World's Strongest Man 2014

paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
Forum Member
A thread to discuss this traditional Christmas staple.

The Giants Live qualifiers have been shown this week on Channel 5.

First a huge moan at scheduling. The third qualifier (Hungary) was shown before the second (Britain).
This led to the inexcusable introduction of the British competitors in Hungary as the reigning and runner up at Britain's Strongest Man 2014!

Perhaps it was desirable to show the two British based events last. Doncaster was arguably the best event, both in terms of competition; close finish, and production; Caroline Pearce presenting. But the commentary for Hungary should have then been amended.
Moan over, praise where due. The World's Strongest Viking qualifier was a wonderful themed edition. Much more interesting than the usual exhibition centre.

The main event starts showing on Saturday. Hopefully in the correct order!

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So which Brits will be in the final?
  • paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    So which Brits will be in the final?
    Six British representatives: Ben Kelsey, Eddie Hall, Laurence Shahlaei, Mark Felix, Graham Hicks and Terry Hollands according the website.

Full list of heats here.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone actually still watch this? I don't think it's as popular as it was about 20 or 30 years ago.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do enjoy this, though difficult to avoid spoilers, especially as the finals were on ridiculously early in the year, earlier in fact than most of the events they're claiming to be qualifiers (unless they're qualifiers for next year).
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to watch it many years ago when it was on BBC but haven't for years though.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still watchable but no where near as good as it used to be IMHO. Back in the days of Jouko Ahola, Magnus Samuelsson, Svend Karlsen, Janne Virtanen and our own Glenn "Who's The Daddy???" Ross.. who I'm convinced I once saw walking out of an Asda.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Eddie Hall looked impressive last night, looking forward to watching how he does in the final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul_jt wrote: »
    Six British representatives: Ben Kelsey, Eddie Hall, Laurence Shahlaei, Mark Felix, Graham Hicks and Terry Hollands according the website.

Full list of heats here.

Thanks.:)
    So far Terry Hollands and Eddie Hall are through.
    Ben Kelsey isn't, but I guess that was to be expected as it's his first go at this.

I hope Laurence Shahlaei gets through, I really like to see him do well, because when he's on form he's very impressive.
    Mark Felix must be getting on a bit now, but good luck to him. He may struggle.
    Which leaves Graham Hicks, who I presume will be in the final qualifier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thor looks like could be the invincible one to beat this year. What a stroke of luck for him that his name really is Thor.:D True competition for Savickas.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which leaves Graham Hicks, who I presume will be in the final qualifier.

He should stick to cricket
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spose this will be like the other series in the past. Little or no people cheering on the competitors & no attention given to weight, I think the "World's strongest man" is probably about 5'6" tall & superslim/fit, that build of person can't take part in this event.
  • Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spose this will be like the other series in the past. Little or no people cheering on the competitors & no attention given to weight, I think the "World's strongest man" is probably about 5'6" tall & superslim/fit, that build of person can't take part in this event.

I don't like that there is not much of an audience - having it out the front of a hotel leaves it devoid of spectators. It would be better being held in a stadium or somewhere which would give more atmosphere and would spur the contestants on with people cheering for them. Even when someone wins and qualifies for the final seems like an anti-climax - there is no cheering and even the contestant doesn't seem all that thrilled. There is no celebrations and it's just like 'ok, that's me in the final then'.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    2FS wrote: »
    Eddie Hall looked impressive last night, looking forward to watching how he does in the final.
    Was interested to learn he has something in common with TT road racer Guy Martin.
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if they will be doing the keg toss event in the final? One of my favourites.
  • SprungthwapSprungthwap Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I'm just surprised that felix is still going strong still looking like a tank.

Remember him all those years back aha
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thor bjornsson looking unbeatable to me.
    Forum Member
    What we need is good head to head between him and the big Z with no injuries getting in the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Anyone know if they will be doing the keg toss event in the final? One of my favourites.

Yes, keg toss is in the final. Final events are loading, overhead medley, keg toss, truck pull, squat and stones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Amy76 wrote: »
    I don't like that there is not much of an audience - having it out the front of a hotel leaves it devoid of spectators. It would be better being held in a stadium or somewhere which would give more atmosphere and would spur the contestants on with people cheering for them. Even when someone wins and qualifies for the final seems like an anti-climax - there is no cheering and even the contestant doesn't seem all that thrilled. There is no celebrations and it's just like 'ok, that's me in the final then'.

Ultimately, it is a television show and filmed in such a way as to be not so spectator-friendly as to necessarily encourage large crowds. Larger crowds are harder to manage for a production team and consequently it can seem a little devoid of atmosphere. This isn't always the case. West Virginia in 2008 was marketed slightly differently due to the involvement of Phil Pfister and crowds turned out in large numbers, especially for the final. The plane pull at Yeager airport had thousands (not hyperbole) in attendance.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the final.

Shame about Savickas in the keg toss. His first one went miles over the bar and he looked quick too before the missed one messed up his rhythm. The event itself scares me just thinking of one of the kegs bouncing back towards the thrower.

Really glad about the result and happy it was a close contest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great final. One of the best I've seen for years.
    So close. Only half a point in it.

It seems like Eddy Hall might be our best chance for the future. But it's hard to see a British contender coming up anywhere near to the standard of Savickas, Thor, and Brian Shaw.
    It seems like they raised the weights even higher than usual for some events which is going to make it even harder for our British hopes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I'm always surprised at how few people turn out to watch the events. There never seems to be more than a handful of people in the background.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always surprised at how few people turn out to watch the events. There never seems to be more than a handful of people in the background.

It must do well and make money though. Simply because it's been on every year for almost 40 years.
    It's one of the main to-watch programmes for me every Christmas.
  • paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    A close final, the best in recent years, with three men still in contention before the last event (Atlas Stones).

Despite twelve men in the final, the contest was concentrated around the top four. Given each heat has only six men, the final deserves more screentime.

Each Englishman had their star event; Shahlaei (circus medley), Hall (squat) and Hollands (trucks* pull). However, it would have been nice to see more of them. *Not a typo: trucks (plural!) pull.

Production was good with all three presenters in their respective roles. The how many people scales was also a helpful graphic. But - No heart rate monitors. The LA scenery was not as impressive as other locations in previous years, this IMO can compensate for small crowds.

Highlight was the superb keg toss. Overall a worthy winner of the title. Till next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    It must do well and make money though. Simply because it's been on every year for almost 40 years.
    It's one of the main to-watch programmes for me every Christmas.

I've been watching it when I can since the days Geoff Capes was in it. Jon Pall Sigmarsson was a big favourite to watch too. He was quite the showman.