Options

Am I the only one who doesnt like swearing in songs??

Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When singers/acts swear on songs it annoys me quite a lot.

For one it will be dubbed out on the radio and two I think it is a cheap way of getting attention by some Artists we come to expect it from Acts like Eminem but singers like Cheryl I find it cringe worthy. I have never liked Pink and as she always swears in songs and I just don't feel there is any need for it.

what are your views??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sometimes having a swear word in a song can be saw as empowering like in Cheryl's "I don't care" I love the swear line, however rappers annoy me with constant swearing almost every line
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't suit Cheryl though one bit and her album is full of swear words. I def think some acts use it as a selling point but you can get your point across in many other ways without swearing. The Radio played a song recently [cant remember who by} but it was full of swear words and the radio edit was just a mess because of it.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really think it matters, it's just a word, a swear word is as much a word as any other.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I don't get offended by swearing in songs and I think it adds to many songs.

But the lyrics to Peaches by The Stranglers (my all-time favourite band) contains a strange line that has always struck me as a bit of a cheap attempt to be shocking and controversial and doesn't really make much sense - "Is she trying to get out of that clitoris?".

The radioplay edited version changed the line to "Is she trying to get out of that bikini?", which actually makes sense, since the song is about someone walking along a beach and looking at bikini-clad women.

The radioplay version also changed the line "Oh sh*t. There goes the charabanc!" to "Oh no! There goes the charabanc!". I think the original line worked much better.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends how it is done.

Personally I like Prince's swearing songs such as 'Sexy MF', 'Bob George', 'Darling Niki' 'Pussy Control' 'Erotic City' 'Head' 'Come' etc.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem if a singer wants to swear in their music as long as it's not littered with profanity to the point that it's obnoxious and embarrassing to listen to. I think the odd swear word can sometimes emphasise what a singer is singing about and help deliver a line, i.e. To Your Health by Keaton Henson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »

But the lyrics to Peaches by The Stranglers (my all-time favourite band) contains a strange line that has always struck me as a bit of a cheap attempt to be shocking and controversial and doesn't really make much sense - "Is she trying to get out of that clitoris?".

The radioplay edited version changed the line to "Is she trying to get out of that bikini?", which actually makes sense, since the song is about someone walking along a beach and looking at bikini-clad women.

The radioplay version also changed the line "Oh sh*t. There goes the charabanc!" to "Oh no! There goes the charabanc!". I think the original line worked much better.

it doesn't offend me just annoys me . Makes me wonder how good the sales will be without swear words. Some groups/acts are suited to swear words and the odd one in the odd song is fine but I feel some over use it and come across desperate .
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it can add to a song and it's overall themes. I love the line in Brooklyn Baby by Lana Del Rey which goes "if you don't get it then forget it, so I don't have to ****ing explain it". Especially with her delivery it adds a lunch and attitude to the song that lifts it.

Yes it's not always necessary but in some cases it adds to the power and conviction of a song.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst of all are the rap songs, which only include swearing so that immature white boys can play them in their cars whilst driving past families with the windows down.
  • Options
    avanneavanne Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    The line 'so ****in special' in Creep by Radiohead - only cuts it with the swearing in. It works in a way that the radio friendly 'so very special' just doesn't.

on the other hand, I far prefer the clean edit of 'This is how we do' by Rita Ora I actually really like the flow of party & party & party & party - & think it suits the overall fell of the song far better.

The other one Is 'That Lovin' by Lloyd & Andre 3000 - that version with the pussy is just sadly unnecessary.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I think it depends on the artist. Pink swears a bit in some of her songs and I don't even raise an eyebrow, same with George Michael and MJ. Cheryl's new single however just makes me cringe with the swearing. I wasn't fussed on Madonnas swearing in American Life either. Sometimes it just sounds a bit forced and unessesary.

Funnily enough on her last tour Pink stopped swearing when performing her songs. She noted that she doesn't like swearing knowing she has so many kids in the audience.
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If swearing were to all of a suddenly disappear completely, I wouldn't miss it. :):):)

God bless you always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I prefer swearing in some songs. It makes the song more enjoyable.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

For one it will be dubbed out on the radio and two I think it is a cheap way of getting attention by some Artists we come to expect it from Acts like Eminem but singers like Cheryl I find it cringe worthy. I have never liked Pink and as she always swears in songs and I just don't feel there is any need for it.

what are your views??

A lot of music I listen to doesn't even have lyrics.

:p

And you listen to Cheryl. Something I would keep to myself personally.

I'm joking. I have a fair few Girls Aloud albums when I fancy a bit of a cheese fest.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

what are your views??

Have an uncensored Eminem song.

Eminem - Without Me [HQ & Lyrics]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5d4iWKBoA

'**** you Debbie'. Classic!
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends how it is done.

Personally I like Prince's swearing songs such as 'Sexy MF', 'Bob George', 'Darling Niki' 'Pussy Control' 'Erotic City' 'Head' 'Come' etc.

And was responsible for the parental advisory stickers on albums....though he doesn't swear in his songs anymore (though I am sure he let one out during his recent tour).
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it doesn't offend me just annoys me . Makes me wonder how good the sales will be without swear words. Some groups/acts are suited to swear words and the odd one in the odd song is fine but I feel some over use it and come across desperate .

Some Rap artists use swear words in their songs because it adds authenticity or it helps express anger or frustration. I can't imagine Public Enemy's 'He Got Game' without the line 'But F**k the game, if it ain't saying nothin'.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »

Supposedly the word is 'clitares', a French word for a type of swimsuit. However, this might just be mischief making by the band's French bassist.

A lot of swearing in songs I think is done for the 'shock' value, but it mainly comes across as merely tiresome. It's like the repeated f-words in the 'Spartacus' TV series, it seems shoehorned in and just jars.

The big taboo is of course the c-word; I can think of a Nick Cave song that uses it, but apart from that I can't think of any instances.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some artists may use swearing in their lyrics as a cheap way to get attention, but if people did not make such an big issue over swearing, then those artists would not get any attention.

Swear words are a part of the English language and it amuses me that so many are offended by them. Surely, it should only be the meaning behind the lyrics which people object to, such as the misogynistic and homophobic content which is rife in hip-hop music.
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some songs are better with swear words in them, for added effect. For example I love 'F***ing Perfect' by Pink. Cheryl swearing in her song is naff though, in my opinion. The album version of 'You're Beautiful' by James Blunt has the line, "She could see by my face, that I was f***ing high" instead of "flying high". I much prefer "flying high", as the swear word seems completely inappropriate in the context of the song.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the fact that people are saying that swearing doesn't suit Cheryl Whatever she's called now.

Yep, a geordie lass with convictions for beeting people up in club toilets would never swear!!!
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who doesnt like swearing in songs??

I would say you are very unlikely to be the only one.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, a well placed and well delivered swear word can really make a song. Two good examples off the top of my head:

The "If I get the chance I'll f*ck up your life" line from Mr Clean by The Jam.

"Well honestly, your honesty, it has emerged unscathed,
    And I hope you’re doing fine, because me, I’m doing ****ing great." from Worse Things Happen At Sea by Frank Turner.

These are great because of the delivery and the passion in the vocals. There are loads of others too.

I guess it would sound silly in mainstream pop music and people like Cheryl who probably have a huge fanbase of 10 years olds.

To paraphrase the legend that is Jarvis Cocker, people say swearing shows a lack of vocabulary, but there are that many brilliant swear words it's a shame not to use them.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not offended but some artists sell themselves short by using swear words when there is no need to in the vain hope that it will give them some street cred. A swear word used properly within lyrics to illustrate a sentiment can though enhance a song and actually sound quite wonderful and most appropriate.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in some songs it really works. I don't like it mostly, but if the song is like a "screw you" song or something in that vein, then it can make you wanna be like "hell yeah!!" when they swear haha.

But some artists use it often and unnecessarily, which is annoying.