Annual leave without going on holiday?

1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It was my understanding that annual leave could be used for whatever you liked, If you wanted to sit on the sofa for your entire annual leave then that's up to you?

I'm on my annual summer leave at the moment, when I booked it got asked 101 questions as to why and what I was doing where I was going. I got it off OK but the impression given was that this is not something that usually happens in this company if you have no holiday booked.

The same vibe was given off by my co workers, some who have carried over 3-4 years worth of holidays. I told them I was taking the kids to various parks and attractions over my leave, Nope doesn't matter, should be in work, is the vibe they gave me. They have even messaged me on whatsapp this week "Well are you taking it easy" again also hinting that I am sitting on my ar$e while I should be at work, your made to feel bad about taking your entitled to annual leave.

Perhaps the resentment is coming from the fact the company runs on a skeleton workforce, they don't allow for people being sick or holidays etc which means more stress on everyone else.

Have you ever encountered this? Am I actually doing anything wrong?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member

No you're not, THEY are :D

In fact you're pretty well obliged to take your holiday entitlements now.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope. As long as you have accumulated the holidays you require, given the required notice as per your contract and there are no conflicts such as someone else on your team is off at the same time (varies from company to company) then that is it. You do not need to explain why you need the time off or even tell them what you plan to do.

The only scenario where the above might not apply is if you're required to be "on call" as part of your job.. but they'd need to pay you quite handsomely to be on call during a holiday.

It does sound like there may be a culture at your place of work where people are passively encouraged to only take time off when they really need to. But that's rubbish. you can take time off whenever you like as long as you meet the above conditions. It's a big mistake to think you "owe" the company something and not taking holidays will somehow be rewarded. It usually isn't.

Of course theres nothing wrong with co-workers taking an interest in your life and perhaps asking a "Oh going anywhere nice?" type question. That's fine.. so just make sure you're not over analysing. Enjoy your time off!
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never encountered that kind of attitude when I'm on holiday, and we run on a skeleton staff as well, but everyone chips in and there is no resentment.

I have given up holidays in the past, but that was my decision as long as I got paid for them which I did.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Positively encouraged to take holiday where I work, never any issue as to whether yo have an actual holiday booked or not.

Tell your nosy colleagues you are spending 2 weeks in the Costa Del Backgarden! :D
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I always take all my holiday, it doesn't matter whether I am sitting on a sun lounger by a pool or sitting in my back garden it's my annual leave to do what I want with. I don't even bother looking at my emails until the day I walk back into the office.

Paid annual leave is a legal right, and no one should be made to feel like they can't take it.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we don't book our holidays by a certain point in the year they are allocated by personnel as they take it we don't need specific weeks off but they need to ensure we all get our full entitlement. We may ask a general "doing anything nice while you're off" question but if someone (including me) says they are doing absolutely nothing nobody cares, just wish each other a good time.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I've not been on holiday for 10 years but I still take my 25 days every year. I'm off from Friday and I'll be sleeping in, pottering around the house and not doing much that takes me more than 5 miles from home.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    At our place we're not allowed to carry over, you have to take them or lose them so everyone has the odd day off to be a bit of a bum or take the kids out or do the garden or whatever the hell they want since it's their annual leave.

It sounds like your colleagues are the odd ones to me not you!
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sound mental. I'd start phoning in for random days off because i wanted to rearrange my cutlery drawer or stare out of the window.
  • CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work in a place like that, massive resentment from colleagues that I'd booked two weeks off leaving them stuck in the office. As I didn't have kids it was seen as an extra affront that I dared to take annual leave during summer or occasionally at Christmas (I worked in retail).
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    If you work in a food business they are entitled to ask if you are going anywhere exotic, from a health point of view in case you catch anything nasty.

otherwise it is no-one's business but yours.

However i did work at a place like yours where I kept getting phone calls while I was on holiday - one week I actually did go away and came back to over 40 messages on my answerphone.

Now I always say I am going whale watching in Alaska, or birdwatching in the Outer Hebrides - neither of which (at that time) had good phone signals or wifi.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are doing nothing wrong.

It's bad enough that management have taken a legally unjustified interest in your holidays, but the fact that they've successfully created a culture where their staff take the same attitude is pretty sad.

The problem is probably so engrained however that you'd probably have quite a task on your hands to fix it.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    If staff are not taking their holidays - then it might be that the firm is breaking EU working hours laws.

Assume there is not a Union on site.
    I am no fan of Unions, but this the kind of stuff they really excel at.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Where I used to work any staff carrying over 3 or 4 years of annual leave would certainly have had it taken away. You could carry-over a small amount, about a week, but this had to be used within a specified time, and it certainly wasn't 3 or 4 years!
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... hinting that I am sitting on my ar$e while I should be at work...

Nope, sitting about doing nothing is exactly what holiday/leave is there for, you have done nothing wrong in your choice to spend that time in your own home rather than some overcrowded hotel swimming pool far away.

I was saved the worst part of what you had in that we have a scheduled 2 week shut down, where it is okay to take time off, but I do find it a struggle to have to explain every year that, no I am not going anywhere. I have to go into the reason being that in my previous job I was a travelling rep, and I have had more than enough airports and hotels to last me a couple of lifetimes, and I certainly can't bring myself to see anything even slightly enjoyable about travelling anywhere.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nothing to do with company what you use your annual leave for.

Your colleagues sound like a bunch of idiots.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never encountered the attitude the OP mentions in 30 years of working. The only time I can see that happening is if your plan is to do something that is much the same as what you do when at work. An employer might feel you aren't getting a proper break or perhaps that you're doing paid work for someone else.

I wonder if the OP is be misinterpreting people's comments. If you say "On my holiday I'm going to sit around all day on the sofa" someone might respond with "That sounds a bit boring and a waste of a good day off".

But everywhere I've worked holidays have been sacrosanct the only comment I've ever got is "Why haven't you taken all your holidays, yes?" the implication always being that it's important to take breaks from work.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my understanding that annual leave could be used for whatever you liked, If you wanted to sit on the sofa for your entire annual leave then that's up to you?

I'm on my annual summer leave at the moment, when I booked it got asked 101 questions as to why and what I was doing where I was going. I got it off OK but the impression given was that this is not something that usually happens in this company if you have no holiday booked.

The same vibe was given off by my co workers, some who have carried over 3-4 years worth of holidays. I told them I was taking the kids to various parks and attractions over my leave, Nope doesn't matter, should be in work, is the vibe they gave me. They have even messaged me on whatsapp this week "Well are you taking it easy" again also hinting that I am sitting on my ar$e while I should be at work, your made to feel bad about taking your entitled to annual leave.

Perhaps the resentment is coming from the fact the company runs on a skeleton workforce, they don't allow for people being sick or holidays etc which means more stress on everyone else.

What rubbish, annual leave can't be spent doing whatever you please and cannot be carried over, it has to be used before the end of the year (March)
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What rubbish, annual leave can't be spent doing whatever you please and cannot be carried over, it has to be used before the end of the year (March)
    What rubbish. It depends on the company. I've worked in companies where the holiday year is Jan to Dec. Or April to March. Or October to September. And sometimes you can carry over a certain number of days. Or you can sell them back. Or buy extra. Or they just vanish if not used (although in every company I've worked where that happens you get a lot of pressure to use the days up).

And the only thing I can see an employer complaining about is if you spend your 'holiday' doing what is essentially your job (perhaps for someone else) and therefore not getting a break.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    What rubbish. It depends on the company. I've worked in companies where the holiday year is Jan to Dec. Or April to March. Or October to September. And sometimes you can carry over a certain number of days. Or you can sell them back. Or buy extra. Or they just vanish if not used (although in every company I've worked where that happens you get a lot of pressure to use the days up).

And the only thing I can see an employer complaining about is if you spend your 'holiday' doing what is essentially your job (perhaps for someone else) and therefore not getting a break.

Maybe but it's not down to the employer or colleagues to tell the op how he spends them
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Come again? Authorised annual leave can be used however you might want to spend it. It's nobody's business what happens out of working hours, subject to the usual caveats about not breaking the law and not doing things that could bring your employer into disrepute. Beyond that, it's not the company's business nor any business of your colleagues what you might get up to.

It's a bit sad that the company itself discourages leave; worse that colleagues agree with the idea that holidays are a bad thing and should be discouraged and justified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Come again? Authorised annual leave can be used however you might want to spend it. It's nobody's business what happens out of working hours, subject to the usual caveats about not breaking the law and not doing things that could bring your employer into disrepute. Beyond that, it's not the company's business nor any business of your colleagues what you might get up to.

It's a bit sad that the company itself discourages leave; worse that colleagues agree with the idea that holidays are a bad thing and should be discouraged and justified.

Typo

Should be can instead of can't
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have people gone mad here?! The whole point of annual leave is that it's your allocated time off work. Your break. You can do whatever you like with it. Where I work the holiday year runs from April to March and we can book it off whenever we like...even as short notice as two days before as long as there's staff to cover etc. We're also allowed to carry over any holiday we haven't used into the following holiday year. I've just booked off a couple of days next week actually, to do absolutely nothing but shop. Someone asked me if I was doing anything or going away and I said that I'll be shopping until I drop and they said they'll be taking a day off to do exactly the same as soon as we next get paid. Nobody cares. It's your time off work for you to do whatever you like. Seriously, if people are actually questioning you the way you say they are and making comments, then I'd kick up a fuss. Its' your time off. You can do what you like.
  • horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a total cheek! In our place I dont generally let anyone carry over holidays, our place can be quite stressful when we're busy so the guys need their time off. I always ask what they've got planned but only because I actually show an interest in the staff nothing else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a total cheek! In our place I dont generally let anyone carry over holidays, our place can be quite stressful when we're busy so the guys need their time off. I always ask what they've got planned but only because I actually show an interest in the staff nothing else

I work for a large firm, you put your holidays in and you take them..