it it g@y to like Take That?

shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I hated Take That back in the 90's what with all the school girls fainting etc but I have to say their new single is very catchy and I would never guess its Take That if I didnt know already.

So, is it 'g@y' for a 'nearly 40' male to like a Take That song ;) What do NME, Q etc have to say about the band these days?

Comments

• PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can write the word 'gay' you know, you won't catch anything.

and who cares if it's 'gay' or not to like them? you're in your 40s. by now you should know you are allowed to like what you like

you shouldn't use 'gay' in a negative way either
  • gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Why don't you use your own personal judgement and decide whether or not you like their music for yourself? Surely at 'nearly 40' you can make up your own mind and don't need someone to make it up for you. As for 'is it g@y', since when is it OK to make a homophobic comment on a forum?
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    you can write the word 'gay' you know, you won't catch anything.

and who cares if it's 'gay' or not to like them? you're in your 40s. by now you should know you are allowed to like what you like

you shouldn't use 'gay' in a negative way either

sorry you took it in a negative light. I spelt it like 'g@y' to stop the search engine hits.

and bl**dy hell at the other poster too.. i didnt mean to use the term in a negative light at all. Other people (namely comedians etc) use the word in a joke sense all the time and no one has a go at them!

Sorry I rattled everyones cages at this time of the morning.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I don't think he meant it in a negative way at all.

As a gay man I didn't take offense to it at all.

Far too many sensitive people on here.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im not getting into the whys and why nots of using gay in a negative way but i would rather people didnt.

imagine being a kid at school coming to terms with what you are, with being gay, and constantly hearing 'gay' to mean bad?

i appreciate you didnt mean it that way.

though i cant imagine any comedian using gay like that without there being a backlash
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Do you sleep or having romantic feelings for men? Then no you're not gay. Insecure maybe, but not gay.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not gay to like a Take That song, no. If you find yourself salivating over their early music video where they're inexplicably naked in jelly, then maybe you've got questions to answer.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listen to whatever you like and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Its your life dammit!
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I hated Take That back in the 90's what with all the school girls fainting etc...

I was exactly the same and along with my other male friends, we used to dismiss "Take That" as girls' music. However, as I've posted before, I now have 3 Take That songs on my mp3 player, all of which I hated at the time! Two of them are cover versions ("It Only Takes A Minute" and "Could It Be Magic") and the other one, "Pray," is still a guilty pleasure and there is no denying it. Tastes change but I personally wouldn't admit to my friends that I like some of Take That's older songs!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    I was exactly the same and along with my other male friends, we used to dismiss "Take That" as girls' music. However, as I've posted before, I now have 3 Take That songs on my mp3 player, all of which I hated at the time! Two of them are cover versions ("It Only Takes A Minute" and "Could It Be Magic") and the other one, "Pray," is still a guilty pleasure and there is no denying it. Tastes change but I personally wouldn't admit to my friends that I like some of Take That's older songs!

Have the courage of your own convictions;)
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like their music - no, not gay.

If you like their bodies - perhaps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really buy into the idea of a 'guilty pleasure', you should really either like something or don't, without bothering about how it reflects on you.
  • reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes incredibly gay, you may aswell just go out and find a big black guy to ****. :D
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Everything changes but you! :D

Take That's new album was the fastest selling album of the century so far, I doubt the only people who bought it were women and gay men.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Unless listening to Take That makes you sexually attracted to men, I think we can safely say that it doesn't make you gay.

Incidentally, I don't think I know any gay men who have shown any interest in Take That. I actually know of more straight men who love to sing along to their hits.

They always struck me as a band girls and mums loved, not really gays. They ain't Cher, put it that way.
    Forum Member
    What makes Take That different to the likes of U2, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs? They are all boybands too that mostly men listen to. Take That are no different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my dad LOVES take that, and he's married.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    What makes Take That different to the likes of U2, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs? They are all boybands too that mostly men listen to. Take That are no different.

Excuse me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »

You're confusing 'boyband' with 'bands consisting of boys'.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, that was badly written of me :) What I meant was, they are bands consisting of boys. They have an audience that include a wide majority of Men. Take That aren't any different, especially since they reformed in 2006. They have a much more mature sound :)
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im a 23 year old straight male and i think they're great and I'm not embarassed to admit it
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol at everyone answering this thread as though the OP meant 'gay' as in 'homosexual' :rolleyes:

But no, I'd say Take That are one of the few boybands it's socially acceptable to like, seeing as how they write their own material and don't stick to formulaic pop *cough* JLS *cough*. I say that as a guy whose three favourite bands are Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Iron Maiden!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    lol at everyone answering this thread as though the OP meant 'gay' as in 'homosexual' :rolleyes:

...what else would he have meant? Does it make him really happy and carefree to like Take That?
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP I get what you mean and no it doesn't make you gay. My cousin is a typical "mans mans" and would have happily set fire to Take That in the 90's but has really liked their new music.

Ps if you had used camp instead of gay it probably wouldn't have been an issue, even though it shouldn't be anyway.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...what else would he have meant? Does it make him really happy and carefree to like Take That?

He was obviously referring to the modern vernacular use of 'gay' as 'weird, stupid' etc. It's usage has changed considerably over the past couple of decades. Certainly virtually nobody uses gay to mean 'happy, carefree' anymore, so it's acquired different meanings instead.

Language is constantly changing and adapting. It is not static.
This discussion has been closed.