General Anesthetic/ Surgery?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
Forum Member
Have you been under general anesthetic before? How long did it take you before you felt normal again- did you feel woozy for a while? Do you dream during it? How much do you remember from it? Is it just like being asleep?

Does anybody have any general tips for before or after surgery? I'm having some surgery on my knee tomorrow, and all being well I should be home again by tomorrow night!

I'm really freaked out because it's my first time having any surgery or general anesthetic! I feel like such a wuss- I think it's a fear of the unknown type thing :(

Any answers or advice would be appreciated- thank you in advance.

Comments

• mw0390mw0390 Posts: 23,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkster wrote: »
    Have you been under general anesthetic before? How long did it take you before you felt normal again- did you feel woozy for a while? Do you dream during it? How much do you remember from it? Is it just like being asleep?

Does anybody have any general tips for before or after surgery? I'm having some surgery on my knee tomorrow, and all being well I should be home again by tomorrow night!

I'm really freaked out because it's my first time having any surgery or general anesthetic! I feel like such a wuss- I think it's a fear of the unknown type thing :(

ive had about 20 odd major opertaions due to my disability, longest ive been under was 12 hours i think

You will prob get an injection for the anesthetic(i seem to always have to have the mask, as they can never find a vein)

It can take a good while before you start feeling "normal" again, it normal takes me a good night's sleep and then im fine,

Personally ive never dreamed, you just feel yourself falling asleep(which is a very werid feeling) and then ur back awake again(which again is very werid)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had over 40 operations and the longest I'd say it took me to feel normal was overnight but that was more than likely due to the length of time I was under,other times I've felt fine a few hours after coming round

I never dreamt through any of mine and it is just like being asleep...personally I love it lol that could just be that I'm used to it though

Good luck,and try not to worry(as hard as it is)

AJxx
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't dream, one minute you feel your eyes starting to close and literally the next second you're opening them again in the recovery ward. At first you can hear everything going on around you, normally nurses. They ask how you are and to open your eyes and then they take blood pressure etc. Sometimes you can feel really cold as you're waking up, I always do. You feel tired afterwards for a few hours but normally, depending on how the op went you feel okay the next day. There's nothing to worry about, it goes really quickly. Good luck.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had generals quite a lot, the last time was 4 months ago.

I don't ever remember anything from the time I go to sleep to waking up afterwards, no dreaming or anything.

Afterwards I usually just feel a bit drowsy for a bit but after a sleep I feel fine.

My only problem with them is my oxygen levels tend to drop quite a bit and I take a lot of waking from them. But once I have been on oxygen for a few hours I have no other problems.

You have probably already been told not to eat before your surgery but seriously don't! I had a sip of water once and I was so sick (and right in front of a camera crew too!)
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one time ive had it, I was crying cos I was really nervous, so they tricked me, one minute I was talking to the nurse about how many sugars I was going to have in my tea when I came round and the next I was waking up in recovery asking if they had found what they were looking for. I have no memory of the bit in between at all.

Felt a bit funny for about 24 hours afterwards.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    My experience of it was lying on my back, hands folded across my chest, an oxygen mask over my face, and being absolutely terrified; then having a very short vision/dream-type thing, then opening my eyes and thinking: 'Where the hell am I?'

I felt cold afterwards, and was taken back to the ward and told to 'sleep it off'. Due to my hospital phobia however, I purposely stayed awake and was discharged at 7pm that day.

The after effects were pretty horrific though; I was out for the count for the next few days and even a short walk exhausted me.

The most debilitating part is the exhaustion afterwards, IMHO. The anaesthetic itself is nothing. I was given a pre-med beforehand which made me feel slightly tipsy, so I didn't even feel the usual anaesthetic rush/ falling asleep sensation that most people describe. Literally I was 'there' one moment and 'not there' the next.

Ask your anaesthetist for a sedative beforehand. It feels nice :D and makes the administering of the actual GA a lot less scary.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    The one time ive had it, I was crying cos I was really nervous, so they tricked me, one minute I was talking to the nurse about how many sugars I was going to have in my tea when I came round and the next I was waking up in recovery asking if they had found what they were looking for. I have no memory of the bit in between at all.

Felt a bit funny for about 24 hours afterwards.

When my little brother was even littler he came off his bike and smashed up his hand. He was really distressed so the hospital decided to give him a general so they could stick a couple of fingers back in their sockets.

When he went to sleep he was screaming about not wanting them to touch his hand while he was asleep ... and he was still going on about it when he woke up. He had no idea that he had already been asleep and it was all over and done with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    I've only had two. Age 22 and 28. I was anxious too but you're asleep in seconds, then when you wake it's just like waking up on a sunday morning when you haven't set the alarm.

You can just drift a bit.

I had no aftereffects other than a slightly sore throat from the tube.

Honest you'll be fine. It's natural to be nervous. First time I was nervous, second time piece of p....
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been under general anaesthetic once, when I was about 20. I'd been given a pre-med some time before to make me sleepy, but it didn't work, just gave me a migraine!

I was scared when I was wheeled into the operating surgery. One of the nurses held my hand as the surgeon asked me to count down from 10 to 0. I probably got as far as about 7!! I don't know how long I was under, but I woke up in bed feeling groggy with the lady in the bed next to me asking how I was lol. I didn't dream or anything. Only remember counting down the numbers and then waking up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkster wrote: »

I had a gynae op a couple of years ago - in and out the same day. I was absolutely terrified and my blood pressure was quite high!!! However, I remember the theatre assistants talking to me and then not a single thing until I woke up in the recovery ward. I felt a bit woozy for a while but after a good nights sleep was pretty much ok - just a bit sore. You shouldn't be too bad as you won't be 'under' for long. I know exactly how you feel - fear of the unknown - but you will be fine. Its just the waiting that's the worst bit - too much time to think. Good luck :D
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I hope things go well for you pinkster I am sure they will. Everyone I know of that has had an op has been fine with it.

I would be the same as you though, I am terrified of the idea of being put under general. I would probably insist on staying awake if I could get adequate pain relief. Bit of a wimp me. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone for your reassuring replies.

Just got back in- surgeon said that surgery appears to have gone okay so far (touch wood) and all the nurses were so nice. I think my biggest fear was the whole 'count backwards from 10' bit before they do the general anesthetic, and so I got a bit agitated when I thought it was coming. The anesthetic guy was so fabulous- one minute I was freaking out and hyperventilating (I felt like such an idiot but the nurse told me that they get a lot of that kind of thing. I was fine until they started sticking pads and stuff on me!) and the next minute I was waking up! :D I'm so pleased that he just went ahead and did it without me having to count. I didn't even tell him that that was the bit I was worried about so maybe he just knew! The nurse afterwards said maybe he did tell me to count but I forgot about it.

I do still feel a bit funny so hopefully this post has made sense! Just wanted to say thank you for your replies- they really did help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad it all went well,you'll probably feel a bit funny for the rest of tonight but should be fine after a good nights sleep

AJxx
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Glad you are safe and sound :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    Glad it all went well Pinkster.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it went well for you. I know how you felt as I had my first operation recently and I felt exactly the way you described, I was really scared of having the anaesthetic.

But I won't be scared if I have to have another operation. That's one less phobia!! Hurrah!! :):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the pre med and the next thing I remember is waking up after the operation. I have absolutely no recollection of anything inbetween:D
    Glad to hear everything went well for you.