. I know thats not a real flaw, just its bloody hard. My main focus is conquest on the big maps.

Getting stuck in the base is very annoying, but I don't like to quit (lol, quit% is my best stat according to bf3stats), so if this happens and there is just no way out I usually try and use the time to complete an assignment or something (I don't play recon very much, so I got the required sniper kills for the first recon assignment whenever I was locked in a base).

I used to stick to cq as well, but since the official servers changed rotation I play alot more rush which does mix things up a bit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah Rush is ok, generally easier attacking I feel, and all is ok up til the last M-com, which is to be expected. I dont quit either. Its my goal to sneak ok somehow and then cap the furthest away zone to allow the team to spawn out there,
  • ExoPaulExoPaul Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Spawning on your team is how to win Rush. If everyone just tries to literally Rush in then its a bloodbath but if you can take the long way around and flank the enemy who are defending, then wait there resisting the temptation to go fight, your team will soon spawn on you and suddenly the enemy have attacks coming front and rear and it confuses them! During the sudden "run around and kill the damn enemies that are everywhere" panic that your enemy does, sneak in and plant the last M-Com bomb. Hopefully there will be enough people alive to keep an eye on it and slow them down long enough for it to blow.

As for the different classes and getting assignments completed or ranking up etc..... its worth doing for the first few ranks because it then unlocks the standard same assault weapons for all classes and that will then allow you to run around as a Recon using a machine gun or an assault shotgun with Flechette ammo on the likes of Operation Metro. That is much quicker at ranking up your Recon than sitting sniping all day long. And it is also worth getting the shotguns ranked up ready for the DLC coming June which are all close quarters combat which shotguns will be ideal for!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Spawning on your team is how to win Rush. If everyone just tries to literally Rush in then its a bloodbath but if you can take the long way around and flank the enemy who are defending, then wait there resisting the temptation to go fight, your team will soon spawn on you and suddenly the enemy have attacks coming front and rear and it confuses them! During the sudden "run around and kill the damn enemies that are everywhere" panic that your enemy does, sneak in and plant the last M-Com bomb. Hopefully there will be enough people alive to keep an eye on it and slow them down long enough for it to blow

I absolutely cane smoke grenades to increase the confusion too, if you have the frag perk enabled then it's like having an industrial dry ice machine going.