Ipad Mini availability ?

Comments

• grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I would like someone to explain to me the business logic of this clever stock control to drum up demand!!

I can understand creating a fever prior to release but controlling stock after release does not seem like a sensible thing to do.

Well judging by a similar conversation regarding the Nexus 4 phone being out of stock with Google, it's not. Because there are a couple of people there who are planning to buy something else, because there's no sign of stock. By that indicator, making people wait ages for iPad Minis would drive them to buy a Kindle or Nexus tablet instead.

It's more likely that it's just really popular and they have a shortage of parts for manufacture.
  • highnalhighnal Posts: 2,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well judging by a similar conversation regarding the Nexus 4 phone being out of stock with Google, it's not. Because there are a couple of people there who are planning to buy something else, because there's no sign of stock. By that indicator, making people wait ages for iPad Minis would drive them to buy a Kindle or Nexus tablet instead.

It's more likely that it's just really popular and they have a shortage of parts for manufacture.

Yep, that's exactly the position I'm in.
    I have HMV vouchers to spend on a Xmas present, dying to get a tablet and really want the iPad Mini, but seeing as no one from HMV can tell me when it'll be in stock, I'm seriously considering getting the Nexus 7.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    highnal wrote: »
    Yep, that's exactly the position I'm in.
    I have HMV vouchers to spend on a Xmas present, dying to get a tablet and really want the iPad Mini, but seeing as no one from HMV can tell me when it'll be in stock, I'm seriously considering getting the Nexus 7.

Yes, it would be commercial madness to artificially control availability, particularly at this time of year when people are on a deadline with presents. And the Nexus 7 is an excellent second best :)
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I would like someone to explain to me the business logic of this clever stock control to drum up demand!!

I can understand creating a fever prior to release but controlling stock after release does not seem like a sensible thing to do.

No expaination required. It isn't logical and it isn't clever.

Lots of conspiricay theorists believe this. However, it is of course in Apples interest to sell as many of these, in the busiest selling period of the year.

But, with the ongoing legal dispute with Samsung, they decided to source the screen from alternate suppliers, who are having a higher than usual rejection rate on screen quality. Hence there is a shortage.

You can bet that Apple are cursing too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    yes i have a john lewis voucher and no mini i pads to spend it on!
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Ipad Mini was not due to be delivered until 12th Dec,just got an Email now despatched and delivery 6th Dec :D
  • 01tomki01tomki Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    wacky joe wrote: »
    My Ipad Mini was not due to be delivered until 12th Dec,just got an Email now despatched and delivery 6th Dec :D

I got the same thing! my date was the 12th but now it is the 7th. Im just glad its coming on a day when I can stay in so dont get that stupid card through the post saying 'sorry, you were not in' I dont seem to be able to track my package through the TNT website though, but I think this is because its still outside the UK.

If anyone still wants to get hold of one for xmas, it seems that Apple stores get them daily, but you need to be in the shop first thing :)
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Do shops have them on display? It seems you can't buy one ANYWHERE, everywhere sold out.

They are on display in PCWorld/Currys. On their website it says the black 32gb is available for home delivery and order + collect. Seems hard to believe when you can't get them anywhere else but it doesn't say that the white one or the 16gb are available :-/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Well... Today I got to play with one for a bit along side the Nexus, which I was also considering, and I am now definitely going for the Mini. For me personally, the screen size and aspect ratio is much better on the Mini, the Nexus felt like a large mobile phone.

I already have a iPad3 64/4G and bought the mini 64gb from Tesco Uk 3 weeks ago, and I must admit its beautifully made, but You cannot compare fairly between a Nexus 32gb at £199 or indeed even cheaper at Carphone Warehouse for £179 with the iPad Mini.

The 32gb Wifi iPad mini retails in the UK for £349 that over £150 more than the equivalent Nexus. Also the Nexus has bullt-in GPS and the Mini Wifi does not, if you want GPS on the Mini it will cost you another £100.

Also the 16/9 aspect of the Nexus is definately better if you play a lot of films and of course it's 1280x800 resolution compared to the iPad mini's 1080x768, though I assume due to it's lower price the panel will likely be a cheaper unit than the one Apple are using.
    A Neighbour of mine has the 32Gb Nexus and he frequently gets 17hrs from his battery, though he says he did have to delete or stop a lot of the unwanted Google crap from running in background to achieve it..lol He seems quite pleased anyway.

Don't mis-understand me.. I'm not knocking the mini, but I've also played with the Nexus 32gb running on the latest Jellybean 4.2 and the Nexus is an excellent tablet for it's unbelievable low price, and TBH is probably much better value when compared to the mini.
    The Nexus build quality may be cheaper than the iPad mini, but I was surprised at how good it actually was, though I believe Asus did have a few issues with the earlier releases of the Nexus, AFAIK most of those have now been resolved.
    Hence... why they decided to award the Nexus the Tablet of the Year.

I'm not biased either way, but I do tell it as it is. There is no doubt like most things in life you get what you pay for, if you want better quality it will cost you more. However although I'm a keen Apple fan I admit that currently the Nexus is the best value Tablet for less than £200 and Apple really should have reduced it's price further, but they know Apple fans like myself and many others will pay the premium purely because it's an Apple product and desire that little extra quality but I'm also of the opinion that Nexus 32gb owners are getting a far better deal for their money than we are.

It seems the larger 32 and 64gb models of the mini are now filtering through, several PC World stores within 30 miles all have stock of the larger GB sizes, as does Tesco and some other stores. The 16gb being the cheapest is still in short supply as they go out pretty quick when they do get any.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All good points except the 16.9 aspect part. As I understand it, even when showing a widescreen movie the actual displayed area is greater on the iPad mini than the nexus. It was the significant extra screen space that made me put an iPad mini on my Xmas lis and not a nexus (well and the fact that I'm not overly impressed with android)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    All good points except the 16.9 aspect part. As I understand it, even when showing a widescreen movie the actual displayed area is greater on the iPad mini than the nexus. It was the significant extra screen space that made me put an iPad mini on my Xmas lis and not a nexus (well and the fact that I'm not overly impressed with android)

I didn't say the iPad mini does not have a larger screen area, it most certainly does... what I was saying is that most films are now released in widescreen, therefore the aspect ration on the Nexus is more suitable for wide screen films. Size of the screen is totally different issue, the iPad mini is quite a bit larger, I was refering to the aspect ratio only. The iPad would of course be great if all films came in 4/3..lol

On the Nexus you would fill the screen more when watching a widescreen film, the iPad would have black bars top/bottom unless you stretched it, in which case you would lose some of the picture from the left/right edge, assuming you kept the aspect correct. Same goes for the Nexus if watching a older 4/3 film the user would have bars down either side unless he stretched it. I doubt many people would want to go back to a 4/3 telly,:D AIS for eveything else it can have benefits.:)
    In all other respects I prefer the size of the iPad mini.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lunar524 wrote: »
    I didn't say the iPad mini does not have a larger screen area, it most certainly does... what I was saying is that most films are now released in widescreen, therefore the aspect ration on the Nexus is more suitable for wide screen films. Size of the screen is totally different issue, the iPad mini is quite a bit larger, I was refering to the aspect ratio only. The iPad would of course be great if all films came in 4/3..lol

On the Nexus you would fill the screen more when watching a widescreen film, the iPad would have black bars top/bottom unless you stretched it, in which case you would lose some of the picture from the left/right edge, assuming you kept the aspect correct. Same goes for the Nexus if watching a older 4/3 film the user would have bars down either side unless he stretched it. I doubt many people would want to go back to a 4/3 telly,:D AIS for eveything else it can have benefits.:)
    In all other respects I prefer the size of the iPad mini.

The point I was making is a 16.9 film on the iPad is bigger than on the nexus. I'm not talking about in 4.3 I'm talking 16.9. Yes you get bars top and bottom but the actual picture will be bigger.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im still looking for an Ipad Mini for my sisters Christmas but my local Courrys is out of stock. Yet they have one on display. She said I could give her the monney for the 16gb one and would put the rest towards the 32gb one. As its the 32gb version she wants. She said she would even be happy with a 16gb Ipad Mini if it came with 3g and she even sais she would pay the extra.
    I dont think she will be getting an ipad Mini of any kind this side of Christmas. As the seem out of stock.

Darren
  • highnalhighnal Posts: 2,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I popped into an HMV this afternoon and asked the sales guy about stock and he said they're not expecting any units until January. They've even removed the product from their display :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Im still looking for an Ipad Mini for my sisters Christmas but my local Courrys is out of stock. Yet they have one on display. She said I could give her the monney for the 16gb one and would put the rest towards the 32gb one. As its the 32gb version she wants. She said she would even be happy with a 16gb Ipad Mini if it came with 3g and she even sais she would pay the extra.
    I dont think she will be getting an ipad Mini of any kind this side of Christmas. As the seem out of stock.

Darren

If you order online direct from Apple, they're currently saying they'll be delivered before Christmas. That's your best bet.
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you order online direct from Apple, they're currently saying they'll be delivered before Christmas. That's your best bet.

Just to check when do apple take the money from your credit card? Is it when the ordered is placed? Or do they wait until its been dispatched ?
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Try HMV who may have display one(s)!
    HMV have them in Stockport .iknow it's not very local for some .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to check when do apple take the money from your credit card? Is it when the ordered is placed? Or do they wait until its been dispatched ?

I think the payment is processed on dispatch as mine is due to be dispatched tomorrow and I got the payment invoice today. They don't take money when you place the order, because you're still able to cancel the order up until dispatch.
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just ordered through PC world they have 16gb in stock as do currys and I got 10 percent cash back through quidco too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PCW and Currys have stock of the larger capacity ones but again they will take your money but there is no Guarantee the ipad mini will arrive before Xmas. Apple stores in Southampton and Brighton all had new stock today of 16/32/64GB but sell out within a couple of hours apart from the 64GB.

Anyone know if Apple deliveries are daily or otherwise?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wills**01 wrote: »
    PCW and Currys have stock of the larger capacity ones but again they will take your money but there is no Guarantee the ipad mini will arrive before Xmas. Apple stores in Southampton and Brighton all had new stock today of 16/32/64GB but sell out within a couple of hours apart from the 64GB.

Anyone know if Apple deliveries are daily or otherwise?

Apple are currently saying they will deliver before Xmas if you order online from them.

Apple stores say they get deliveries each day on week days, but they never know how many they'll get.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick John Lewis showing stock
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    And there is is. I knwew I wouldn't have to wait long.

Apple are currently fulfilling back orders and working through the list (as are the resellers.)

And, by the way, it's a cracking little device. I was hankering after a full sized iPad, but the mini is just more convenient to hold when reading a book for a long time.

The new iMacs have not appeared yet the new21inch was November .do you think they are holding them back trying to sell the mini iPad .had aplay with the mini in tesco today lovely screen don't know if they had stock quite happy with my ipad2
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    b.lever wrote: »
    The new iMacs have not appeared yet the new21inch was November .do you think they are holding them back trying to sell the mini iPad .

That would be crazy, they can sell everything they can make at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ordered my mini from John Lewis website last night. Pickup tomorrow ;)