Options

The Robin Williams Memorial Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Will Hunting is one of my all time favourite films and his performance in that was truly memorable.

He made me laugh too in the likes of Mrs Doubtfire.

A very sad loss. RIP.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-watched The Fisher King last night, in my mind his best performance. Also watched so many interviews of his on YouTube, boy that man could make me laugh :) He will be missed, RIP Robin.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WatchMojo (the popular Youtube Channel) has been doing a "top ten actors of each decade" the last week or so, IIRC Robin is not in any of the lists (?... i could be wrong)

I guess he had his peak between decades from late 80s to mid 90s.

Anyhow, heres a quality interview with him, Parkinson, and Stephen Fry, who looks like he is getting rather irritated by Robins continuous stealing of the show.

Interesting watch though, about as 2 different "comedians" as you could get (in style)...both great though)

http://youtu.be/39ya2Drpj3s

And here is the part before Fry coming on where Robin was flying....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LaJDOD5cJI
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    I wasn't his biggest fan but it's very sad news indeed. My favourite films of his would have to be The World According To Garp. Masterpiece.

good call revolver i had been going for Awakenings but i loved The World According to Garp, thank you for reminding me
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are 3 films he's made which have yet to be released.

One is Night At The Museum 3 which will be released later this year, probably around Xmas i imagine because it's a family film. The other 2 i don't know.

A script had been written for Mrs Doubtfire 2 and production was set to begin early next year.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add Robin Williams on Shrink Rap, which is normally quite an in depth interview...

http://youtu.be/R1NYrN1-koA
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Just want to add my tribute to Robin Williams. I can't think of anyone who could match him for being equally talented as a comedian/comedy actor AND as a serious actor. It didn't occur to me til today -and people may or may not agree with this- but I think its a shame he never got to be a James Bond villain. RIP
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What i always liked about Robin is that he was more that just a comedic actor. He had such range. He was just naturally funny and had such charm. Could we say that about any of today's comedy actors? I personally could not.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    good call revolver i had been going for Awakenings but i loved The World According to Garp, thank you for reminding me

Have to be honest, John Lithgow steals the show as the transsexual Roberta. Amazing performance.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    As a child me and my friends watched "Good Morning Vietnam" countless times.

Everyone has good memories of watching his films. You cannot ask more than that, he was a consummated entertainer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Dreams May Come, Patch Adams, Jack, One Hour Photo, Awakenings, The Fisher King. All Great Films. He will be missed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shak2005 wrote: »
    Hook was the first movie of his I watched in 1992 which still remains a childhood favourite. Sad that two cast members from it have now died in the same year. R.I.P. Smee and Peter Pan.

Myself and the OH were discussing this the other day as Hook is one of out fave films.

Would you believe that the oldest of the trio is the only one left - Dustin Hoffman is 77
  • Options
    J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    As a child of the 90's 'Hook', 'Jumanji' & 'Mrs Doubtfire' we're all prominent films of my childhood and so Robin will always have a special place in my heart.

A sad coincidence is that my other two favourite childhood films were 'who framed Roger Rabbit' starring Bob Hoskins & 'Drop Dead Fred' starring Rik Mayall, both of whom we also lost this year.

They don't make them like that anymore!
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got round to seeing good morning vietnam. Excellent. from Robin. I'll miss him because one of the earliest films I remember seeing was Mrs Doubtfire and Flubber.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Another thumbs up for One Hour Photo, simply the best acting job he ever did. He's so unrecognisable and genuinely unnerving, the dark side of comedy actors don't get darker than this. It's been overlooked for far too long and deserves to been seen by even the most casual fan of Williams work.

As he is in' Insomnia' on BBC2 tonight at 11pm.Most people haven't seen it.Robin is at his darkest best (with Al Pacino).
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Robin Williams is one of those people that while alive was taken for granted, he was just there, doing loads of versatile stuff and he was still going so didn’t think much of it. Now that he is gone I think its hit people so hard because he was a bigger part of their culture than they realised, his genius will be recognised a lot more as time goes by. Not just the fact about his comedy stand up etc, it wasn’t to everyone’s taste, but more about his versatility, the man could do anything.

He had one of those incredible intellects where he could draw on any subject matter quickly. I been watching a few of his more serious interviews, which is a rarity lol, but listening to them really does show the depth of this guy, he understood a wide variety of mind states and I guess the demons he had helped him interchanges between these states with a click of a finger. A fascinating individual that will be recognised as a great icon as time goes by. He is definitely one of those figures that I really wish hadn’t died.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    I think Robin Williams is one of those people that while alive was taken for granted, he was just there, doing loads of versatile stuff and he was still going so didn’t think much of it. Now that he is gone I think its hit people so hard because he was a bigger part of their culture than they realised, his genius will be recognised a lot more as time goes by. Not just the fact about his comedy stand up etc, it wasn’t to everyone’s taste, but more about his versatility, the man could do anything.

He had one of those incredible intellects where he could draw on any subject matter quickly. I been watching a few of his more serious interviews, which is a rarity lol, but listening to them really does show the depth of this guy, he understood a wide variety of mind states and I guess the demons he had helped him interchanges between these states with a click of a finger. A fascinating individual that will be recognised as a great icon as time goes by. He is definitely one of those figures that I really wish hadn’t died.

Well said.I was watching him on RV last week.Then you see him in Insomnia and 1 hour photo and you see how he could turn himself to anything.I still can't believe he's left us way too soon.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched One Hour Photo

Very intense, as i'd never seen him in a 'dark' role before
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched Dead Poets Society for the first time yesterday. My recollection was that it was seen as over-sentimental in the UK, whereas it seems to be an iconic film in the USA. Having watched it, I thought Williams was terrific and displayed a wonderful talent as a character actor, just as he did in Good Will Hunting. He didn't need to dominate the film to shine; he could tell a story just as brilliantly by being understated as he could by throwing the kitchen sink into his performance.

Yes, it is a terribly over-sentimental film and without Robin Williams, it would be a rather annoying whinge about the American school system. But Williams was so good at finding something more than just the obvious in the roles he played.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    As he is in' Insomnia' on BBC2 tonight at 11pm.Most people haven't seen it.Robin is at his darkest best (with Al Pacino).
    A good film but a good film because it is an Al Pacino film. Like the Fisher King shows that RW could rarely carry a film on his own.