How do you feel about getting older?

13»

Comments

• Ted_LeeTed_Lee Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Yes, you obviously do change a bit but fundamentally you remain the same person. I'm not suddenly going to start enjoying the opera or wearing chinos and fleeces. I'm not going to suddenly change hobbies and suddenly hate football or food. I still intend to be going to see bands and enjoying good music when I'm 70.

You are stating the obvious no one said anyone has to change things as they get older. Our tastes in certain things change as we get older. Oh and nice sterotype of old people regarding chinos and opera.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted_Lee wrote: »
    You are stating the obvious no one said anyone has to change things as they get older.

A lot of people do though. With music for example a lot of people will say they're too old to go to gigs or a lot of people get stuck in their ways and won't listen to new things. Certainly a lot of people completely change how they dress.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still intend to be going to see bands and enjoying good music when I'm 70.

I'd humbly suggest it's easy to think like that when you're still of gig-going age, but there's a reason you hardly ever see pensioners in mosh pits.

But hey, if you break the mould then good on you.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I don't mind getting older, I had fun in my 20's and early 30's now it's all about the next stage, the grown up bit(getting married, having children) and that in itself is an exciting unknown. I won't change as a person I will grow as a person instead.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I'd humbly suggest it's easy to think like that when you're still of gig-going age, but there's a reason you hardly ever see pensioners in mosh pits.

But hey, if you break the mould then good on you.

Who's on about mosh pits? I don't go in mosh pits myself and never have. I've seen some older people at gigs and I take my hat off to them.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's on about mosh pits? I don't go in mosh pits myself and never have. I've seen some older people at gigs and I take my hat off to them.

It was just an example - declining physicality gets to everyone at some point.

Besides, to stick with the topic of music, our tastes changing isn't a bad thing. I certainly wouldn't have liked minimalist, ambient electronica as a teen because it wasn't what I 'needed' at that point in my life, but I like it a lot now.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel better now I'm 57 then I was when I was 56, and am looking forward to being 60, and then 66. Bring it on.
  • Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a right wobbler about turning 30, "what have I done with my life, I'm still living at home, biological clock is ticking" kind of thing. Even though this was only a couple of years ago, looking back I can see I'm much happier now, and more comfortable with myself than I ever was in my twenties, and I can only hope that this carries on! I've always said I was an older person trapped in a younger persons body so that's probably why, LOL!
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I'm a few years short of forty and I haven't grown up yet, Guess I never will :cool:

Snap and snap ;-)
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Does not bother me too much to be honest. But so many people (35+) are building up serious trouble by being so unfit. I cycle 22 miles per day to work and have never felt better - all fit and invigorated - but those around me are obviously overweight, huffing and puffing on the stairs and look all soft and puffy. As you age you need to make more effort to stay fit not hang around indoors moaning. Well you could but it wouldn't do you any good.

No doubt you're joints will be shattered in your 50's with all that exercise. Stop being so sanctimonious.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    No doubt you're joints will be shattered in your 50's with all that exercise. Stop being so sanctimonious.

He makes a lot of sense, I started running at 65, and twelve years later I am still running, and my joints are just fine. Exercise is not only good for the body, it is also good for general well being, and all the blood pumping around your brain gives you a better chance of not developing Alzheimers.
  • Biker JeffBiker Jeff Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I carry on smoking to stave off alzheimers ........... its definitely working, I always remember where my smokes are.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind getting older as such, or the concept of being older other than the fact it means I'm closer to death. I'm 35 and I might be slow but I've only really come to accept that I am actually mortal quite recently. It's not a pleasant realisation for me.

There's so many things I haven't done yet and I'm getting towards the halfway stage of my life (with luck). Don't know how I'm going to fit everything in, and I see a midlife crisis looming. I just need to figure out how I'm going to pay for the Ferrari or Lambo that I'm probably going to desire soon and I'll be good. :)