Options

Doctor Who - S8E11 - Dark Water - 1st Nov '14 - BBC One (HD) @ 8.15pm

Comments

• Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    I would say she's being accurate , they 'grab' the mind just before the person dies , and turn it into a 'cyber-mind' .

it seems to me tho that they then have to scare them into agreeing to "delete" themselves , which I guess is really an agreement to become a cyberman .

Delete their emotions. Edited, downloaded.
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    Whilst it is no doubt a continuity error I did notice that when the Doctor is running infront of St. Pauls shouting for people to run away. Missy is sitting on some steps. She got there rather sharpish considering a few seconds before she was outside the entrance.:confused:

Next week she gets run over by a black Trans-Am with a sweeping red light built into the bonnet. Guest appearance by David Hasslehoff. Serves her right for sitting down there.

And if anyone gets why I posted that, you deserve a tremendous pat on the back.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Wow, Moffat went there. Missy is the Master. Not sure how I feel about it but I'm keeping an open mind though.

Danny should probably remain dead. The scenes with him and Clara were lacking something.

Cybermen were used effectively in this one as well. Should bode well for the second half.

So all that fanfic between the Doctor and the Master became canon then, right?

Liked Chang, didn't really care for Web though. Shame the former died.

Danny's bad day was a lot darker than expected really. 9/10
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Average
    Can the doctor not spot a fellow time lord/lady from a foot away anymore?
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    mediarat wrote: »

Apparently not. Lots of possible reasons. Something got lost when the Doctor got given his new cycle of regenerations at Trenzaore. Something has changed in the Master/Mistress in his/:er new cycle of regenerations post Gallifrey going back to He'll in End of Time (if that is where this incarnation is from). It is a double bluff and Missy isn't actually the Master but only claiming to be as a front for someone else. Seb perhaps?
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Good
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Delete their emotions. Edited, downloaded.

It's an interesting idea - gets around the vulnerability of the emotional suppressor chips and those individuals that somehow are able to resist the process. Break down their resistance so they voluntarily submit to becoming Cybermen.
  • Options
    DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Good
    I've been a bit concerned about this series due to the lack of "running thread" a la "Big Bad Wolf", "Knock Three Times" or "The Silence". Consequently we have been provided with little more than a series of stand alone adventures which I felt may have heralded the decline of the franchise notwithstanding Capaldi's interesting incarnation.

It seems this week's episode may have signaled the beginning of this Doctor's theme. At least I really hope so. If the last show of the series just ties up all the loose ends and prepares us for Clara's exit then I will be most disappointed.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    davebt wrote: »
    It is interesting this fan division. I suppose with any change, there will always be those that prefer what was. It isn't perfect and never can be and there will always be stories that miss, elements people don't like and so on. Whilst I tend to like the show 'whatever', my preference is away from the flirty doctor who wants to see Ian Dury in concert. The Doctor who to be frank, could be a mate you meet down at the pub who just happens to have a sonic device and a time/space travel machine. I prefer slightly alien, slightly distant and slightly unpredictable.

Also, regarding the series arc, it is possible Moffat learnt his own lesson. Given that the crack, silence and so on spanned several series and had to be designed in advance, he has seen the reaction and assessed accordingly. Moffat learns like we all do and this series with its far more straightforward arc may be a deliberate response to that.

Finally looking at how so many of the series have had far more 'flat' moments that this one, I personally feel that the criticism stems from opinions of the doctor and the companion rather than the scripts and direction. As I like both, it is not something I identify with at all. To me, we are watching Moffat at his best, the use of top story tellers delivering quality material to a brilliant doctor who also has one of his best companions by his side. Like I said, IMHO it's a classic time for a classic show.
    Of course you're right, change is always a polarising thing. I too prefer my Doctor to have a degree of alienness to him - Matt Smith's Doctor was at his best in those little moments where you could see the aged Time Lord behind the youthful eyes - but obviously that's a personal preference.

I think Moffat has definitely learned some lessons about keeping things simple, but also because he wouldn't have had a clear vision for season 8 when he started. When he took over, I'm sure he had a load of ideas mapped out which took us through not only season 5 but definitely into 6 as and possibly even 7, at least as far as Amy and Rory's departure. (Equally, I'm sure he made bits of it up on the fly, but I do believe the spine of season 6 was in his head even before 5 started filming).

I have no qualms about admitting that I took to Peter Capaldi immediately, and that I also loved Matt Smith and the first half of David Tennant's tenure. Eccleston took longer to grow on me, but I came to like him a lot too. Change is written into the DNA of the show, and with Ten and Eleven being relatively close in character I was profoundly relieved that Twelve has proven to be so different.

Similarly, this season has brought out the best in Clara, who I didn't much like in her Impossible Girl arc. It's showcased just how good an actress Jenna Coleman is, and I've loved the way Clara and the Doctor have sparked off each other.

Ah well. Five days to go, and then we have to wait until Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Meh!
    Not going to vote as a lot of questions still (hopefully) to be answered. At the moment it is still a bit all over the place but that should be expected with part 2 still to come.

1. The Doctor has regressed to being a surly git again after signs of improvement in the last few weeks. It's hard to imagine that PC is the same man as Patrick Troughton in 'Tomb of the Cybermen' who touchingly comforted Victoria after her father had died. Now we have a man who basically goes "Whatever!" at people who have just lost a loved one like some hormonal teenager (apologies to any hormonal teenagers out there). He's also still being a bit dumb again when the story needs him to.

2. Female Master. not actually fussed to be honest but then I've never liked the Master. He's just wheeled out to fill in a baddy role when they need someone to be evil for the sake of it. We might get an answer next week but it just feels like we have the same old Master as before going, "Oooh! Tremble before me puny humans! I'll crush you beneath my heels with my super strong army who won't turn against me like all the others have! Ooh, I'm so quirky and evil! Bwaaa hhahahahah! I'm evil by the way" <twirl moustache> (or umbrella possibly now).

3. Some of it seems bleeding obvious at the moment; Danny becoming a Cyberman with emotions anyone? Get ready for the 'Love will save the day' TM ending again! Prepared to be and desperately wanting to be proved wrong on this one.

4. Cybermen are still crap so far. They are just bog-standard robots and nothing to do with Kit Peddlers original idea. Just dumb, stomping, robots direct from Cliches-R-Us. Please do something interesting with them. And the whole human skeletons inside them? For what reason? Just try and not think about the Clockwork man, the soldier lady and the Copper who either don;t have skeletons/souls (possibly) or were completely obliterated.

Still think I will need to watch next week with brain in Moffatt mode of "It looks cool! Don't think about the logic!"
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Good
    Dalwhat wrote: »
    I've been a bit concerned about this series due to the lack of "running thread" a la "Big Bad Wolf", "Knock Three Times" or "The Silence". Consequently we have been provided with little more than a series of stand alone adventures which I felt may have heralded the decline of the franchise notwithstanding Capaldi's interesting incarnation.
    We haven't had a single 'motif', the way those series did - repeated phrases without any solid meaning behind them until the final reveal - but we have had stories more strongly interlinked than before - from Clara's relationships with Danny and the Doctor, and their jobs at the school, to repeated sections of dialogue between Kill the Moon and Forest of the Night, to callbacks to solar flares and mysterious women in shops.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good

1. The Doctor has regressed to being a surly git again after signs of improvement in the last few weeks. It's hard to imagine that PC is the same man as Patrick Troughton in 'Tomb of the Cybermen' who touchingly comforted Victoria after her father had died. Now we have a man who basically goes "Whatever!" at people who have just lost a loved one like some hormonal teenager (apologies to any hormonal teenagers out there). He's also still being a bit dumb again when the story needs him to.

The Doctor's personality changes when he regenerates. It always did.

You mention Troughton's sympathetic Doctor, but he was very different from his predecessor, who wanted to smash in the head of an injured caveman with a rock in the programme's very first story.

So why shouldn't Capaldi's Doctor also be different from his predecessors? I'm sure you've changed since your regeneration. I bet Sam Bell version 548 is very different from Sam Bell version 547. ;-)
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Average
    callbacks to solar flares and mysterious women in shops.

my assumption was that Missy had given Clara the number, yet Clara did not recognise missy which means they've missed something or the full mystery is yet to be revealed?
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    In the Master's Tardis wiki entry there is something about him trying (but failing) to take over the body of Iris Wildthyme in one of the spin-offs. From what little I know about Iris Wildthyme (who only ever featured in spin-off media) she was a renegade Time Lady who had a bit of thing about the Doctor.

Perhaps the Master did subsequently take over the body of a regenerated Iris Wildthyme. If this was so then it would explain Missy referring to the Doctor as her boyfriend.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    An enjoyable episode indeed. Unfortunately I don't like the female Master thingy! It just seems so wrong! I would have been satisfied with Missy being the Rani.
    Roger Delgado would be turning in his grave now - seeing himself as a villainous Mary Poppins!! :p
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Whilst it is no doubt a continuity error I did notice that when the Doctor is running infront of St. Pauls shouting for people to run away. Missy is sitting on some steps. She got there rather sharpish considering a few seconds before she was outside the entrance.:confused:

Oh dammit that's going to bother me now. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    my assumption was that Missy had given Clara the number, yet Clara did not recognise missy which means they've missed something or the full mystery is yet to be revealed?

Or more likely Clara doesn't remember her face, I don't remember all the faces I saw from my past (and I've got good long-term memory). It happens. :)
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    I can't remember if this is my 4th or 5th watch ......
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the snogging confused him .

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    Red-Eye wrote: »
    Oh dammit that's going to bother me now. :D

It's not a continuity error since the Doctor reacted with surprise to see her there.

Thus the fact she was ahead of him is part of the plot.

She most likely used her TARDIS which is standing next to the steps she's sitting on in the form of a Red Phone Box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    How old is the Master by now? She's about the same age as the Doctor isn't she? I know the Rani was. Are their timelines still in sync?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Red-Eye wrote: »
    Or more likely Clara doesn't remember her face, I don't remember all the faces I saw from my past (and I've got good long-term memory). It happens. :)
    Especially someone who served you in a shop once I wouldn't even remember them the next day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Especially someone who served you in a shop once I wouldn't even remember them the next day

Very true. :)
    emby2 wrote: »
    How old is the Master by now? She's about the same age as the Doctor isn't she? I know the Rani was. Are their timelines still in sync?

All I know about The Master is that he is The Doctor's childhood friend but he's had more regenerations than The Doctor.

(For future references I'm just going to call The Master "he" and Missy "she", he/she just doesn't sound right to me.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    One more question I forgot to ask, since when did the TARDIS have caller id - how did he know Clara was phoning at the beginning??

Simple Continuity error - or actually where the Doctor was at the beginning of the episode actually related to what was just about to happen, i.e. he was already expecting the call :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    emby2 wrote: »

Depends if you count the years the Master was dead for.

He died in the TVM at the start of the 8th Doctor's life and wasn't resurrected until some point during the Time War which was either near the end of the 8th Doctor's life or sometime during the War Doctor's life.

So if we don't count those years the Doctor is probably a few centuries older than the Master now (that's of course if they aged in sync before he died).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    One more question I forgot to ask, since when did the TARDIS have caller id - how did he know Clara was phoning at the beginning??

Simple Continuity error - or actually where the Doctor was at the beginning of the episode actually related to what was just about to happen, i.e. he was already expecting the call :)

And - when Clara said she wanted to say lava - the TARDIS made a weird noise and the Doctor kinda looked a bit distracted like he just saw a message or something on the screen, he said "its rubbish" rather vacantly as if he was answering the message and not Clara just for a moment.