Blu Ray Audio - yay or nay?

2»

Comments

• AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Surely if internet speeds are already well fast enough to cope with streaming HD video then high quality audio by comparison is a breeze? Discs of any format are a medium whose days are passing.

If the files really are 1GB then that's still too big to stream immediately. And what I really mean is that Internet needs to be that fast everywhere - on mobiles, in your car, everywhere. Then we'll definitely not need to bother with discs because we'll just stream everything from the "clouds"
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    But music on the hoof will already be compromised by the listening environment and will not be limited by using a lower quality stream.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    The article says it's 1GB a song on these Blu Rays. I'm surprised myself.

sounds like lazy writing to me. a 2 minute stones song can't take the same size as a 20+ minute pink floyd track.

even if going by say a 5 minute song 1gb sounds so high it's like that is the size for multiple encodings of a track in 5.1, so as well as the true HD version there is the DTS and DD and LPCM versions, plus stereo versions - as dvda often includes multiple audio streams so you can play on a bog standard dvd player in lossy 5.1 if you don't have a dvda/universal player
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be great to have space for CDs or vinyl?
    Or to be able to afford to buy top range equipment for so called 'superior' formats?

But I don't and I can't so I have to 'make do' with 320k MP3 which, lets's be honest, most people cannot discern the differences between it and FLAC.

I hate format snobbery and the misguided, idiotic notion that people who listen to MP3s are not true music fans. You know what? Live will ALWAYS beat recorded no matter what format it is on.

if you are talking about physical space then you could use a lossless encoding such as flac as opposed to mp3. it takes more space on the drive but can give you much higher quality sound, including HD sound. 4tb drives are now very commonplace and 6tb drives are now available

you most certainly don't need top range equipment to play these formats or hear the difference between mp3 and flac in a blind testing. i would very much doubt anyone on this thread who mentions owning high end equipment has anything that a true audiophile would consider high end, and wouldn't be surprised if it was simply what is known as mid range or the upper end of the budget range. high end gear is setups that usually cost more than a decent car or even a cheap home
  • sbeck201sbeck201 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Just listening to Close To The Edge by Yes on Blu-Ray in 5.1.

Blu-Ray music discs are clearly a niche product and you need a decent Hi-Fi set up to get the benefit of it, but it'll be a sad day if all we have are MP3s & downloads at anything less than full res. (with my internet connection downloading is impractical anyway).