Options

Sky TV prices will increase on 1 September

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    So why do Sky subsidise people getting it cheaper then? If it made them more money by just letting people cancel they'd do it and not increase the prices for everyone else.

because they are more interested in customer numbers maybe?
    who knows.
    Resonance wrote: »
    They aren't giving offers out of the goodness of their heart. It will be a costed and highly researched business decision that makes them more cash.

if that is true then why not give everyone a discounted price.
    afterall, if it makes then more cash.

i stand by my original statement.
    you don't go into tesco and haggle on the price, you either buy it or you don't.
    don't understand why people think sky (or any other luxury item) should be different.
    too many people saying i'll only subscribe whilst i get it on the cheap. the "want everything for nothing" mentality some folk have tells you everything you need to know about why the economy collapsed.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    because they are more interested in customer numbers maybe?
    who knows.

if that is true then why not give everyone a discounted price.
    afterall, if it makes then more cash.

i stand by my original statement.
    you don't go into tesco and haggle on the price, you either buy it or you don't.
    don't understand why people think sky (or any other luxury item) should be different.
    too many people saying i'll only subscribe whilst i get it on the cheap. the "want everything for nothing" mentality some folk have tells you everything you need to know about why the economy collapsed.

Giving everyone a discounted price wouldn't be as profitable, because loads of people are willing to pay the full whack.

If you can get the full price out of say 90% of your customers and something less out of the remainder then that's more profitable than losing those customers.

Of course Sky will know some are only threatening to cancel to get a discount, but they'll have taken that into account and decided it's worth it for more profit.

Maybe you don't generally haggle in Tesco (although I do if something is short dated), but you do if you have any sense in as many places as possible. For example I've bought electrical goods on the high street and got discounts by haggling. When I renew my insurance I find the best price I can and if my current insurers won't match it off I go. When I renew my mobile phone contract I make sure I get the best deal possible. Same with my internet/landline.

Why would I (or anyone) not try and get the best deal possible? If I'm dealing with a big company (or for that matter the bloke down the market) I don't feel bad at getting the best deal possible. You can guarantee the companies are doing exactly the same thing with their suppliers and are likely playing a lot more hard ball than lowly old me.

Do you really think Sky or Tesco or anyone else don't 'threaten to cancel' with their suppliers if they don't give them the price they want?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Got my letter today my increase is £4 for the complete package. £2.50 is for sky sports. I wonder if that would be less if I had not registered for Sky sports 5?
  • Options
    benwarwickbenwarwick Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Confirmed prices from September:

Original Bundle £21.50
    Variety Bundle £28
    Family Bundle £33
    Movies £16.50
    Sports £24.50
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my letter today my increase is £4 for the complete package. £2.50 is for sky sports. I wonder if that would be less if I had not registered for Sky sports 5?

Nope, because it part of the Sky Sports pack, so would have been available come August 12th if you had activated it or not.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benwarwick wrote: »
    Confirmed prices from September:

Original Bundle £21.50
    Variety Bundle £28
    Family Bundle £33
    Movies £16.50
    Sports £24.50
    Are Sport/Movies in HD (£5.25) & Multiscreen (£11.25) unchanged?
  • Options
    benwarwickbenwarwick Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Are Sport/Movies in HD (£5.25) & Multiscreen (£11.25) unchanged?

Sport/movies in HD and multiscreen prices are the same.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benwarwick wrote: »
    Sport/movies in HD and multiscreen prices are the same.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Original £21.50 (was £21.50) = NO CHANGE
    Variety £28.00 (was £27.00) = UP 3.7%
    Family £33.00 (was £32.00) = UP 3.1%

Sports Pack £24.50 (was £22.00) = UP 11.4%
    Movies Pack £16.50 (was £16.00) = UP 3.1%

Complete Bundle (ie Family + Sports + Movies) £71.25 (was £67.25) = UP 5.9%

Sports Bundle (ie Original + Sports) £46.00 (was £43.50) = UP 5.7%
    Movies Bundle (ie Original + Movies) £38.00 (was £37.50) = UP 1.3%

Family + Sports £57.50 (was £54.00) = UP 6.5%

So increases of around 6% for Sky Sports subscribers - exact amount depends upon which basic package they have and whether they take Movies.

But it's pretty close to 6% in all cases.

This looks pretty bullish to me and remember this is in a year with no significant changes in Sky Sports content or rights costs.

In my view it points to significant price rises for Pay TV sports (ie Sky Sports and BT Sport) in the medium term.

Look at it this way - with Sky losing the Champions League in 12 months time it might have been thought that they would go easy to some extent - as it's extremely unlikely prices would actually be cut next year. Well, there is no sign of it.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Look at it this way - with Sky losing the CL in 12 months time it might have been thought that they would go easy to some extent - as it's extremely unlikely prices would actually be cut next year. Well, there is no sign of it.

The trouble is that they also have to factor in the coming rights process for the next EPL contracts. With those costs likely to sky rocket (excuse the pun) the loss of CL in a year is a relatively small saving to Sky likely to be far outweighed by what they could be paying for EPL.

The rises may be an indicator that they intend to bid big to keep as much as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    The trouble is that they also have to factor in the coming rights process for the next EPL contracts. With those costs likely to sky rocket (excuse the pun) the loss of CL in a year is a relatively small saving to Sky likely to be far outweighed by what they could be paying for EPL.

The rises may be an indicator that they intend to bid big to keep as much as possible.

Yes - agree entirely.

It indicates they think demand is strong and that there is scope for this level of increase without any significant impact on churn.

Also agree re next PL rights. And there are two further annual price rises by the time the next PL contract actually starts.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the minimum price for Sky Sports HD has risen above £60 for the first time:

Family Bundle: £33
    Sky Sports: £24.50
    HD Pack: £5.25

TOTAL = £62.75

Thanks Obama.
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    Add to the above price changes, that from 29/7/14, users of Sky Go via games consoles (currently Xbox 360) will require the paid version, Sky Go Extra (currently £5 per month or included with "Multiscreen").
    Can I watch Sky TV with Sky Go on my Xbox 360 games console?

We’ve made some changes to Sky Go and how it’s used on compatible devices - including games consoles. From 29 July 2014, you’ll need to sign up to Sky Go Extra in order to watch TV from Sky on your Xbox 360 games console.
    http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-watch/sky-go/
  • Options
    citytillidiecitytillidie Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Time to cancel sky
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,380
    Forum Member
    Surprisingly big rise, if you're on the top package it's another £48 a year, how many are on the top package? Do they all have an extra £50 a year they can just give to Sky for no extra content, sounds like a raw deal to me, wonder how many will reconsider their subscription?

As a Liverpool supporter I get Champions League this season so something extra to justify the increased spend on, but what about all the Man Utd supports who'll get less games fro more cost?

The following season it all moves to BT so expecting BT Sport to rise considerably, how much do people think Sky Sports will reduce by when they lose their 2nd biggest football package?
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    Surprisingly big rise, if you're on the top package it's another £48 a year, how many are on the top package? Do they all have an extra £50 a year they can just give to Sky for no extra content, sounds like a raw deal to me, wonder how many will reconsider their subscription?

As a Liverpool supporter I get Champions League this season so something extra to justify the increased spend on, but what about all the Man Utd supports who'll get less games fro more cost?

The following season it all moves to BT so expecting BT Sport to rise considerably, how much do people think Sky Sports will reduce by when they lose their 2nd biggest football package?

Nothing because the additional cost of the next round of EPL rights will more than wipe out any savings made from no longer having CL.

More pertinently what will be the cost of BT Sport from autumn 2015?

As for total cost as those on the top package are already paying around £950 per year another £48 is not that much more. Got to set the increase against what you would lose if you didn't have it. Still less than £3 per day if looked at in that light.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    how much do people think Sky Sports will reduce by when they lose their 2nd biggest football package?
    A round figure I suspect!
    :D
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if my letter will be there when I get home from the office. £4 ain't exactly going to break the bank.
  • Options
    UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member

Perhaps a fairly big rise now so they can boast about a 'price freeze' as they lose the CL is my guess.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Original £21.50 (was £21.50) = NO CHANGE
    Variety £28.00 (was £27.00) = UP 3.7%
    Family £33.00 (was £32.00) = UP 3.1%
    I seem to be currently paying £35.75 for "Variety + HD" .... that's the old package which includes Sky F1HD. I don't know quite how I managed to get to that figure!

Don't know what this will go up to yet!>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    So the minimum price for Sky Sports HD has risen above £60 for the first time:

Family Bundle: £33
    Sky Sports: £24.50
    HD Pack: £5.25

TOTAL = £62.75

That combination was previously £59.25.

So an increase of 5.9%.
  • Options
    UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I'm so pleased I've ditched Sky in favour of Freesat. Looking forwarding to connecting my new box.

I also have the option of Sky Sports passes on my Xbox 360 through Now TV. Though it isn't cheap, like anything Sky. But still. Happy days.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, because it part of the Sky Sports pack, so would have been available come August 12th if you had activated it or not.

Which still doesn't answer the question of why they want you to 'activate' a channel which (if you have the sports pack) will be part of your package anyway.

I've been paying £45.75 p/m for Entertainment Extra plus Sky Sports (I used the loophole by dropping four of the old mixes, then getting them back when they re-organised the packages) and my bill is going up £3.50 p/m.
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I seem to be currently paying £35.75 for "Variety + HD" .... that's the old package which includes Sky F1HD. I don't know quite how I managed to get to that figure!

Don't know what this will go up to yet!>:(

Same package as me. I'm only on that package because of included sky sports F1. Hopefully they won't drop F1 for people on the old HD sub anytime soon.
  • Options
    paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    My letter from Sky arrived this morning, increases:

Variety £1
    Family £1
    Sky Sports £2.50
    Sky Movies £0.50

As others have noted, the Sky Sports increase is rather severe all things considered.

Feel the widening between Original (no change) and Variety or Family is further poor value for those who don't watch kids or music channels.