The Geriatric dog owners thread

marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,855
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of my dogs is coming up to 15 years old this May. He's a moody old man and a right scruff bag now lol. And I love him to bits.

Anyone else here with oldies like my Cookie?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite there yet Mollie is only 10 but she is slowing down and her coat is changing, she has always been keen to join in with anything and now picks and choses exactly what she is willing to attempt. I can't imagine she will ever be moody as she is a fairly laid back and happy type really, but as her hips click more I think she may become stiffer and less energetic.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Not quite there yet Mollie is only 10 but she is slowing down and her coat is changing, she has always been keen to join in with anything and now picks and choses exactly what she is willing to attempt. I can't imagine she will ever be moody as she is a fairly laid back and happy type really, but as her hips click more I think she may become stiffer and less energetic.

awww it's sad seeing them change isn't it. Cookie is long haired and used to have a beautiful coat. Now it looks scruffy all the time. He has clody eyes and is mostly deaf.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a young dog now but had to have my old dog (19 years old) PTS a couple of years back.

He went gradually deaf at about 11 or 12 (completely in the end), and blind toward the end of his life. He suffered with painful arthritis in his spine and hips for a few years before he died but we got help with that from the vet.

He was a lovely dog. Great with everyone and other dogs always. We owed it to him to take care of him when he got old and made sure he was as comfortable as possible. Made him a nice cushioned bed to rest his old bones on and switched his diet to one that wouldn't give him gut ache or put on weight. He slept a hell of a lot more when he was very old - maybe 20 hours a day in the end.

Even when he was completely deaf and almost completely blind he'd still find me in the house. I can see him now hobbling slowly across the room before touching his nose against my leg then sitting and leaning against me. A real character and a great loss when he went.

If I get half as much out of my new dog I'll be happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    My dog may be in his 15th year but most of the time he acts like a young pup. He loves running round the garden and chasing after his ball and still enjoys two walks a day no matter what the weather.
    Can't wait 'til he slows down a bit......he might not be feeling his age but I sure am ! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    I've got a young dog now but had to have my old dog (19 years old) PTS a couple of years back.

He went gradually deaf at about 11 or 12 (completely in the end), and blind toward the end of his life. He suffered with painful arthritis in his spine and hips for a few years before he died but we got help with that from the vet.

He was a lovely dog. Great with everyone and other dogs always. We owed it to him to take care of him when he got old and made sure he was as comfortable as possible. Made him a nice cushioned bed to rest his old bones on and switched his diet to one that wouldn't give him gut ache or put on weight. He slept a hell of a lot more when he was very old - maybe 20 hours a day in the end.

Even when he was completely deaf and almost completely blind he'd still find me in the house. I can see him now hobbling slowly across the room before touching his nose against my leg then sitting and leaning against me. A real character and a great loss when he went.

If I get half as much out of my new dog I'll be happy.

awww I know how you feel. I lost one a few years back aged 10. I have two pups now plus old Cookie.

Cookie is small so I got him one of those cat igloo bed things that are all enclosed. He loves to sleep in that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I have a 12 year old dog - his name is Milo, I got him when I was 17!

He is still so playful and will always tolerate my younger dogs and kids!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog Martha is 11 next month. A good age for a Great Dane cross. She is going a bit deaf now, has fits if I change her food (I learnt not to the hard way) Her face and front legs are grey, and she is the loveliest dog ever!
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My AJ will be 14 next April. He's been almost totally deaf for about the last year, and his is coat is getting increasingly silvery. He sleeps on the sofa most of the time now, but still goes bonkers when it's his walk time.

He's gone off his food over the last week or so, but he's eating a little bit when I sit with him. It's a bit of a concern, but he seems OK in all other respects.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth popping him to the vet they can recommend dietry suppliments so even when he doesn't eat a full meal he still gets what is necessary into him. Also as they age teeth can get painful so worth having him looked at IMO.
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Worth popping him to the vet they can recommend dietry suppliments so even when he doesn't eat a full meal he still gets what is necessary into him. Also as they age teeth can get painful so worth having him looked at IMO.

His teeth are fine. Vet said that when he had his booster a few months ago. He ate half a tin of Winalot a bit earlier, so he's getting something in him at least. Vet did say he was a bit on the porky side although you wouldn't really know it to look at him (he's always been a sturdy chap), so maybe a bit less food for a week or so won't do much harm. Will keep an eye on him and see how it goes.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone's dog been prescribed Activait? My ten and a half year old bull terrier has just been diagnosed as possibly senile, and the vet has given her something (just a supplement) called Activait. She said it may take a month or more to kick in. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miloilo wrote: »
    I have a 12 year old dog - his name is Milo, I got him when I was 17!

He is still so playful and will always tolerate my younger dogs and kids!

I got Cookie when I was 17 too!!!!! Now I'm 32 and he's been there through it all. The boyfriends, the breakups. My sister having her baby. Everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Anyone's dog been prescribed Activait? My ten and a half year old bull terrier has just been diagnosed as possibly senile, and the vet has given her something (just a supplement) called Activait. She said it may take a month or more to kick in. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this?

My neighbours dog is on this, not a lot happened for about 8 weeks then suddenly the night terrors stopped but she then became incontinent (don't think that was connect just a coincidence).
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to read this thread because I wasn't sure whether it was meant to refer to geriatric dogs or geriatric owners (of dogs) :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I had to come and check if it was a thread for owners or dogs too lol.

My boy is 16 and a half and has just celebrated his 17th Christmas. He's a very grouchy, growly old man now and sleeps a lot until you mention the word "park" then he suddenly turns back into a spring chicken for a while. Wouldn't be without him. He's my longest lived dog to date, the other two only made it to 14 each. Hmmm think I'm well on the way to the geriatric owners club.
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Amy is about 15 now (she was a rescue so only an approx age!).
    She seems to have started to go deaf now, and her sense of smell doesn't seem great either. She has had tumours removed and a blood transfusion (!), and was on tablets a while but she got a lot better. Now I am not sure as she has another lump on her side :( She has to go for a 6 month checkup next week anyway so I suppose they will check it out. Not looking forward to it in case its bad news :(

She is a wonderful dog. Hates most other dogs (probably due to her past before we got her) but is so great with kids and the cats and loves people. Bless her, she still acts like a puppy at walk time :)