Options

Are you a cheat?

Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't mean cheating on a partner...

With Luis Suarez and his blatant display of cheating in yesterday's Uruguay v Italy match, I wondered if cheating was rife in "normal" life?

Do you admit to being a cheat? Did you cheat in school tests/exams? Have you ever cheated somehow in your job, or in life in general? What about in sport? Has your cheating had an impact on other people?

Can you play a board game without cheating?!

Do you think cheating is sometimes excusable?

The only example I can think of when I blatantly cheated was in school tests at GCSE level. We had a German test every Monday and had a bunch of vocab to learn over the weekend. Even when I did learn it, I never remembered it for long after the test, so I saw it as a waste of time. During the test, I would just sit with a piece of paper on my knee containing all the stuff I needed to know. I was never caught and ended up with an A at GCSE.

These were just school tests by the way, not the actual GCSE exam - I would never have cheated during a proper exam. And I have never cheated in any way during my working life. I view it as a pretty low act, especially in work and in sporting events.

So how's about you? :)

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i cannot cheat, there`s no satisfaction in it.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was at college I cheated in a couple of tests. I used to wear a massive wooly scarf and would hide small notes underneath it resting on the table :blush: I'm glad I left the course as I would hate to have continued knowing that I only passed because I cheated and not because I was actually good at it
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sisters & I used to play a card game called Cheat, where you are supposed to cheat.....I used to not cheat, and would often win - which my sisters said was cheating. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I would feel bad about myself. It would be like a guilty secret.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mean cheating on a partner...

With Luis Suarez and his blatant display of cheating in yesterday's Uruguay v Italy match, I wondered if cheating was rife in "normal" life?

Do you admit to being a cheat? Did you cheat in school tests/exams? Have you ever cheated somehow in your job, or in life in general? What about in sport? Has your cheating had an impact on other people?

Can you play a board game without cheating?!

Do you think cheating is sometimes excusable?

The only example I can think of when I blatantly cheated was in school tests at GCSE level. We had a German test every Monday and had a bunch of vocab to learn over the weekend. Even when I did learn it, I never remembered it for long after the test, so I saw it as a waste of time. During the test, I would just sit with a piece of paper on my knee containing all the stuff I needed to know. I was never caught and ended up with an A at GCSE.

These were just school tests by the way, not the actual GCSE exam - I would never have cheated during a proper exam. And I have never cheated in any way during my working life. I view it as a pretty low act, especially in work and in sporting events.

So how's about you? :)

Haha I did exactly the same during my French vocab tests at school :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't let others win. :D

Seriously though I hear of cheating in real life all the time, like for jobs how x from down the road got the job at y because her father/mother/whatever knew z who works there, that's a sort of real life cheat. Or how a complained at work because they did so many shifts that b company wasn't paying them properly for. That case, b company cheated out of a contract.

For my own cheating, I guess copying and pasting code I've wrote before and using it is a sort of a cheat. I also guess that looking at wikis of games I'm playing is a sort of cheat as well. Bah. ^_^
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was Jesse Ventura that once said "win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat" :)

while I'm a hugely competitive person, if i could win something with the aid of cheating then I doubt I'd have much of a problem with that.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's necessarily cheating that is rife, but the mindset of "what can I get away with?". We see it everywhere - shops with 3-for-2 offers that actually cost more than buying 3 items separately. Banks flogging loans and mortgages to anyone who walks in the door. Politicians who fiddle expenses, or bend the rules just enough to get their own way.

Personally, I'm not a cheater. I've never cheated in an exam, there's no real way for me to cheat at work.

I've only ever really cheated at monopoly - and even then when I snuck out a few extra £100 notes I'd always make a mental note and pay them back later in the game, they were usually just a "loan" to tide me over until my dad landed on my hotel on Mayfair :blush: :cool:
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if its cheating per se but at uni i was sitting a maths paper and the day before we had a last minute revision session with the maths lecturer and he had the paper infront of him and he was going through the questions and at the time we thought he's giving us similar questions to those on the exam paper but we couldn't believe our luck when we opened the paper the next day and he'd gone through it with us question for question :D

I suppose its cheating as we had an unfair advantage in a way but hey ho and good grades a go go
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ I've had much the same thing in the past!
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me when people cheat on quiz nights sitting there pretending to be on Facebook but you know full well they're cheating and Googleing the answers. It's surprising how many ****/loo breaks some people need especially when they happen to be stuck on a question.

We go to a free quiz now where people play just for fun so nobody bothers to cheat because there's no point cos you don't win anything. Cheats not only spoil it for others but they spoil it for themselves too because there's no self gratification to be had when you know you've won by cheating.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I never cheat. Except in Monopoly.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    It annoys me when people cheat on quiz nights sitting there pretending to be on Facebook but you know full well they're cheating and Googleing the answers. It's surprising how many ****/loo breaks some people need especially when they happen to be stuck on a question.

We go to a free quiz now where people play just for fun so nobody bothers to cheat because there's no point cos you don't win anything. Cheats not only spoil it for others but they spoil it for themselves too because there's no self gratification to be had when you know you've won by cheating.

As an aside, the traditional pub quiz has been destroyed by the mobile phone.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could always disqualify anyine who uses a mobile phone for any purpose during the quiz.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't cheat in games that don't matter. But bizness is bizness, baby :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    When I was at college I cheated in a couple of tests. I used to wear a massive wooly scarf and would hide small notes underneath it resting on the table :blush: I'm glad I left the course as I would hate to have continued knowing that I only passed because I cheated and not because I was actually good at it

I'm loving the image of this :D

A victory by cheating can never be as a good as a victory earned. I don't cheat at games / exams etc.. its a pointless waste of time particularly as I only take professional qualifications these days so its not like I would get away with not actually knowing the stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I disagree my local still has a very well attended pub quiz and there is certainly no cheating in evidence I recently compared a quiz night and again there was absolutely no cheating in evidence.

The vast majority of people are good and honorable people.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    i cannot cheat, there`s no satisfaction in it.

Exactly. If you win a game, you know you only won by cheating, if you pass an exam you know you only passed by cheating, where's the glory in that?

I don't cheat because, as the cliché goes, you only cheat yourself.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

It really hasn't. They always mention no phones and the start and i have never seen anyone ever cheat. What would be the point, its just a pub quiz?!
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, even if it means I come across as a loser. People who cheat are losers, too, because they can't win on merit alone. I can understand it in kids who are under pressure with exams and so on but part of becoming an adult is learning that you can't always win and it's not always about you.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't cheat - it's dishonorable and makes every game or test worthless and not worth bothering with.

It's not winning.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    When we put in for our pilots licence one of our intake discovered the questions and answers book in the stationery cupboard and have to admit some of us may have cheated on a couple of difficult questions on the written tests on meteorology, but on the actual flying test itself it was impossible to cheat, not that any of us would have wanted to anyway.

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    I cheated in my history mock GCSE, I was on attendance report and me and a friend managed to pass it to each other throughout. Can't think of anything since though.