How to make toast.

Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So yet again a government department is now interfering in our lives. The Food Standards Agency is telling us we should only lightly cook toast to reduce cancer. Well I'm sorry when the FSA starts telling us how we have to have our toast then that's taking it too far.

It's not as if the FSA is doing such a great job everywhere else. They just preach to us about 5 a day or is it now 7 a day, just remember though that can't be just fruit anymore, in fact it should really be 5 veg a day.

Got caught out with the horse meat as well didn't they. Now I'm sorry for a government department to be called the Food Standards Agency and then mess up that particular bit of food standards then they should be worrying about that sort of thing happening again rather than telling me how I have to cook my toast.

BTW I prefer my toast light brown, but come on have they nothing better to do. If that's a yes then they need to have funding cut or told to find something serious to do.

Comments

• Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally take your point, it's hard to know what advice we REALLY need to respect when we're bamboozled with so many food warnings everyday. The problem they have is that If there IS something exceptional and serious - how on earth do they make it stand out, in amongst the near saturation of health do's and don'ts that have people's heads spinning!

AFAIK there's always been long standing advice that it's not a good idea to eat burnt food. The risk of BBQing meat to the extent of causing carcinogens for example. I must admit though I'd never heard of acrylamides until this morning. I personally like that they give us the latest research findings on things - good or bad so we can look into it more and it at least gives us the choice to adapt things. It does seem this has been known about for a while though.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/acrylamide-fact-sheet
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/acrylamide.html
  • John_Adam1John_Adam1 Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a load of BS is you ask me.
    'Everything' causes cancer nowadays if you believe every 'expert' opinion you can find on the internet or on the news. I'm well past the stage of taking any notice. I'll continue to eat processed meats every day, have as much artificially sweetened foods as I want, etc. If they slightly increase my risk of cancer, so be it. We've all got to die of something and it's simply not worth the worry IMO.
  • lukeskywalker1lukeskywalker1 Posts: 1,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they waited till Monday to tell us that roast potatoes are bad for us, should of told us on Saturday!!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,841
    Forum Member
    Do they seriously think people are going to stop having well done toast because of this?

Idiots.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    In the morning I put honey on my toast so that is a very light brown.

In the evening I put marmite on my toast so that is a very dark brown.

Does this advice mean I can only have toast in the morning? :confused:
  • John_Adam1John_Adam1 Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they seriously think people are going to stop having well done toast because of this?

I doubt it. Nor do they actually care. Most likely they're just releasing any old rubbish piece of 'advice' in an attempt to try to justify their existence... ;-)
  • Aetius_MaralasAetius_Maralas Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see the raw numbers given government departments terrible record with little things such as the natural frequency of numbers and missaplying percentages.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    My pet "mis-use of statistics" hate is data mining to find an apparent connection but no follow ups with independent data sets to confirm if the connection is real or coincidence. That is even before we get on to whether a correlation is causal or not.
  • JDFJDF Posts: 4,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My rule is do not listen to the government.Eat whatever makes you happy.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    In the morning I put honey on my toast so that is a very light brown.

In the evening I put marmite on my toast so that is a very dark brown.

Does this advice mean I can only have toast in the morning? :confused:

No, what it means is that you should gnaw on a raw turnip in the morning and at night.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they are trying tell us what to do but rather are just making recommendations. Of course this campaign is for domestic cooking, so it could never be anything more than cautionary advice. The FSA have actually been under pressure from various groups to take action on the issue of acrylamide in food. So they have issued this advice, and that's all it is.

However, there is more to come that will still affect most of us. New legal obligations will come into force later this year which food businesses, (caterers, manufacturers, hospitality, etc) will need to follow. Acrylamide isn't something new, it's an issue that's been discussed for years worldwide, and of course at EU level. Towards the end of last year the EU decided not set maximum limits for acrylamide in the contaminants in food regulations. Instead, benchmark levels have been set which will be implemented via hygiene regulations. This places a legal obligation on industry to follow certain guidelines. Industry trade associations are currently preparing guidance which will take into account the new benchmark values. So whilst we can still make our patatoes and toast as brown as we like at home; from later on this year you may start to see a difference in how certain foods are cooked when eating out or when buying from the shops.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Goodness, how touchy people are.

No agency is compelling you to do anything. They've done research on burnt carbohydrate and reported their results. What should they have done?

It is completely down to you whether you heed the advice, as it is... well... just advice.

Stuff yourselves with char-grilled hovis and maris pipers; no-one will care.