Have you ever killed an animal?

wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I doubt I've killed anything bigger than a mouse or a trout. I can't say it felt bad or good - it had a purpose.

What kind of animals have you killed? Why did you do it and how did you feel?

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I had to kill a woodmouse that had been mangled by a bloody cat. It wasn't going to survive and I couldn't stand to see it suffer so I killed it quickly. It was awful and I can still see and feel it now, several years later.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Directly:Birds,rabbits,stoat,fox.
    Indirectly: killed thousands eating meat.
  • scheadschead Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    I doubt I've killed anything bigger than a mouse or a trout. I can't say it felt bad or good - it had a purpose.

I remember that one of my cats took a mouse back and wouldn't kill it, just wanted to play. I was about 16 at the time and said "I will kill it", thinking it would be cool. I took a rubber mallet and hit it over the head. I then saw the poor bugger crawl about with the skin on it's head hanging off, and a broken leg and got freaked out. I ran away with the image of the poor thing in my head ever since. My Dad had to put it out of it's misery, and I learnt that killing anything is not cool.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've run over a wild rabbit and narrowly avoided a deer that jumped over a hedge into the road in front of my car. Felt really bad about it but what can you do when animals run out into the road? :(
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Insects (lots of them) and have also laid poison for mice, and always have a feeling of guilt after.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several fish, mostly largemouth bass. Like you said, I didn't feel bad or good about it; it was just dinner as far as I was concerned.

Though I did feel a slight twinge of guilt when I washed a spider down the drain last night.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    had to brick a rabbit once that hit my car :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    About a thousand 'clay' pigeons!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I trod on a worm - and poured salt on a slug.

I felt terrible after that.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I have killed many animals that a lot of people here wouldn't be too happy about. I live on a farm and what I did was the done thing. And its not just the obvious ones. My girlfriend is disgusted at some of things we used to do.

I don't feel bad for any of the animals that I killed. They were all for a reason.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A pheasant flew into my radiator grill when I was driving on the A74
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've run over a wild rabbit and narrowly avoided a deer that jumped over a hedge into the road in front of my car. Felt really bad about it but what can you do when animals run out into the road? :(

Thankfully I wasn't driving the car, or else I would have probably swerved us into a ditch, but traveling late one night through the middle of nowhere Nevada, we must have clobbered more than a dozen jackrabbits. With my little brothers laughing like Bevis and Butthead in the backseat no less. It was awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ran over a man and his dog once and the dog died :( thankfully the man didn't.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I have killed many animals that a lot of people here wouldn't be too happy about. I live on a farm and what I did was the done thing. And its not just the obvious ones. My girlfriend is disgusted at some of things we used to do.

I don't feel bad for any of the animals that I killed. They were all for a reason.

What are we talking here, drowning kittens and puppies?
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »

Ya, pretty much. But I used to torture cats as a child too, cuz I hate them.

Also as part of the farm, we used to kill a lot for meat. Not humainly either!
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only carnivorous ones. I capital punished them owing to their barbaric behaviour.
  • fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a nasty little kid I killed a lot of insects and a couple of frogs with my mates. I think we were all doing it to prove what little hard asses we were which would be laughable if it werent for the fact that the animals suffered needlessly.

I feel terribly ashamed of it even to this day.

As an adult I had to kill a koi carp which was suffering from some fungal disease by cracking it on the head. It was horrible but it was suffering and had to be done.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Directly, none that I can think of, including invertebrates.
    Indirectly, I feed crickets, mealworms, locusts and other invertebrates to some of my animals, they are bought as pet food. Though, I mostly use cockroaches I breed myself now, I still need to buy some though.
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »

I've killed many turkeys and chickens for food and to sell,what I was feeling was the importance of breaking the neck in one pull so the birds death wasn't drawn out.I've killed fish and rabbits for food,a quick kill is uppermost in my mind at the time.i haven't killed in a while,I've been relying on shops so like many others I've been eating horse.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »

Kittens for sure.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I have killed plenty insects and have also killed a mammal (a mouse) but no animals have perished at my hands
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet you own a chainsaw.
  • scheadschead Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is why country folk are, well c unts. I believe that cuntry folk deserve to be bullied.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have killed plenty insects and have also killed a mammal (a mouse) but no animals have perished at my hands

Sorry to break it to you, but insects and mammals are animals!
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rats that were already dying from poison, much kinder to give them a quick knock on the head :(

Half dead birds and mice that the neighbours cat used to hunt in my garden :mad:

And a squirrel I found with a broken back being pecked at by crows.... little **** bit me on his way out though :rolleyes: