DMOL confirm EPG Reshuffle for 17/10/12 and Appeals results.

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dmol.co.uk/latest_news
Previously announced changes to the HD and Adult LCN positions will go ahead on October 17, 2012. HD channels will start at 101 (currently 50); the Adult section will start at 171 (currently 91).
Notes
The Children’s and News genres will move to start at LCNs 121 and 131 respectively on the Wednesday that follows 16 weeks after LCN 65 is allocated (ie when the General Entertainment genre nears full capacity). In the event that the move date falls during a change freeze then the move would take effect on the Wednesday that follows the end of the change freeze.

For full detail please click my link at the top on the pages.

Comments

• AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having independently reviewed the evidence put forward, the chair of DMOL does not consider that either party has presented a sufficiently compelling case that the moves should not go ahead. The original decisions will therefore stand.

Nice to see $ky lose.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The general entertainment section will only be up to 53 IIRC (regional channels causing this) with the reshuffle so it may be some time before a channel is assigned to 65... It could be 2014 or beyond before this ever happens!

Oh, and I didn't think shopping was general entertainment. I thought it was........ 'shopping'? It should have it's own section, in the 150's
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dmol.co.uk/channels/service_news
    17 October 2012

Previously announced changes to the HD and Adult LCN positions will go ahead on 17 October 2012, including:

The HD genre will move from the LCN range 50-54 to LCNs 101-120

Marketplace will move LCN 50 from LCN 61

The four Manchester multiplex channels will move to LCNs 51–54 (currently LCNs 56-59)

The Adult genre will move to LCNs 171 to 198 (currently starts at LCN 91)

Two additional Manchester services may launch, details will be confirmed closer to the time.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    So '***' & Sky bitch because they will be moved.
    Im glad they were told to shut up and deal with it by DMOL.
    If only Ofcom were more like this with Sky. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    So '***' & Sky bitch because they will be moved.
    Im glad they were told to shut up and deal with it by DMOL.
    If only Ofcom were more like this with Sky. :)

No sky channels are moving.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Oh, and I didn't think shopping was general entertainment. I thought it was........ 'shopping'? It should have it's own section, in the 150's

Perhaps you should have taken part in the DMOL consultation then - it's rather too late now. ;)

Having said that, if the stories and suppositions are correct, then perhaps QVC successfully argued otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »

But Sky News will, in time:
    The News genre and Children’s genre moves will occur when the General Entertainment genre nears full capacity (see notes).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Perhaps you should have taken part in the DMOL consultation then - it's rather too late now. ;)
    I wasn't aware of it even happening. But next time, I will certainly let me views be known!
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they moved from the 40's to 80's before so it's happened before.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware of it even happening. But next time, I will certainly let me views be known!
    It was discussed at length on DS. :confused:
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....Having said that, if the stories and suppositions are correct, then perhaps QVC successfully argued otherwise.
    It does make you wonder if QVC have specific agreed rights to their LCN negotiated in the early days of Freeview. They way DMOL suddenly dropped the idea of a Shopping genre despite the first consultation results, does seem engineered.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »

They will when General Entertainment fills, as detailed in the DMOL press release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    They will when General Entertainment fills, as detailed in the DMOL press release.

What's the current rate of new LCNs appearing in the general section? Based on that when will LCN 65 be used, then add 16 weeks, and that is when the News (inc Sky) and childrens section will be moving. Pathetic. Just deferring the pain. They should get it over and done with on 17 Oct so there is one less in the endless round of retunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    What's the current rate of new LCNs appearing in the general section? Based on that when will LCN 65 be used, then add 16 weeks, and that is when the News (inc Sky) and childrens section will be moving. Pathetic. Just deferring the pain. They should get it over and done with on 17 Oct so there is one less in the endless round of retunes.

No doubt some sort of a sop to Sky .......

But yes, having had two shuffles, why have another one?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has effectively put off the move of children's and news channels indefinitely, so Sky has basically won.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there isn't even enough capacity on Freeview for enough new channels to get up to EPG 65.
  • squinneysquinney Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    So another reshuffle is taking place on the 17th. I am going to be on holiday until the 29th. so will not be able to re-scan either the TV (which as I will not be at home this does not matter), nor will I be able to re-scan my PVR, which does matter if the programmes I set to record are on LCNs being moved (BBC1 HD for instance).
    With the last reshuffle (eg. Yesterday/Dave swap-over) this didn't seem to matter, but will this be the case on the 17th?
    regards,
    Steve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squinney wrote: »
    So another reshuffle is taking place on the 17th. I am going to be on holiday until the 29th. so will not be able to re-scan either the TV (which as I will not be at home this does not matter), nor will I be able to re-scan my PVR, which does matter if the programmes I set to record are on LCNs being moved (BBC1 HD for instance).
    With the last reshuffle (eg. Yesterday/Dave swap-over) this didn't seem to matter, but will this be the case on the 17th?
    regards,
    Steve.

It depends entirely on how your PVR handles this. On the Humax HDR Fox T2 it is catastrophic since the box deletes the entire recording schedule on a retune, regardless of whether the channels have changed LCN or not. I use the custom software for the HDR Fox T2 to prevent this, indeed I still haven't done the previous retune (no need).

PVRs don't usually track channels by LCN, they normally use lower level information. So provided the recording schedule isn't actually deleted by the retune, on many boxes the recording will still work. Some boxes may not even retune automatically, it may need to be done manually.

The best thing to do is post your request on a relevant DS forum for your model of box where you're more likely to find relevant experts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Yeah, there isn't even enough capacity on Freeview for enough new channels to get up to EPG 65.

Going by some past events, I am sure that they could rustle up quite a few more part-time channels squeezed into space released by dropping the existing bitrates even further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by some past events, I am sure that they could rustle up quite a few more part-time channels squeezed into space released by dropping the existing bitrates even further.
    Let's start a campaign for enough part-time channels - say an hour a week - to get there as soon as possible so that Sky News has to move. Then they can all close down again. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any information on what the Two additional Manchester services will be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It was discussed at length on DS. :confused:
    And I don't hang around DS 24/7 to notice these things. Jeez!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I don't hang around DS 24/7 to notice these things. Jeez!

I've been on DS for years and I missed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    I've been on DS for years and I missed it.
    Well to me it seemed like the main topic of conversation here for a considerable time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Well to me it seemed like the main topic of conversation here for a considerable time.

I guess it depends which forums you read. I never saw it. I don't sit there trawling for new forums you know.