Caught a few episodes recently of Andromeda on Sky2

TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Jeeeesus, what a pile of cack. I was a avid watcher for the first couple of seasons then I chucked it. Now I remember why. Preposterous nonsense, wooden acting, pompous characters like Dylan Hunt and those supercilious Nietzschean dicks with those ridiculous arm bones that look like they've made in a school art class. Awful stuff.

Comments

• simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but the Andromeda Ascendent herself looked gorgeous in whichever form she was.
    My own niggle with the series was the plot concerning Laura Bertram's character, Trance, got rather convoluted to say the least!
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was why the actor who played Tyr left, he couldn't stand the lead actor.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched the whole 5 series straight through at an episode a night on Pick earlier this year

I enjoyed it..........:D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an ok show that did lose it in the later seasons. Give me andromeda over most of the sci-fi crap on tv these days. But these days, it's kinda hated in the sci-fi world. You rarely hear a good word about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    That was why the actor who played Tyr left, he couldn't stand the lead actor.

Tyr was the most wooden of all the wooden actors.......maybe he realised the others were showing him up.......:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an ok show that did lose it in the later seasons. Give me andromeda over most of the sci-fi crap on tv these days. But these days, it's kinda hated in the sci-fi world. You rarely hear a good word about it.

I thought the last 2 series were the best with the World Ship and Abyss story arcs.........I liked the change of scenery on the last series with them being stuck on the desert planet
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Tyr was the most wooden of all the wooden actors.......maybe he realised the others were showing him up.......:o

He was particularly bad, wasn't he? That actor who played the tame Magog was another plank of wood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    That actor who played the tame Magog was another plank of wood.

Yeah........he left because he couldn't stand the make up.......when they enticed him back later he'd had some miraculous divine intervention to make him more human looking.......

These series always want to incorporate religious mumbo-jumbo in one form or another

Over the last 2/3 years I've had a real catch up on series that I didn't bother watching first time round........B5, Farscape, Firefly, Andromeda.......all watched at one episode per day on Watch or Pick or YouTube (Firefly).

OK, if pressed I might put Andromeda at the bottom of that list but I don't think it was awful and I enjoyed it
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Kevin has a BIG chip on his shoulder. He was accusing Lucy Lawless of sleeping her way into Xena, and was bitter because that show took away from his show.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin Sorbo is a conservative type. Very conservative type. Nuff said
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Kevin Sorbo is a conservative type. Very conservative type. Nuff said

A bit of a bible-basher as well
  • LMLM Posts: 63,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i found on the internet, Kevin Sorbo was a problem behind the scenes of Andromeda. This is what happens when the lead actor becomes an executive producer. They become too arrogant and kinda abuse the power. I came across some interviews of him pretty much slagging Lucy Lawless and Xena off. Xena was bigger than Hercules despite being a spin-off and his interviews pretty much show he was bitter about it. He claims Lucy only got her foot in the door through sleeping with Rob Tapert as well as calling her a **** and ****. He referred to Xena in one interview as "that lesbian show". His career has never really gone anywhere since Andromeda and his roles have resorted to awful tv movies and forgettable guest spots, so it sounds like a case of what goes around comes around. I bet Lucy Lawless is having the last laugh as her career is still going very strong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Just started watching this online....enjoyed the first 5 episodes. The series may have been paned during its original run , but considering there has been so little decent SciFi TV since Stargate Atlantis finished, I think Andromeda deserves to be given its just due....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raven_72 wrote: »
    Just started watching this online....enjoyed the first 5 episodes. The series may have been paned during its original run , but considering there has been so little decent SciFi TV since Stargate Atlantis finished, I think Andromeda deserves to be given its just due....

Despite the panning there's lots to enjoy !

story arcs that span most of 5 series, good 'baddies', good banter between the crew, lots of action, space battles............some familiar faces popping up (Q from Star Trek)
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The seasons were (iirc) a case of (1) Great (2) OK (3) Oh dear (4) Oh no (5) Seriously WTF.
    - and I've likened them to successive sequels to Weekend at Bernies, the series being just a bundle of rotted bones when compared to the first.
    And about the last season - they took a Space-series, involving a space ship going from planet to planet, seeking out new life and new civilizations, having space battles and being a family, and said fooey to that, lets take them all of the ship, separate them and spend the season in a single place doing not much..... ish.

ps. and I didn't even mention them bringing Tyr back in a 'castrated' form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a game of opinions........:D

I thought series 4 and 5 were the best
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,098
    Forum Member
    I quite liked the first season and a half. It wasn't amazing but it was pretty watchable (and remember that many first seasons are quite poor). Then the showrunner left, they morphed Trance into an entirely different character (simply to change the makeup requirements for the actress) and the plots became nonsensical. I read somewhere that the replacement showrunner was a former Twin Peaks writer - it showed :) The exact point where he took over is the point things became convoluted (start of Season 3). In fact, when it was first shown on TV I gave up mid-season 3. I caught the rest more recently and it didn't improve, it actually got worse.

Shame really. It did have a lot of potential.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    It's a game of opinions........:D
    I thought series 4 and 5 were the best
    Exactly. I accept other people may believe things totally different to wot I do. That doesn't stop me looking at them with a puzzled expression on me face though. :p - now I'm off to my Morris Dancing club.