ps vita

Comments

• Lith66Lith66 Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Just a quick question. as I'm thinking of buying one for my holiday trip

How good is the internet browser? I like to go to forum like this and can I type easy on it.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lith66 wrote: »
    Just a quick question. as I'm thinking of buying one for my holiday trip

How good is the internet browser? I like to go to forum like this and can I type easy on it.

The browser is awful with no flash or HTML5 support, it's far worse than any Smartphone.
  • Lith66Lith66 Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    The browser is awful with no flash or HTML5 support, it's far worse than any Smartphone.

Thanks saves me money. going to get a vita in a few years time when the price drop.

:)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Flash - one can usually get by though infuriating when you need it.
    Don't almost all web sites cope without HTML 5 ?
    I thought it was not that pervasive yet and to actually use HTML 5 is more the can of worms and STILL IN DRAFT.

Internet Explorer 8 does not use HTML 5 so that's 20% or so of all internet users stuffed too!

I thought you did not have one Gormond?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it seems that IE8 leads IE9 by 50%+ in usage so anyone daring to use HTML 5 has to allow for this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    No Flash - one can usually get by though infuriating when you need it.
    Don't almost all web sites cope without HTML 5 ?
    I thought it was not that pervasive yet and to actually use HTML 5 is more the can of worms and STILL IN DRAFT.

Internet Explorer 8 does not use HTML 5 so that's 20% or so of all internet users stuffed too!

I thought you did not have one Gormond?

pretty much all video sites use either Flash or HTML5 or both. With the Vita doing neither that pretty much rules out all video content.

I don't own one no but friends do so have used it and the browser is awful like the PS3s browser and even that's better.

I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone buy it for this purpose, your far better off with a smartphone or even iPod Touch if you planning to use it via WiFi.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree - I love the Vita but I couldn't recommend it for anything other than emergency web browsing.

For playing games, on the other hand (y'know, what it's for ;)) it's bloody brilliant. Personally I'd rather they hadn't bothered putting a web browser on the thing....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    Have to agree - I love the Vita but I couldn't recommend it for anything other than emergency web browsing.

For playing games, on the other hand (y'know, what it's for ;)) it's bloody brilliant. Personally I'd rather they hadn't bothered putting a web browser on the thing....

Issue is there isn't enough games ATM that I would want to play. I will get one in a year when more games are out and possibly a second version of the Vita with built in storage and so forth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it appears that those who want youtube viewing install a youtube downloader add-on for it.

My Internet Explorer 8, if I ever used it requires Adobe Flash to view.
    I could be wrong but maybe it recognises the video element in any web site?

Sony should have employed Opera to write/compile the browser.
  • RoyceRoyce Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    The Vita`s down to £175 now
    http://vanillaplay.com/cheap-vita/
    Thats with a 4GB card and a discount on a selection of games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed and an even bigger saving is the 3G model which has been reduced from £242 to £210.

Both come with an offer to pay £15 and get a 4GB memory card and a game.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that Nintendo are suffering as well as they have announced a loss alongside falling sales.

I mean, who would have thunk that the Vita would have slow sales during a global recession.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nintendo also announced that since the price cut, every 3DS sold has been at a loss. Kind of put things in perspective for those that reckoned the Vita only cost £100 for Sony to make.

There is also a rumour that Metal Gear Rising: Reveneance is making an appearance on the Vita.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    It seems that Nintendo are suffering as well as they have announced a loss alongside falling sales.

I mean, who would have thunk that the Vita would have slow sales during a global recession.

Mean while..http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/technology/apple-profits-up-as-iphone-sales-grow-88.html?_r=1
    Apple profits almost double, so the recession isn't much of an excuse.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    Mean while..http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/technology/apple-profits-up-as-iphone-sales-grow-88.html?_r=1
    Apple profits almost double, so the recession isn't much of an excuse.

Apple will always profit because they are Apple, they could market iShit and it would break world record sales of manure. :p

Also it is a bit insulting of you, nearly all major companies are going through a rough patch due to the economy "Well Apple are doing fine, you all must suck!" isn't the best way to go about it.

Fact is, Apple are recession proof, their market team have built up an amazing grip that any other company in the world wishes they could have.

Personally, and I have used these devices, I think they are overpriced for what you are getting, hardware wise anyway, and the brand is being dragged down by it's own fans who try and force other people to convert like it's some sort of cult/religion.

I mean, what other company has people queuing up all over the world to throw down £500 on a tablet? Setting up little camps and group gatherings outside the stores, etc. I find it rather creepy, but hell, hats off to Apple, their marketing and branding is just a thing of pure unstoppable force.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Apple will always profit because they are Apple, they could market iShit and it would break world record sales of manure. :p

Also it is a bit insulting of you, nearly all major companies are going through a rough patch due to the economy "Well Apple are doing fine, you all must suck!" isn't the best way to go about it.

Fact is, Apple are recession proof, their market team have built up an amazing grip that any other company in the world wishes they could have.

Personally, and I have used these devices, I think they are overpriced for what you are getting, hardware wise anyway, and the brand is being dragged down by it's own fans who try and force other people to convert like it's some sort of cult/religion.

I mean, what other company has people queuing up all over the world to throw down £500 on a tablet? Setting up little camps and group gatherings outside the stores, etc. I find it rather creepy, but hell, hats off to Apple, their marketing and branding is just a thing of pure unstoppable force.

Well that isn't really much of an argument at this point, this isn't 2001 when the ipod came out at 500 dollars, this is over a decade down the line and if you still have to pretend apple is tricking people with marketing, it just comes off as sour grapes.

Sony used to be able to get people to buy their stuff, people snatched walkmen off the shelves when those came out, they just have missed the mark and lost their touch, it isn't about marketing if you aren't producing products that appeal to the mass market.

Over priced? Have you looked at the price of vita/memory cards and games?:D

The number of people that line up is how many? A few of the die hard fans. How many do apple sell? Millions, so you are basing your disdain on a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of their user base.

Again, this type of fanboy blanket dismissal just no longer holds any water, if you look at it objectively apple has got it right, and sony has been tripping over itself for the last decade. You can pretend apple users are all idiots to rationalize your view of reality, but that is kinda a sad way to see the world.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple has got the kudos that Sony used to have.

There is also the fact that Apple market mass-market devices such as the iPod and iPhone. The Walkman was also a mass market device appealing to a greater section of the public.

The Vita is a niche device. It is a high end gaming device with a high price tag.

The potential market for an Apple device is considerably higher than for the Vita/3DS and the market shows this. You don't have to be a gamer to buy an iPod or iPhone but if you are not a gamer then you won't buy a Vita/3DS.

I wonder if Apple made a hand-held games console whether they would sell as well as their other products. I think not. It is not a good time to release niche products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think gaming on the move is niche as almost everyone does it but the problem with the DS and Vita is that people have their phones to play games that look every bit as good. The Physical controls is the only plus point and most people aren't willing to pay for that.

Also cost of games is an issue, games like football manager is a perfect example as its a fraction of the price for phones compared to the Vita.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    I don't think gaming on the move is niche as almost everyone does it but the problem with the DS and Vita is that people have their phones to play games that look every bit as good. The Physical controls is the only plus point and most people aren't willing to pay for that.

Also cost of games is an issue, games like football manager is a perfect example as its a fraction of the price for phones compared to the Vita.

Yes smart phones can push out good looking games but physical controls is not the only thing it is lacking.

Big budget games still end up on dedicated handhelds. I have no interest in smartphone gaming as I want buttons plus no smartphone can give me Zelda, mario, resident evil etc etc.

Publishers are not gonna spend big money on development to then sell it for £5 on app stores. That is never gonna happen.

Smartphones have now got the casual gamer though, the gamer who would play brain age on the train with the DS now doesn't feel they need a dedicated handheld. That's the market ninty need to get back.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i must be honest, im this close to trading my vita this afternoon....

because i think the kids would get more fun from kinect and kinect star wars..

somebody give me a reason to keep it....
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinnect Star Wars is the work of satan: How's that for a reason? ;)
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Well that isn't really much of an argument at this point, this isn't 2001 when the ipod came out at 500 dollars, this is over a decade down the line and if you still have to pretend apple is tricking people with marketing, it just comes off as sour grapes.

Sony used to be able to get people to buy their stuff, people snatched walkmen off the shelves when those came out, they just have missed the mark and lost their touch, it isn't about marketing if you aren't producing products that appeal to the mass market.

The number of people that line up is how many? A few of the die hard fans. How many do apple sell? Millions, so you are basing your disdain on a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of their user base.

Again, this type of fanboy blanket dismissal just no longer holds any water, if you look at it objectively apple has got it right, and sony has been tripping over itself for the last decade. You can pretend apple users are all idiots to rationalize your view of reality, but that is kinda a sad way to see the world.

...Where did I even mention Sony? OH, because this is in the Vita section, I MUST be a fanboy for having my opinion on Apple, dude, I'd say the same thing in the PC section, would I be a Windows fanboy there? I didn't even insult Apple really, I said they have brilliant marketing and a massive grip on people, it's their fans who are somewhat deluded and crazy, and I'm talking about the hardcore ones, the people who wouldn't touch any "geeky" devices but by new iPods and iPads every year.

As for your comment on the Vita prices, I find that a bit LOL-worthy when Apple do musch worse, have you checked Upgraded RAM prices on Apple's website, Apple customers pay around £110 for what PC users pay £30 for. :p
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ipod was an actual new invention, and it was a brilliant peice of design, Apple hasn't actually done anything new since the iPhone/iPod touch was released, they just keep wrapping the same thing up in increasingly shinier packaging and people lap it up year on year.

Personally, I would rather spend £270 (or much less as is now the case) on a dedicated game machine that is the best Sony could produce for the price and will (all being well) be supported for at least the next four years than pay twice as much for something which is a web-browser/video-player with gaming capabilities produced on a controlled schedule which will see it replaced by an incremental upgrade within 18 months.

Apple's business plan is horrible IMHO, and the fact they have become the monster they have makes me feel a little sick sometimes, particularly when you consider they could produce all their products in the US and still turn an obscene profit.
  • simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was waiting on a price drop then thought why wait months for a £50 price drop when i could be playing on vita now rather than watching web for price drop (drooling like a kid outside a sweat shop looking in window)

I'm not saying there is going to be a £50 price drop as 1st sony will probaly bundle in some games, but I love me vita for when tv is tied up.

I don't use it like a main console and play now & then as I don't want to play all the games i got to deatch, like some I've seen & now want to sell there vita as there bored with it.

ok there's not allot of games coming out at moment (give it time) 3ds & vita will keep me happy & I treat meself to gadget for all the exercise & in 6 months I'll be wanting a wii U:D