Options

New ITV Drama - WITHOUT YOU

Comments

• Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should have spent more time concentrating on the couple before he went. He only appeared in the first 5 mins so never really connected with him

Well that's the way it was done in the book.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bilsheene wrote: »
    She could at least have put on a pair of wellies before traisping around that mucky copse in her shift.

Yeah it looked like a scene out of the evil dead.:o

After the initial surprise of his passing in the first ten minutes I found this slow going. I'm intrigued enough to want to know who is the murderer ( or murderers are ) but it feels like it will be hard going getting through all of this.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her friend definitely knows something!
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought the old lady at the funeral was a clue. She said he was her accountant and very helpful etc. Wonder if he was involved in something fraudulent with clients' funds, getting their trust then syphoning cash off?
  • Options
    mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of mystery people in car seats, or lack of them, did anyone notice the missing taxi driver as she went towards the cab to go to the crash scene? Awful error.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    Looks promising, but why do they spoil things with ridiculous dialogue, ie a copper using the word 'shagging' in court? No way would that happen, just gratuitous.

You are spot on there. You know this kind of thing just drives me mad, there is no way on this planet a copper would say or be allowed to say anything of that nature in witness box unless he was repeating a statement.
    These script writers need to go back to school IMO.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it although agree with others that they could have spent more time building the bond between husband and wife...

Also agree with others than Anna Friel just gets more and more beautiful and is a naturally good actress.:)

Always had a thing for Anna Friel since her Brookside days.
    I thought she looked absolutely yummy in that dress she had on at the beginning of the programme.

Not so good in her nightie though. Would a young woman in her 30's wear such a thing ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are spot on there. You know this kind of thing just drives me mad, there is no way on this planet a copper would say or be allowed to say anything of that nature in witness box unless he was repeating a statement.

Especially in front of the widow & widower of two recently deceased people and with a smile on his face.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Especially in front of the widow & widower of two recently deceased people and with a smile on his face.

Agred, just wouldn't happen. Never said "sorry" either.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it although agree with others that they could have spent more time building the bond between husband and wife...

Also agree with others than Anna Friel just gets more and more beautiful and is a naturally good actress.:)

If they did that there'd be no mystery about what the husband was up to! I think that must have been done on purpose to create the mystery, surely?
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Is it possible the dead body wasn't Greg, do we think? Pretty implausible, I know, but they did emphasise that his face was burnt.

Agree about the "shagging" comment -ridiculous.

We were intrigued enough to watch next week though, daughter even put off her computer time:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    Is it possible the dead body wasn't Greg, do we think? Pretty implausible, I know, but they did emphasise that his face was burnt.

When the programme started and the scene of Anna in the hall on the phone, there was no carpet on the floor, the walls were bare and I thought couple struggling to get the house in order so maybe hard up for cash and it was an elaborate insurance scam. Being an accountant I expect Greg had a pretty good life insurance policy.

However when the show started taking a different turn of trying to find out who Melina was I have since dismissed that theory.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »

Agree about the "shagging" comment -ridiculous.

We were intrigued enough to watch next week though, daughter even put off her computer time:eek:

We did see him lying in the morgue when she went to id him...he didn't look too burnt just a bit 'singed'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I read the book a few months ago, though I cannot remember what happened eventually, but it is certainly a very good mystery. I didn't think Anna Freil was a teacher in the book , but a furniture restorer and I'm sure it was based in London , not Manchester. These are minor matters though.
  • Options
    Lindsey TLindsey T Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I loved it, really looking forward to next week. Anna Friel was great.
    Gwen definitely knows something, and the husband is dodgy as hell, however I think it's darker than it seems. Not directly down to the husband, but more to do with Milena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    When the programme started and the scene of Anna in the hall on the phone, there was no carpet on the floor, the walls were bare and I thought couple struggling to get the house in order
    Yes, I thought maybe that explained the Victorian Nightie too -no central heating
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We did see him lying in the morgue when she went to id him...he didn't look too burnt just a bit 'singed'.

true , he was still pretty recognisable, I guess
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree and was very surprised it was a copper speaking, made the scene very amatuerish to say the least.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the friend was very odd. When Anna's character found the rocking horse in the shed and the pal told her that it didn’t prove he loved her. Strange to say the least. Do you not encourage bereaved people to grab onto any comforting thoughts?

Also agree that Anna Friel looks fab and she’s such a naturalistic actor.

I always like these ITV ‘thriller’s. They’re often a lot of old tosh but generally speaking enjoyable tosh. Although, sometimes the endings can be very unsatisfactory.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might have been mentioned, but I'm not trawling back through so many pages.

I thought this was brilliant;

"Woven Willow? Greg wouldn't have been seen dead buried in a picnic basket."

Given the strong cast, I guessed as soon as he "died" Greg would be re-appearing like a "Ghost" character.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who was the guy who played the judge in the court room scene? Its been bugging me since last. I'm sure I've seen him somewhere before
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, but I did think it was a bit strange that all the close friends were dismissive of her belief in her husband, and they all seemed to be trying to convince her that she was wrong, and her husband had been having an affair. Certainly not the way you'd expect a friend to treat a bereaved young woman!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, but I did think it was a bit strange that all the close friends were dismissive of her belief in her husband, and they all seemed to be trying to convince her that she was wrong, and her husband had been having an affair. Certainly not the way you'd expect a friend to treat a bereaved young woman!

This was the first of three episodes, if she had more support it'd be over in two.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, but I did think it was a bit strange that all the close friends were dismissive of her belief in her husband, and they all seemed to be trying to convince her that she was wrong, and her husband had been having an affair. ............

Maybe they knew what he was like, because they'd all had affairs with him?
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought it was a bit strange too. They came across as a bit "cold".

Her best mate is rather strange too. Cant put my finger on it but there's "something" about her thats not right.