F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Dual forward facing T-Cam is back. As in Austin last year the normal cam is on the left with the thermal-cam on the right:
    http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2655/0urn.jpg
    Forum Member
    180-Cam was on Kimi's Ferrari this morning:
    http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5213/v6bq.jpg

Has Johnny Herbert ever not picked Lewis Hamilton for pole or win when asked for his prediction? Pretty much pointless to even ask him the question.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over on BBC, it was Eric Silberman alongside Jack Nicholas for FP2.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Not the first time he's done co commentary for BBC 5 live.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Very good debut, good rapport with Eric and Felipe Nasr who guested in the commentary box too.

One minor mistake saying 230 kph was well over 200 miles an hour, Did seem very confident and assured much better than Legard as a fill-in.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting rather annoyed by FOMs increasing use of virtual advertising. It's becoming rather over saturated now - I notice in Bahrain they intruded onto the track again. Even worse, when the light starts to fade or it rains, they show up like a sore thumb. Whatever was wrong with painting the runoffs or erecting more signs?
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »
    I'm getting rather annoyed by FOMs increasing use of virtual advertising. It's becoming rather over saturated now - I notice in Bahrain they intruded onto the track again. Even worse, when the light starts to fade or it rains, they show up like a sore thumb. Whatever was wrong with painting the runoffs or erecting more signs?
    Time & Money. Soon i'm sure all trackside ads will be virtual, whatever the series. The Bahrain one was a special one though, marking the 900th race.
    Forum Member
    Agree totally, FOM just obsessed with squeezing every last penny they can get rather than showing any brains and thinking about quality of presentation.
    Forum Member
    Agree totally, FOM just obsessed with squeezing every last penny they can get rather than showing any brains and thinking about quality of presentation.
    Well no I don't agree with that. It's more efficient than erecting physical bilboards, plus there's less of a safety issue re. trackside hordings coming down in harsh weather/winds (such as what happened in Brazil a few years ago), if it's only virtual ads.

I'd like to see all bilboards replaced with virtual ads. It's much more efficient and cutting edge.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Well no I don't agree with that. It's more efficient than erecting physical bilboards, plus there's less of a safety issue re. trackside hordings coming down in harsh weather/winds (such as what happened in Brazil a few years ago), if it's only virtual ads.

I'd like to see all bilboards replaced with virtual ads. It's much more efficient and cutting edge.

In places, the virtual ads look fake, which is one downside for me.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In places, the virtual ads look fake, which is one downside for me.

The trick with any digital augmenting like this is to make the additions look as though they belong. Roughen the edges and dirty them up a bit, and most of the runoff/grass ads will blend in well. Similarly, make the virtual hoardings look like they're actually held up by more than two sticks, and the illusion will hold.

The irony is currently the ads are obvious and somewhat eye-catching, thus serving the purpose of the advertising.
    Forum Member
    Given how the Sky Red Button feeds are just showing the Mosaic & F1 placeholders during the times when there is no live coverage over a weekend, They could & really should do some interactive re-runs:

From right now during an FP2 replay on SSF1:
    http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4500/eig9.jpg
    http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6922/q98e.jpg

I'd always assumed they didn't do more re-runs just because they needed the feeds for other programming, Yet from what I've seen the past 3 races they just run like when there's no live coverage.
  • LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Given how the Sky Red Button feeds are just showing the Mosaic & F1 placeholders during the times when there is no live coverage over a weekend, They could & really should do some interactive re-runs:

From right now during an FP2 replay on SSF1:
    http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4500/eig9.jpg
    http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6922/q98e.jpg

I'd always assumed they didn't do more re-runs just because they needed the feeds for other programming, Yet from what I've seen the past 3 races they just run like when there's no live coverage.

Would be nice if we could have interactive re runs on the ipad race control too
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They should work on making the F1 app work, it showed no timing, audio or team radio during FP1. What have we paid for? To look at a black screen.
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member
    Enjoying Bruno Senna's opinions so far this weekend, he's a great addition to the channel and on the F1 Show Rachel Brooks was much better than Natalie Pinkham. Nat is ok but often too playful for certain moments
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the app could have done with more beta testing prior to release to iron these things out.
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the app could have done with more beta testing prior to release to iron these things out.
    You can't simply "iron out" a random failure in beta testing, before it happens for real. If the communication (presumably between the timing system at the track and the servers transmitting the data to the app's users fail for some reason, it fails. It's unfortunate but these things happen.

IMO the app performed well: i.e. the network went down, so as expected no results were displayed, due to their not being any...
    Forum Member
    Actually, if it's a failure of communication between the timing systems at the track, and the app's servers, it's more likely something out of FOM's hands, or at the very least, it's not something you can get stroppy about, saying they should have "predicted" it etc. NOTHING is ever completely avoidable, you're bound to get stuff that happens when you least expect it, and with no warning...

That's what I mean when i say FOM aren't Gods. They cannot predict random failures any more than you or I can.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a farce how many advert breaks Sky have when they're not in competition with the Beeb.

I'm in no way one of life's Sky haters, but it truly does show complete contempt for the viewer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    Enjoying Bruno Senna's opinions so far this weekend, he's a great addition to the channel and on the F1 Show Rachel Brooks was much better than Natalie Pinkham. Nat is ok but often too playful for certain moments

Agree Bruno has been excellent in all the practice sessions and has been bringing along some good information to his commentary and also watches all the feeds and mentions very professionally what he notices. Very interesting to listen to him.
    He is also doing a great job this morning too with the qualy build up.

Also, agree about Rachel on the F1 show, replacing Nat made that show so much more watchable and I did not have to use FF once for when Nat appeared.
    Im not a fan of women commentating on male orientated sports, but Rachel is one of the few exceptions, along with Lee McKenzie and of course the gorgeous Georgie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're on for qualifying on R5LSX - not very good. I wish JA would do them all.
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn that F1 app. Today it was displaying totally different standings on every timing page and it lags behind all the time. Sometimes it's frozen for 30 seconds, then catches up again but not for long. It's unusable for me on a nexus 7. Teamradio only works when you also turn on the commentary I found out today, but I don't want the commentary because I have that on the TV pictures. It's race 4 of 19 already, when will it work properly (if ever)?

And FOM sucked again, why show Hamilton getting out of his car when several drivers were improving their time and position (Vergne and Massa for example). I want to see track action, not a stationary car with a driver climbing out.

Coverage wise (tv and app) this is the worst season in a long time.
    Forum Member
    Why show the overhead shot of the start finish line when you can't see any cars because of the rain?

Very poor not showing Hamilton's quickest lap in either Q2 or Q3.
    Forum Member
    racefreak wrote: »
    Damn that F1 app. Today it was displaying totally different standings on every timing page and it lags behind all the time. Sometimes it's frozen for 30 seconds, then catches up again but not for long. It's unusable for me on a nexus 7. Teamradio only works when you also turn on the commentary I found out today, but I don't want the commentary because I have that on the TV pictures. It's race 4 of 19 already, when will it work properly (if ever)?

And FOM sucked again, why show Hamilton getting out of his car when several drivers were improving their time and position (Vergne and Massa for example). I want to see track action, not a stationary car with a driver climbing out.

Coverage wise (tv and app) this is the worst season in a long time.
    That bit about the team radio is not the case for me, my commentary was turned off (i'm guessing you mean the BBC audio commentary) but I could still hear the team radio. I'm on a Nexus 5 here. It was lagging as you described during the beginning of the session, but after that it seemed to be working fine for me. Also for me, all timing pages matched what was on the world feed.

Aside from the team radio, commentary & live corner info for this year, the timing component is the same as the previous Soft Pauer apps anyway - After all, aside from a few graphics changes, it does perform almost identically to the previous apps, offers the same timing pages in the same manner etc. and if you look through the app's code as i've done, it's full of references to Soft Pauer. I wonder if FOM bought the company outright? there's been no word on that.

Still, the team radio is... sporadic to say the least. Apparently FODM are releasing a new update for iOS over next weekend, which should come over to android in a few days, apparently it has a totally new Menu system, although they didn't mention anything about other functionality.

I do feel that the app could be a bit more robust in terms of performance, and it would be better if they could totally re-do how team radio works, as it seems sporadic. Ah well. Hopefully things will improve when FOM redoes their online offering in June.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why show the overhead shot of the start finish line when you can't see any cars because of the rain?

Very poor not showing Hamilton's quickest lap in either Q2 or Q3.

That's an ongoing problem with this current qualy format which pretty much guarantees that we miss 80% of the action. It simply doesn't work and it's never satisfying unless the director is on the ball and jumps between cars at precisely the right time. Today it was all over the place and I found it very underwhelming.
This discussion has been closed.