Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    Miranda wanting to put her breasts in Room 101, so inappropriate. Perhaps she'd like to explain it to women who have lost theirs to breast cancer.

I know this comment was from last week, but please, get a life!

I am really sorry you've had a bad experience in your life, but Miranda's breasts are HER breasts just like my testicles are my testicles. My brother-in-law had his testicles removed due to testicular cancer but he is still able to laugh about things that are relevant to his situation. My mum died of MS but I still laugh at comedy that focuses on life experiences.

Most people in life have NOT experienced bad things like cancer etc. You can't wrap everything up in cotton wool just to avoid offending people. People need to learn howe to deal with being offended these days. It seems everyone is always finding something to be offended about. In life you will offend someone. Fact. In life you will be offended. Fact. deal with it and move on. If we all stopped to think about what may or may not offend people we would never smile, never laugh. What the hell would be the point of living if we couldn't laugh about things we want to laugh at? None.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    I thought he was condensending too, she came up with some good points. I think frank turner is usually really funny but all the gags were obviously pre planned and not too funny purely because they were not spontaneous. I think it's why bedeil and skinner was so funny.

She is quite quick thinking and witty. Some of the "comedians" on Have I Got News For You seem to get quite resentful if someone is quicker than them and getting more laughs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    She is quite quick thinking and witty. Some of the "comedians" on Have I Got News For You seem to get quite resentful if someone is quicker than them and getting more laughs.

I've never seen that happen on HIGNFY. She's always gone down well on that show for me.

I'm torn over watching this episode. Love Victoria Coren, despise that tedious radio DJ.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the hell was Terry Wogan wearing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    What the hell was Terry Wogan wearing?

Looked like a recently deceased hamster...
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    ... Love Victoria Coren, despise that tedious radio DJ.
    Do you mean the broadcasting legend that is Sir Terry Wogan, whose Radio 2 show achieved the biggest audience of any radio show in the UK? I would suggest that you are not fit to lick the boots of someone who isn't fit to lick his boots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    Do you mean the broadcasting legend that is Sir Terry Wogan, whose Radio 2 show achieved the biggest audience of any radio show in the UK? I would suggest that you are not fit to lick the boots of someone who isn't fit to lick his boots.

Big audiences generally relish broad and bland, no wonder he is popular. You should call him a national institution now or something.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Terry's choice of packaging was put in by someone on the original series (maybe Spike Milligan?)

I think the show works best with 1 guest, the 3 guest format seems too rushed - even extra storage feels like it's had loads cut out of it.
    Peter Cook wanted plastic packaging in Room101. Packed sandwiches and I think the plastic thingy that holds socks together.
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    The recordings go on for three hours! It spoils it for me watching the 28-minute versions because I know most of it has been cut.

(And I rarely end up watching the extended versions of these shows, because I don't want to wait for them, and watch the short version. The extended version is then a game of spotting what's different. Although with Room 101, they used to add a whole extra round, making it a bit easier.)
    I don't usually bother with the regular editions anymore.
    I did watch a recent HIGNFY incase the extended edition was pulled.
    I was shocked at how badly edited it was. The extended edition made much more sense.
    Forum Member
    Nicola_T wrote: »
    Looked like a recently deceased hamster...
    Sure you weren't looking at this?
    http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/files/original/1016wogan.jpg
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I know this comment was from last week, but please, get a life!

I am really sorry you've had a bad experience in your life, but Miranda's breasts are HER breasts just like my testicles are my testicles. My brother-in-law had his testicles removed due to testicular cancer but he is still able to laugh about things that are relevant to his situation. My mum died of MS but I still laugh at comedy that focuses on life experiences.

Most people in life have NOT experienced bad things like cancer etc. You can't wrap everything up in cotton wool just to avoid offending people. People need to learn howe to deal with being offended these days. It seems everyone is always finding something to be offended about. In life you will offend someone. Fact. In life you will be offended. Fact. deal with it and move on. If we all stopped to think about what may or may not offend people we would never smile, never laugh. What the hell would be the point of living if we couldn't laugh about things we want to laugh at? None.
    Well, one of these days she may have a double mastectomy. Every cloud....
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone remember in the early days of Room 101, the winner of the show could send a record which they hated into 'Radio Room 101', the repository of the worst records in the world ?
    Their nominated song would play over the closing titles of the show.
    Why did this stop ?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    Was it just me, or was Mr Skinner incredibly condescending towards Victoria Coren (pretty much to the point of rudeness).
    If he was I would have noticed
    BTW, over the last couple of series, I find myself disagreeing with practically every winning item he's picked. Can't we get Paul Merton or somebody a bit less stroppy back for the show? :(

No thanks
    Forum Member
    Because they changed the format
    Forum Member
    Just noticed that Extra Storage is on tonight at 11:25

It was on Monday last week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Just noticed that Extra Storage is on tonight at 11:25

It was on Monday last week

I noticed that as well, thank goodness
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    BTW, over the last couple of series, I find myself disagreeing with practically every winning item he's picked.
    It's a comedy panel show, you're not supposed to care who wins each round!
    Can't we get Paul Merton or somebody a bit less stroppy back for the show? :(
    I wouldn't say Frank Skinner was stroppy. That Victoria Coren, though, seems to have bit of a temper. And she must have been picking up tips on ranting from David Mitchell!
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    It's a comedy panel show, you're not supposed to care who wins each round!I wouldn't say Frank Skinner was stroppy. That Victoria Coren, though, seems to have bit of a temper. And she must have been picking up tips on ranting from David Mitchell!

She tried too hard to be "ranty". She didn't come across as aggressive but she wasn't funny either. She made some interesting points but that's not enough for a comedy show IMO. Ideally, you'd make your points in a humourous manner. She's been the same whenever I've seen her on "Have I Got News For You".

Despite the above, I have to say I've enjoyed both episodes of this series, a lot. I've watched episodes of the "old" show with Paul Merton on YouTube and I enjoyed them, so like others, I was worried that the new format would lower the quality. In my opinion, it hasn't.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can anyone accuse someone of being condescending towards the person who looks down her snooty 'arent I so intelligent' nose at everyone. She as bad as the spelling police are on here. Can't stand the woman. She's so up her own arse it's untrue. She's the most condescending person I know on tv. Just comes across as a complete stuck up snob.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »

That bloke is so boring he could send an insomniac to sleep. I had to turn him off to avoid.falling asleep at the wheel. I hear that since he's been dropped from doing the breakfast show, morning car accidents have fallen by 35%
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone notice Terry's little finger on his left hand ? It was a bit twitchy. Wonder why that was ?
    Room 101 Extra Storage is on NOW , BTW !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice Terry's little finger on his left hand ? It was a bit twitchy. Wonder why that was ?
    Room 101 Extra Storage is on NOW , BTW !

That'll be the crystal meths ...
    Forum Member
    She tried too hard to be "ranty". She didn't come across as aggressive but she wasn't funny either. She made some interesting points but that's not enough for a comedy show IMO. Ideally, you'd make your points in a humourous manner. She's been the same whenever I've seen her on "Have I Got News For You".

Despite the above, I have to say I've enjoyed both episodes of this series, a lot. I've watched episodes of the "old" show with Paul Merton on YouTube and I enjoyed them, so like others, I was worried that the new format would lower the quality. In my opinion, it hasn't.
    No more ranty than her usual self on panel shows.
    It's her act/style. Wogan did his schick. Tuffers acted the fool as usual.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to love Victoria Coren. If it wasn't for a certain Mr Mitchell, she'd be mine...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    People need to learn howe to deal with being offended these days. It seems everyone is always finding something to be offended about. In life you will offend someone. Fact. In life you will be offended.

Very very few things offend me: murder, rape, theft, genocide, fraud, lying etc.

The only real thing unlike those things above that offends me is: 'people being offended on the behalf of others.'

As if the people who that person thinks might be offended have no voice of their own...I wonder if they are offended by people being offended on their behalf...;)

And you are right: people can laugh through their illnesses...also, some women have major physical and psychological problems when it comes to having large breasts to the point that they have breast reduction surgery. It can come as some comfort to know that their are others in their situation.