Why have the schedules changed already?

Comments

• towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was dissapointed to find there was no Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 yesterday, not even with a stand-in host, which they have on a regular basis anyway.. I could understand on Xmas Eve / Day etc but for many people, Monday and Tuesday go on as normal..
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    My Grampa has Dementia and the TV schedules being different doesnt affect him
    There are different reasons for and different degrees of dementia. My MIL had Alzeheimers and the only thing that regulated her day was 'Neighbours' being on at the same time every day.

I also volunteered at a dementia day centre and regular TV schedules gave some, but not all, of the attendees a sense of time and gave them something to "hang" the rest of their lives on.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    I was dissapointed to find there was no Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 yesterday, not even with a stand-in host, which they have on a regular basis anyway.. I could understand on Xmas Eve / Day etc but for many people, Monday and Tuesday go on as normal..

Surely no Jeremy Vine is something to celebrate?
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I for one was gutted to notice there's no Homes under the Hammer tomorrow, my first day off in ages. I believe it's availalble on one of the satellite channels though, fingers crossed:)
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the kids are off now so that's the reason for the family films now in place of regular shows, plus it's Christmas week so the Christmas season has officially begun. I actually like it when all the regular TV schedules are changed over Christmas, it's a break from the monotony for two weeks.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the normal shows seem to be celebrity versions.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I think you're being mean. Some people need order and a regular routine in their lives for various reasons. It can be very unsettling for them if what they are used to doing each day is disrupted.

Not everyone celebrates or is able to celebrate "the festive season".

It's OK if you're young, have family, have friends, are able to get out and about. But of you're old, have no family, not able to get out, have a medical condition such as Alzheimers it can be very upsetting. For some the TV is all they have for company.

Daytime film schedules have been filled with Christmas/western/war films for the past two months and the usual mix has been abandoned. The regular programmes that many people on their own look forward to such as quiz programmes to keep their brains active are taken off air. The assumption seems to be that when the children are off school, they spend all their time watching TV while the adults are out doing "adult" things. Tough luck on anyone who isn't young and hasn't got a family.

I have elderly neighbours living each side of me, one with Parkinsons, one unable to get out of the house. I do what I can to help them, but one day you might be in the position yourself with no-one to take an interest in you. Think of those who are alone now instead of being sarcastic.

Well said.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    janehobbs1 wrote: »
    Lots of the normal programmes were taken off today. It just messes people about, I don't see the need for it.

They obviously want ppl to cancel their tv license.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    They moved Life in Rock with Brian Pern, nearly missed it.

I bought TV Choice Chrimbo listing mag a while ago and it appeared on TV in accordance with that.
    I watched it and missed it, could have been funnier.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Most of the normal shows seem to be celebrity versions.

It seems that what they think the viewing public want. I don't >:(
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    I for one was gutted to notice there's no Homes under the Hammer tomorrow, my first day off in ages. I believe it's availalble on one of the satellite channels though, fingers crossed:)

It's on Really a few times a day.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean. Even usually unflappable and reliable Radio 4 goes a bit daft at this time of year with 'special dramas' which sound as if they're outakes from Harry Potter films. I'm always quite glad when things get back to normal.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Eggheads has been replaced with some stinking repeat of Bake Off Masterclass.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I think you're being mean. Some people need order and a regular routine in their lives for various reasons. It can be very unsettling for them if what they are used to doing each day is disrupted.

Not everyone celebrates or is able to celebrate "the festive season".

It's OK if you're young, have family, have friends, are able to get out and about. But of you're old, have no family, not able to get out, have a medical condition such as Alzheimers it can be very upsetting. For some the TV is all they have for company.

Daytime film schedules have been filled with Christmas/western/war films for the past two months and the usual mix has been abandoned. The regular programmes that many people on their own look forward to such as quiz programmes to keep their brains active are taken off air. The assumption seems to be that when the children are off school, they spend all their time watching TV while the adults are out doing "adult" things. Tough luck on anyone who isn't young and hasn't got a family.

I have elderly neighbours living each side of me, one with Parkinsons, one unable to get out of the house. I do what I can to help them, but one day you might be in the position yourself with no-one to take an interest in you. Think of those who are alone now instead of being sarcastic.

Oh please. What an utterly ridiculous post. You seem to assume that the majority should "put up" in order to appease a minority who might or might not need routine in their life. We're talking about TV, not a lifestyle! And as far as routine goes, since I can remember schedules have ALWAYS changed slightly to accommodate the festive season. By the way, it matters not that a few don't or can't celebrate. The majority do so that is what is being catered for.

HANDY TIP: For those who dislike schedule changes, buy a Christmas TV Guide next year. They're these clever publications that tell you what's on each channel and when. It will help you prepare for any changes if you read it thoroughly.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Oh please. What an utterly ridiculous post. You seem to assume that the majority should "put up" in order to appease a minority who might or might not need routine in their life. We're talking about TV, not a lifestyle! And as far as routine goes, since I can remember schedules have ALWAYS changed slightly to accommodate the festive season. By the way, it matters not that a few don't or can't celebrate. The majority do so that is what is being catered for.

HANDY TIP: For those who dislike schedule changes, buy a Christmas TV Guide next year. They're these clever publications that tell you what's on each channel and when. It will help you prepare for any changes if you read it thoroughly.

Just because it has happened before doesn't mean it is necessarily the right thing to do. There have been sensible arguments for and against on this thread. I wouldn't mind the changes if we were getting some amazing new shows but a lot of the replacements seem to be celebrity versions or repeats.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    It seems that what they think the viewing public want. I don't >:(

What celebs making asses of themselves. Na ive always hated celeb versions of gameshows how they are allowed to be idiots on the show think they are funny when they aint and give the host a load of lip.

The producers wouldnt allow this with us regular people so why them.
  • Russell_BrookmaRussell_Brookma Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    like many people I look forward to completely different schedule.This has been happening for over 60 years.It is what makes Christmas special.long may it continue.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    I work full-time and started my much looked forward to Christmas break today. I love the run-up to Christmas, and after a morning of cleaning the house it was lovely to put my feet up with a mince pie and cup of tea and watch the hilarious and clever Chicken Run instead of whatever dire programme is usually scheduled mid-week, mid-afternoon.

I sympathise with people with conditions that require the need of certain programmes every day as mentioned by an earlier poster (though my mother also had Alzheimers and couldn't have given a hoot about what was on TV once the disease took hold), but TV schedules can't cater to all of these people as it's so individual - it would be impossible.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chicken run is crap
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    I work full-time and started my much looked forward to Christmas break today. I love the run-up to Christmas, and after a morning of cleaning the house it was lovely to put my feet up with a mince pie and cup of tea and watch the hilarious and clever Chicken Run instead of whatever dire programme is usually scheduled mid-week, mid-afternoon.

I sympathise with people with conditions that require the need of certain programmes every day as mentioned by an earlier poster (though my mother also had Alzheimers and couldn't have given a hoot about what was on TV once the disease took hold), but TV schedules can't cater to all of these people as it's so individual - it would be impossible.

Seen Chicken Run 3 or 4 times already, but still recorder it today. Will give it another watch soon, as it looks one of the funnier offerings this Christmas, even knowing the gags.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chicken run is crap

wrong answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Run#Accolades
  • daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    It's great for me. Under the Hammer won't be on for at least two days. I hate this programme, just highlights the money grabbers of this world.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people surprised the schedules change over Christmas, it happens every year! Besides what's wrong with shows that are on 50 weeks of the year being given a break, it's hardly the end of the world.
  • wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    janehobbs1 wrote: »
    I don't see a need for change before Christmas Eve. What is the reason?

Since iuts bveen done like this for last 30 years, then 99% of people will be used to it, obviously 1% like you only botherd.

and to be honest this schedule is lot better that the useall daytime rubbish.
  • wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Well said.

Sorry but anyone needing TV routine unless of personal/disability reasons, really needs to get a hobby or something, its nice to have a change, and like I said in last post - its been done for over 30 years so if they not in a routine by now then they never shall be.