Inside the Human Body, BBC1

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree.

We're quite happy to watch babies being born (at the beginning of life) so why not see some die (at the end of life).

It was done sensitively and tastefully and I for one thought the programme was fantastic.

Speak for yourself! :eek:
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neon tiger wrote: »
    Speak for yourself! :eek:

To be fair they havent really shown anything in graphic detail.

If they did, I'd be hiding behind my cushion.

Trust me :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The little girl who could speak several languages was pretty amazing.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone watching?

Looks promising.

Very interesting.

getting this on dvd :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    I can't believe I'm so excited that they're doing the immune system. I hope they show what happens when it goes wrong and starts attacking your body.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    getting this on dvd :)

Same here, when it's released. I'm hoping they release a book as well. Just check ..... nah, they must be waiting to start on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not about the immune system, my mistake.

Boourns :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    White blood cells! Here's the little buggers!
  • Options
    burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The presenter said the little boy was at home ill with the flu, but it was really just a cold. Whenever I have had flu it's never been accompanied by a cold. You'd have thought a programme like this would know the difference between a cold and the flu.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graphic stuff! Really amazing though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, disappointed no exploration of auto-immune disease, but what's that compared to a double hand transplant? Amazing stuff.

He's got someone else's fingerprints now. Weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not a biological marvel. Mine's broken, I want a refund. Or at least a credit note.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burneside wrote: »
    The presenter said the little boy was at home ill with the flu, but it was really just a cold. Whenever I have had flu it's never been accompanied by a cold. You'd have thought a programme like this would know the difference between a cold and the flu.

It did look like a cold. Some people describe themselves as having the flu when they have a cold, but as you say you'd expect accuracy on this show, so I'm guessing it really was the flu.

It's really been a fantastic series. One of the best documentary series I've seen in years.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burneside wrote: »

You must have special powers to diagnose from edited tv pictures. From the BBC Health website for symptoms:

Symptoms include fever, headache, cough, sore throat and muscle aches. They appear quickly, last for about seven days and generally leave you exhausted for weeks afterwards. One minute you're fine, the next you've been knocked for six and are too ill to do anything.

It's different from the common cold, in which the symptoms tend to come on gradually, usually affecting only the nose, throat, sinuses and upper chest. When someone has a cold, they're still able to get about and usually recover fully after about a week. Flu can cause serious complications, including pneumonia, and can even be fatal.
  • Options
    burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have special powers to diagnose from edited tv pictures. From the BBC Health website for symptoms:

Symptoms include fever, headache, cough, sore throat and muscle aches. They appear quickly, last for about seven days and generally leave you exhausted for weeks afterwards. One minute you're fine, the next you've been knocked for six and are too ill to do anything.

It's different from the common cold, in which the symptoms tend to come on gradually, usually affecting only the nose, throat, sinuses and upper chest. When someone has a cold, they're still able to get about and usually recover fully after about a week. Flu can cause serious complications, including pneumonia, and can even be fatal.

No I don't have special powers, I just watched what was presented on screen. At one point the child had a streaming nose, as the presenter indelicately described the "snot" stage. A cold is not the flu.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, disappointed no exploration of auto-immune disease, but what's that compared to a double hand transplant? Amazing stuff.

He's got someone else's fingerprints now. Weird.

That hand transplant was absolutely incredible. I find it amazing that surgeons are able to do that, must be the most complicated wiring job of all time joining up all those muscles and veins. Also massively weird that the guy now has someone else's hands, that feels stranger to me than having someone else's heart or liver, not sure how I'd cope with that.

Brilliant series all round.