Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    I think if we are thinking of managers like Coyle we might as well stick with Roy...

I think the reasoning behind Owen Coyle is that he advocates a better brand of football then Hodgson. He's a bit of an unknown when it comes to big managerial potions though, and like someone else pointed out he may just be the 'flavour of the month' like Roy was before we appointed him.
  • Options
    kopite77kopite77 Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    Jol was harshly treated in my eyes and may Spurs fan's eyes (imo) so I dont hold that sacking against him. People don't seem to like O'Neil for some reason so fair enough, maybe he is a no go because you need the fans on your side.
    Rikjaard apart from his last year at Barca did a good job and was very popular there. I think he could do a job here.
    Hiddink, unlikely but he would be great.

I think if we are thinking of managers like Coyle we might as well stick with Roy, or go for Big Sam.
    I do hope you are fishing!:eek:
  • Options
    mattlewis86mattlewis86 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I woke up this morning hoping Hodgson would be gone, as people have said his comments regarding the fans has surely put the final nail in his coffin, its a fight he just won't win! Interesting to note that the press conference for the Bolton game has been postponed....there must be something taking place.....time will tell I suppose.

if Hodgson does leave one way or another, which I really hope he does! I personally would like to see Martin O'Neill take the job, I think he would be the ideal candidate. Seems to do a good job wherever he goes....he did a great job at Villa, I think he has excellent man management skills, I think he would get the side motivated before every game...every job ive seen him in hes been jumping up and down on the touchline, constantly shouting instructions and getting as involved as possible!

Be interesting to hear others peoples thoughts? Would O'Neill be a decent man for Liverpool?
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    OMG...:eek::eek:...No..are you a manc to wish for that...:D:D

I was being sarcastic :o:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark Drums wrote: »
    I think the reasoning behind Owen Coyle is that he advocates a better brand of football then Hodgson. He's a bit of an unknown when it comes to big managerial potions though, and like someone else pointed out he may just be the 'flavour of the month' like Roy was before we appointed him.

Yeah. I know he has done brilliantly with Bolton but Roy did brilliantly with Fulham. I think either give Owen Coyle longer to see how he fares over a longer period or aim for managers who are used to competing nearer the top end of the table to see if they can get us back near that direction :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I woke up this morning hoping Hodgson would be gone, as people have said his comments regarding the fans has surely put the final nail in his coffin, its a fight he just won't win! Interesting to note that the press conference for the Bolton game has been postponed....there must be something taking place.....time will tell I suppose.

if Hodgson does leave one way or another, which I really hope he does! I personally would like to see Martin O'Neill take the job, I think he would be the ideal candidate. Seems to do a good job wherever he goes....he did a great job at Villa, I think he has excellent man management skills, I think he would get the side motivated before every game...every job ive seen him in hes been jumping up and down on the touchline, constantly shouting instructions and getting as involved as possible!

Be interesting to hear others peoples thoughts? Would O'Neill be a decent man for Liverpool?

Apparantly its not a popular idea but I like him.
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quique Sanchez Flores :)

Would maybe prefer Dechamps as he speaks English and knows the PL from his time at Chelsea.
  • Options
    BelligerentBossBelligerentBoss Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an Everton fan, and even i'm cringing at what this balloon is doing to LFC.

FFS, we're used to struggle with our financial constraints, but the city is losing face fast with Hodgson at Liverpools' helm. Get shut of the man and bring in someone aggressive before Liverpool hit the relegation zone!
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Dark Drums wrote: »

I think coyle is more than that to be honest. I think while he is young he is tactically aware, plays nice football and has tremendous motivational qualities. He would need to be considered carefully and if appointed given a proper amount of time to shape the team, he would have to be a long term appointment.

As a united fan I hope you don't go near him, I hope you go for rijkaard! :D
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I post on rawk a bit and was one of the only ones to say give Hodgson time. I now realise that I was wrong. He was the wrong bloke from the off.

I always thought it was the liverpool way to give people time, but I think Roy has lost the fans completely.

Dalglish needs the chance to have a go once more.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep hearing the name Dalglish....Im sorry he has had his time..as a player and manager.. he was excellent

We ned someone new and with fresh ideas.
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I keep hearing the name Dalglish....Im sorry he has had his time..as a player and manager.. he was excellent

The thing is, this can't go on. Dalglish has been out of the game for a while, but if he did take the job on a temporary basis until the end of the season then he could at least unite the club and guide us to mid-table security. No one looks like they're playing for Hodgson. They would play for Dalglish.

Short-term stop-gap managers aren't ideal by any means, but if we can't get the right man now, it's something we'll have to consider.

I wouldn't totally be opposed to Phil Thompson taking over for six months.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »
    The thing is, this can't go on. Dalglish has been out of the game for a while, but if he did take the job on a temporary basis until the end of the season then he could at least unite the club and guide us to mid-table security. No one looks like they're playing for Hodgson. They would play for Dalglish.

Short-term stop-gap managers aren't ideal by any means, but if we can't get the right man now, it's something we'll have to consider.

and if he didnt...what then..?...what if he failed..?

Dalglish is a Liverpool legend...should be left that way.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member

I quite like Kennys ideas on what LFC is all about tbh having got his book my Liverpool home for Xmas and read quite a bit of it since and also listened to him talking over many years - much more than I would like any outsider such as O'Neill coming in with 'fresh ideas'.

Tell me what is it about Kennys ideas that you don't like.

I am just a bit disappointed that we are now almost 24 hours from last nights game and nothing has happened - maybe it won't which is a frightening thought.

I must admit I was unhappy with the way some LFC fans welcomed Roy when he came to LFC - it was almost as if they were against him from the word go. I thought he was a good manager at FFC and seemed a good appointment, I admit now I was wrong and maybe the anti fans were right all along altho I still feel that they should have kept their feelings to themselves.

I just think from where we are now it will be impossible for Roy to win the fans back (if he ever had them in the first place) and so the honourable and sensible thing to do is to resign - but he won't it seems,. This is where NESV need to be seen to be strong - and so far they haven't acted - lets just hope behind the scenes stuff is going on cos to keep Roy till the summer and give him money in January would just be wasteful imo. We'd prob need to change manager in the summer anyway and most likely they'd not want people Roy had brought in.

Oh dear - what a mess!!
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The man who has the balls to say "I'd sell gerrard and Torres" should be a front runner for the job and any player who feels they should be "consulted" should be out the door too.

When the players are employing the manager that the tail wagging the dog in my opinion.

totally agree!
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The man who has the balls to say "I'd sell gerrard and Torres" should be a front runner for the job and any player who feels they should be "consulted" should be out the door too.

When the players are employing the manager that the tail wagging the dog in my opinion.

Totally agree. its not as though the managers are out on the pitch refusing to play.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    sergio2006 wrote: »
    The answer here has to be Rafa Benitez.

He lives in Liverpool, loves the place, loves the club, loves the fans.

Give him a 6 month contract (like rafa did with fowler) say get us out of this mess and we will discuss the future.

With Rafa in control with the new owners I think Liverpool would be in a much better place. I think we could still finish top 6 if he took over soon.

And btw I never wanted Rafa to leave in the first place.

Now that's a post. :) I'd like him back to, much for the same reasons as you have listed, but sadly I very much doubt it.

Well, I mean I never wanted him to go and be replaced by Roy.

Pellegrini, Coyle, Snodgrass ....in fact anyone who can realise a team with Torres, Gerrard, Cole, Kuyt, Meireles should be an attack minded team not an ultras defensive one :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I agree. I think the aura that Dalglish has would see the best out of Torres etc (if things come to that).

As for Thommo, if he'd give the players the kick up there ass they deserve then he's defo worth being in the mix temorarily.

Last night's game was awful to sit through. No shape to the team, players all out of position (worse than in Rafa's days), no attacking ability. To lose to the bottom side at home when they have the worst away record in the league, have not kept a clean sheet away etc is gawd damn awful.

To top it off Ward, playing off the front man scores, he was a bloody defender last season and most of this. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They would play for Dalglish.

To me this seems the most likely scenario. A stop gap for the remainder of the season. Someone to placate the fan base while they find a winner to do the job properly.

It's just a question of who they get I think.

I wasn't anti-Hodgson. I was glad Rafa had gone and just hoped for some attacking football. On average we are just as dreadful as we were under Rafa at then end.

Also, Hodgson is alienating the fan base every time he opens his mouth at the moment. In all practicality this can't and won't go on.

His epitaph will be "Hodgson for England".
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lfcred wrote: »
    Now that's a post. :) I'd like him back to, much for the same reasons as you have listed, but sadly I very much doubt it.

Well, I mean I never wanted him to go and be replaced by Roy.

Pellegrini, Coyle, Snodgrass ....in fact anyone who can realise a team with Torres, Gerrard, Cole, Kuyt, Meireles should be an attack minded team not an ultras defensive one :D

Since when does living next to your place of work and loving the people you work with make you any good at your job? Behave....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    Since when does living next to your place of work and loving the people you work with make you any good at your job? Behave....

:confused: Who said it does?

I said I agreed with the reasons for wanting Rafa back, being he loves the club, loves the city, loves the fans.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lfcred wrote: »
    :confused: Who said it does?

I said I agreed with the reasons for wanting Rafa back, being he loves the club, loves the city, loves the fans.

Well the message from your post is let's take RB back due to the points listed: 'I'd like him back to, much for the same reasons as you have listed'. The only justification for bringing RB back would be his improvement as a manager endorsed by an ever increasing list of achievements. As the World Club Cup wasn't good enough to keep him in his most recent job I don't see any rationale for wanting him back to Anfield? Sentimentality will get Liverpool nowhere...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    Well the message from your post is let's take RB back due to the points listed: 'I'd like him back to, much for the same reasons as you have listed'. The only justification for bringing RB back would be his improvement as a manager endorsed by an ever increasing list of achievements. As the World Club Cup wasn't good enough to keep him in his most recent job I don't see any rationale for wanting him back to Anfield? Sentimentality will get Liverpool nowhere...

"I'd like him back too, much for the same reasons" I put. Not because of where he lives :rolleyes:. He does imo love the club, the fans and the city, all plus's in my book. For me that means it will hurt more when we lose etc, to be honest I don't think Roy comes across as that bothered by it all at times.

I respect those views of those who do and do not like Rafa. My point has always been I did not want him gone in the first place if we did not have a better manager lined up.

It's not just sentimentality, Rafa's results for LFC were better than those of Roy, so why is it wrong of me to want him back, I like the man, faults and all.

As for your "improvement as a manager" comment. his record was pretty good last time I checked. If you think Roy is a better or more successful manager than Rafa well ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    Rijkaard seems to be favourite to take over at present.

I'd be worried about Rijkaard, given his lack of success at Galatasaray. Perhaps earlier in the year, when there was more time if it didn't work out, but things are getting serious now, January's knocking on the door and we're slipping back towards the drop zone. If HE doesn't work out either, we really will be in the relegation shite.

I thinking more along the lines of "safe pair of hands," now. Someone with a fairly long, proven track record.

If we can't get Hiddink, who'd be my first choice, I think Martin O'Neill would be a good consideration. I know some people don't rate him, and I know perhaps his style of football isn't to everyone's taste, but all I'll say is, look at Villa now compared to last year. Might be wrong, but I suspect the average Villa fan would cut their right arm off to have him back. He may not play the most attractive football in the world, but I'm very confident he'd get us out of this year's hole, and then back into the top 5.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thinking more along the lines of "safe pair of hands," now. Someone with a fairly long, proven track record.

Agreed here.
    If we can't get Hiddink, who'd be my first choice, I think Martin O'Neill would be a good consideration. I know some people don't rate him, and I know perhaps his style of football isn't to everyone's taste, but all I'll say is, look at Villa now compared to last year. Might be wrong, but I suspect the average Villa fan would cut their right arm off to have him back. He may not play the most attractive football in the world, but I'm very confident he'd get us out of this year's hole, and then back into the top 5.

I don't doubt his credentials, I'm just not sure he's the right person for the job, he wouldn't 'get' the club I don't think, he'd end up being another Hodgson..
This discussion has been closed.