Phones4U policy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
Forum Member
Had to take a faulty Nokia back to Phones4U today (it keeps switching itself off). I asked for a replacement, as I'm within the 28 day policy they have on their receipts. No can't do that sir. Ok can I get a refund as the phone isn't fit for the purpose for which it is intended. No sir we don't give refunds. Excuse me but the phone is faulty, here's my receipt and I'd like a refund. Muppet points me to a small poster on the wall of which part of it states "we do not offer refunds even if the goods are faulty". I kind of went mad then saying that can't be right and I'm not leaving without a replacement or a refund and I'll be in touch with Trading Standards etc in the morning.

So then he says what I can do is send it away to restore the phone to factory settings. Told him I could have done that, most phones allow you to do that these days.

Cut a really long one short he eventually phones another branch and agrees to give me a replacement.

But what about this no refund even if goods are faulty, sure that can't be legal?

Comments

• PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Of course it's illegal, this is phones4U we're talking about - the biggest cowboys on the high street. I'm surprised they don't tempt customers with contract phones by offering free pot.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    Of course it's illegal, this is phones4U we're talking about - the biggest cowboys on the high street. I'm surprised they don't tempt customers with contract phones by offering free pot.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Thanks for that Pencil. Hopefully the replacement will work. If not I'll be getting a refund next time and taking my money somewhere more reliable. Cheers.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    It's not illegal. Within the first six months they can choose to offer a repair or replacement instead of a refund. They are also allowed a short time to examine the item before deciding what to do.
    If the network offers am extra 28 day exchange then you should take it up with them not the retailer.
    Forum Member
    prking wrote: »
    It's not illegal. Within the first six months they can choose to offer a repair or replacement instead of a refund. They are also allowed a short time to examine the item before deciding what to do.
    If the network offers am extra 28 day exchange then you should take it up with them not the retailer.

None of this is anything to do with the network. Its a payg handset and I had to buy a £10 top-up but the receipt is from phones4u and its on the back of it that mentions 28 days for refund/replacement.

But it was anyway this muppet initially reusing to refund or replace and just pointed at some little poster stating no refunds even if goods are faulty. That means they could go and buy a whole batch of faulty phones on the cheap, sell them in their shops knowing they're faulty, happy in the knowledge you or I haven't got a leg to stand on when we find the problem with the handset and try to take it back. How is that legal?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »

They initially denied the request for a replacement, & only gave in after the OP threatened to go to Trading Standards.

Also, within a "reasonable time" after purchase (usually 28 days), you *are* allowed to request a refund for faulty goods, instead of repair/replacement.

campioni06 -

In addition to the earlier link, have a read of this:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

And remember: SALE OF GOODS ACT! :D
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Also, within a "reasonable time" after purchase (usually 28 days), you *are* allowed to request a refund for faulty goods, instead of repair/replacement.

Cheers Matt I kind of thought that's always been the case but then you go into some of these shops and they point you to a bit of paper and you start doubting yourself:eek:
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem :)

I think the moral of this story is... Never buy anything from Phones4U ;):)
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Indeed, the only reason to even go into phones 4u is if you are trying to play the virtually impossible game of trying to stay in there for ten seconds without a sales assistant coming to harass you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    They do tell you to say anything you can to get a sale, and do anything you can to avoid giving a refund. At one point I bought a "universal" data cable from a customer myself because someone else had told them it would work with their phone, which it didn't, and the manager refused to give them a refund.

Phones4U don't know anything about customer service - they are run by people who are of the opinion that a good salesman can make anyone buy anything. When the reality is, if you don't want to buy something, no matter what amazing discount they offer or free insurance they give you or whatever, badgering people just turns them off permanently. The hard sell does not work in today's society - people are much more clued up as to both their rights and the goods they are looking to purchase, and the sooner Phones4U realises this the better.