'You guys at Sky News...'

gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
Forum Member
Is there anything more cringeworthy on any news channel than this kind of chronic self-congratulation? If it's not the bloke somewhere or other saying how great Sky News is, or Noel Gallagher saying how he knows what he's just said will be repeated on Sky News because he's mentioned Sky News, it's Adam Boulton trying to get Obama to mention Sky and then the ad fades out before Obama's 'couldn't give a damn' expression becomes too noticeable. Just about every ad break features one of these ghastly self-promotions. The channel really doesn't need this naffness.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't expect anything less from a Murdoch corporation!
  • tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most annoying bit on sky news is that licking bloke. Hope his home got flooded!!
  • berncolberncol Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really seen the point of having to sit through an advert for something I'm already watching.
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They even had a Jedward one for a short while. I agree, it's vulgar.
  • SPniSPni Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the one where Adam Boulton say's "The BBC are waiting for you" Arrogant to the max.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the tories win the election they'll likely change the rule saying news channels have to be neutral on the stories they cover. Then we'll have Fox News UK and you'll all miss Sky News. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    What makes me laugh is Sky News tell anybody who will listen what a decent news channel they are.....IMO as decent as the Sun or News of The World......Tabloid Rubbish! I prefer the BBC News channel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Does Sky News actually show any news? They sometimes read out one or two headlines in between the sports report, weather, and adverts, but that's about it.
  • ident4ident4 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    SPni wrote: »
    It's the one where Adam Boulton say's "The BBC are waiting for you" Arrogant to the max.

That one with Gordon Brown always made me laugh.

Far from impressing me with Sky, every time I saw it I thought less of them.

Without that ad I would have assumed that Sky often interviewed the PM before the BBC just because it was their turn, but that ad made me just think
    "Wow. It must be very rare for you to get to the PM first if you keep going on and on about the one time it happened"
  • Eat The TellyEat The Telly Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Self praise in no praise, as they say.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught Sky News earlier at my family's place, and my first thought was "who on earth watches this tabloid drivel". I had to turn over after five minutes.
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ident4 wrote: »
    That one with Gordon Brown always made me laugh.

Far from impressing me with Sky, every time I saw it I thought less of them.

Without that ad I would have assumed that Sky often interviewed the PM before the BBC just because it was their turn, but that ad made me just think
    "Wow. It must be very rare for you to get to the PM first if you keep going on and on about the one time it happened"

That one made me stop and think too - and I realised that the BBC do usually get the major interviews from the politicians first. I only like Sky now for their 'what's in the papers' slot, the rest is just tabloid trash and their graphics are getting a bit like ads on this site - too flashy and OTT.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Well, it's reassuring I'm not the only one who gets rattled by this! This forum can be quite therapeutic!
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    TBH I don't minds Sky News but those promotional ads get on my wick.
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calm down you lot

its only like the idents that channels have........bbc advertise their own programmes too

as for news, sky does go tabloidy now and again, but if i want serious news stuff, andrew mar on sunday morning does that for me
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    semiminted wrote: »
    calm down you lot

its only like the idents that channels have........bbc advertise their own programmes too

Not the same thing.