Options

Previous employer trying to jeopardise my new career

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    The person you worked for on a voluntary basis then as an employee, was it within a company or was he a sole self-employed accountant?

Did you pay tax and NI?

What tax code were you on?

Did anyone else work for him?

He sounds very suspicious.
    It's a Limited company owned by one person.

No I don't think I did, I also don't know my Tax code because I was never provided with my P45, I can always contact HMRC about this though.

At work we had a guy who was just there to support him but was never paid by him (strange). Also a week before I left he took on a new girl who would replace me and was being paid apprenticeship wage (according to her).

According to her, when she applied through her own college, the company advertised to pay £150 a week. When she started however, he told her that he was only paying her £80 a week. I told her to contact the college because he's AGAIN wrongly advertising.

He is very suspicious, there are other things about him that I won't say on here because it's pretty bad. Never liked the guy
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Ameena_Q wrote: »
    I'll give a mini update on what's been going on.

Firstly as some might know, I contacted Trading Standards last Monday and contacted Advertisement Standards, ACCA, AAT, CPAA about his false practise, he advertises on his website that he is under all of the above when he is not.

Last night I received a text message saying 'Nice Try, Let's Go'. I though nothing of it but felt suspicious so I asked a friend to text the number back asking who this is. A message was received straight back saying the following:-

"Do not get involved. This is a legal matter between me and the person in question. Any involvement between yourself will be noted"

At this point I'm thinking it IS my employer as he does have my number and who else do I have a possible 'legal' issue with? Straight after I received a text saying 'At least have the decency to Respond to me yourself'...now I'm in my mind it's definitely him, I chose to ignore the message to not feed into this person.

Today I received 2 e-mails, first one from CPAA confirming that he is not under them and that they will be in contact with him. The second e-mail was from the Advertising Standards stating that they will assess my claim and will get back me in the next ten days as to whether they will proceed action. I'm yet to hear from ACCA, AAT & Trading Standards.

Very unprofessional from both you and him. Why are you getting a friend to text him back, why don't you just grow up and ignore him or better still let it go and get on with your new job and put this down to experience. You had no contract and he can just say that you were volunteering for the 3 unpaid days.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Limited company owned by one person.

No I don't think I did, I also don't know my Tax code because I was never provided with my P45, I can always contact HMRC about this though.

At work we had a guy who was just there to support him but was never paid by him (strange). Also a week before I left he took on a new girl who would replace me and was being paid apprenticeship wage (according to her).

According to her, when she applied through her own college, the company advertised to pay £150 a week. When she started however, he told her that he was only paying her £80 a week. I told her to contact the college because he's AGAIN wrongly advertising.

He is very suspicious, there are other things about him that I won't say on here because it's pretty bad. Never liked the guy

If you received a pay slip each week/month the tax code that HMRC were applying would have been on that....you have stated in an earlier post you were "on the payroll system"

And BTW I assume you knew he wasn't AAT etc registered when you were working there.

If that bothered at the time you why didn't you raise it with the college sooner?

And even if you did not know...is it possible the fact he isn't or may not be in any way invalidate your qualifications since such placements can often be based on having done the work placement and the supervision being in in an appropriately recognised/registered organisation.

Also in terms of your future employment you presumably could never list this as employment at an AAT etc registered company and to do so on your CV would be to fib.

Trying to trash the reputation/credibility of a former employer is an unwise game to play as a way of settling a dispute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    If you received a pay slip each week/month the tax code that HMRC were applying would have been on that....you have stated in an earlier post you were "on the payroll system"

And BTW I assume you knew he wasn't AAT etc registered when you were working there.

If that bothered at the time you why didn't you raise it with the college sooner?

And even if you did not know...is it possible the fact he isn't or may not be in any way invalidate your qualifications since such placements can often be based on having done the work placement and the supervision being in in an appropriately recognised/registered organisation.

Also in terms of your future employment you presumably could never list this as employment at an AAT etc registered company and to do so on your CV would be to fib.

Trying to trash the reputation/credibility of a former employer is an unwise game to play as a way of settling a dispute.

You are right, I'd have to look into them instead.

No when I started, he stated in his advertisement that he was AAT registered, the college wouldn't of passed me to the him otherwise. I've only just noticed this after I left while I was doing a little bit of homework on the owner. Yes Yes Yes I should of done this sooner but yes, I was stupid as a result.

This is possible and I've thought about that as well which is wrong. This is why I've had to contact AAT to find out for myself.

On my CV I haven't stated if the Employer is AAT Registered, nor is there any need. If I was to be interviewed in the future and was asked this, I''ll be honest with them.

It may be unwise, but it was unwise for the previous employer to just send an extremely poor reference to my current employer. Had they seen this reference before giving me the contract, I wouldn't of gotten the job. The current employer only obtained this after my contract was signed. It's still wrong though.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's for the college to do the due diligence required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right, I'd have to look into them instead.

No when I started, he stated in his advertisement that he was AAT registered, the college wouldn't of passed me to the him otherwise. I've only just noticed this after I left while I was doing a little bit of homework on the owner. Yes Yes Yes I should of done this sooner but yes, I was stupid as a result.

This is possible and I've thought about that as well which is wrong. This is why I've had to contact AAT to find out for myself.

On my CV I haven't stated if the Employer is AAT Registered, nor is there any need. If I was to be interviewed in the future and was asked this, I''ll be honest with them.

It may be unwise, but it was unwise for the previous employer to just send an extremely poor reference to my current employer. Had they seen this reference before giving me the contract, I wouldn't of gotten the job. The current employer only obtained this after my contract was signed. It's still wrong though.

So all of this post event research/digging into his background is all about pay back for a poor reference and a dispute about a notice period.

Even though neither of those things prevented you getting and starting the job you are doing now?

:confused:

Look on the bright side...your future fate is now in your own hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    It's for the college to do the due diligence required.

It is but if the OP discovered something amiss during that placement I would have thought they had a responsibility to report those concerns...both in the interests of their own placement and that of other students who might come later.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is but if the OP discovered something amiss during that placement I would have thought they had a responsibility to report those concerns...both in the interests of their own placement and that of other students who might come later.
    I agree. I just felt (rightly or wrongly) you were putting unfair requirements on the op.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like trouble.

I have worked for several awful and dodgy solicitors firms, so I can believe that you have been paid late or not at all and below minimum wage. Having said that, you only had 2 days to go until a new job, which you got thanks to the experience you gained at this previous employer, so why cause so much drama and not just leave on good terms?! Your texts were unnecessarily rude and now you are on some kind of a crusade to ruin your previous employer. I have a lot of experience with people who badmouth their previous employers and leave on bad terms and it usually happens again at their new employers. Stop all the drama and get on with your new job.

On a side note, it's "have" and not "of".
  • Options
    MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she sounds like trouble at all, naive yes, to stay at that place, being paid minimum wage - but the boss sounds dodgy as hell.

I'd get screen prints of his website claims, ensure that he can't wriggle out of it. I'd be wary of him though, if he knows where you live i'd be very very careful.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    The OP has to be careful this does not follow his/her career and cause trouble in the future.

My wife went to College at age 30 as a mature student.
    She has been "chased" 4 times now for the "unpaid NI contributions" for the 2 years while she was a student, despite filling in all the correct forms with the college and sending them to HMRC, both at the time, and again later on.

Does this "employer" have to fill in an assessment for the college course - which might go the college record, or affect the grade.

I worked at a factory that had placements from Universities every year, and one year the poor student had her final assessment when the manager was in a REALLY bad mood, and the assessment was basically a character assassination. (We used to mark the Manager's PMS days on the calendar so we could avoid being in the office those days)
    It was unfounded and pure poison.
    IIRC her College and Father got involved and got the assessment voided,
    but I even offered to give her a reference or statement as she was actually good at the job but the assessment did not show this.
  • Options
    CoffeeAndCakeCoffeeAndCake Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Contact ACAS as soon as possible. They will be able to offer advice on what sounds like a very complicated, awkward and difficult situation. Good luck with everything and I hope you manage to sort things out.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    You sound like trouble.

I have worked for several awful and dodgy solicitors firms, so I can believe that you have been paid late or not at all and below minimum wage. Having said that, you only had 2 days to go until a new job, which you got thanks to the experience you gained at this previous employer, so why cause so much drama and not just leave on good terms?! Your texts were unnecessarily rude and now you are on some kind of a crusade to ruin your previous employer. I have a lot of experience with people who badmouth their previous employers and leave on bad terms and it usually happens again at their new employers. Stop all the drama and get on with your new job.

On a side note, it's "have" and not "of".

My impression too. And with "favor", "color", "should of" and "wouldn't of gotten" I'm wondering if the Birmingham she claims to come from isn't the one in the Deep South.