Eastenders Complaining

Comments

• big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Is anyone voting Eastenders for best serial drama at the NTA?

Nope, I voted for Coronation Street.

EE does not deserve the award as imo it is far from 'the best'.
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Nope, I voted for Coronation Street.

EE does not deserve the award as imo it is far from 'the best'.

Do you remember in January 2010 when Coronation Street won? Do you think Eastenders should of won that year?
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Do you remember in January 2010 when Coronation Street won? Do you think Eastenders should of won that year?

Hm, probably. EE definitely had a better 2009 than Corrie, so yeah to be honest did really deserve the award.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,928
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    If all 5 left then yes it would, there are some good actors left, Jake, Jo and Nitin spring to mind but the characters are so poorly written for that they only really mix with their families.

You can pick up Dot, Ian and Phil and throw them with any other character and it works. You could do the same with Pat.

But you couldn't do that with Vanessa for instance, thats why she had to go. Same is happening with Shirley, they are clutching at straws by giving her connections so that they can convincingly have her stay in the show.

Shirley can work with any character they just wont bother writing for her, she is as good as a character as sharon is imo no better no worse.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence to you Mormon Girl but you say how everyone shouldn't be consistently on here moaning about EE when there are other things in the world to be moaning about and doing, yet you are quite notorious for always being in the soap forum talking about EE. Hell, you've messaged me a few times about it. Though I understand what you mean about the "EE is rubbish threads." There are a lot of them, but I always find them an entertaining read.

Saying that, I do agree that if a writer wants to remain sane they should keep well away from forums. I do get the impression EE can do no right sometimes. The problem is, as long as the soap keeps getting the ratings it gets, the big bosses at the BBC are not going to be bothered about fixing the issues.

It seems coming on here and moaning about EE is a hobby for a lot of people, hell myself included. There is the option of turning off, but people do care about this show and it holds nostalgia for them. EE has always been so very good at having a massive ratings grabbing storyline every now and again that knocks all the other soaps out of the water. When it's good, it's unmissable. Just think of all the storylines its done in the past.

The problem is that its greatest strength has become its greatest weakness. Something that was very highlighted under Santar was that characters would be sacrificed for the next big story. The older characters on the show would go from one storyline to the next with no development or lasting grace on themselves. The newer characters are one dimensional and as such are drastically limited as to what can be done with them.

These issues are fixable. I mean, I don't know what it's like to be an Exec Producer of the BBC's biggest show. The thing that I think irks the most people is that the problems evident in the episodes seem to be increasing. The show might as well be called "The Brannings" right now. Every single storyline either revolves around them or is linked to them in some way. EE is no stranger to this. I remember an article ten years ago where dismayed cast members were claiming "If you're not a Slater, see you later." Yet no family has ever dominated the square in such a manner as this lot. Let me be frank, though. I don't hate them, in fact I find them rather entertaining mostly. It's just they are fore front and centre so much that they just become so repetitive. Yes, Mormon Girl, Jo Joyner is a good actress, but the character of Tanya was just completely trashed the minute she slept with Sean and buried Max alive. She's never really recovered from that, and the cast and crew over at Elmstree do give over the impression of that being a massive "jump the shark" moment. Lauren is shoved down our throats continuously and she's third in the running for the most unlikable character ever to grace the Vic (Whitney and Kat being the 2 leading ladies here). The worst though is Sharon. They brought back Sharon. Sharon!!! The original leading lady. 10 years back she found a whole new family, saw her fiance die in an explosion, fell in love with her adopted brother and had to deal with her dad coming back from the dead. In 2012 she was involved in a ridiculous baby plot with Phil... and that's it.

The show is not as terrible as people would have you believe. It is easy to call the writers lazy, but come on. These guys are churning out 4 episodes a week! It's not the quality of the day to day episodes that is the issue for me, though there have been some stinkers. It's the characters, the plotting and the pacing. It's far from being the worst thing on the box, but there really is a feeling they could be doing better. Hell, we know they can. Expectations are so high because of the history the show has. I'm trying to be fair, but in all honesty I'm probably going to switch off over the next few weeks.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still need to vote, overall I've enjoyed Corrie more the domestic violence SL has been brilliant, well until they ruined it with the cringey affair. Natalie (Kirsty) and Alan (Tyrone) deserve to win an award they've been brilliant in this SL especially Kirsty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Hm, probably. EE definitely had a better 2009 than Corrie, so yeah to be honest did really deserve the award.

Yep and I thought it was a shock when Coronation Street beat Eastenders a month before the 25th Anniversary and before the live show. I thought Eastenders had it in the bag then in 2010.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    I still need to vote, overall I've enjoyed Corrie more the domestic violence SL has been brilliant, well until they ruined it with the cringey affair. Natalie (Kirsty) and Alan (Tyrone) deserve to win an award they've been brilliant in this SL especially Kirsty.

I actually think the actor who plays Brendan Brady will beat Alan since this is the only time he can win an NTA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think the actor who plays Brendan Brady will beat Alan since this is the only time he can win an NTA

Your probably right, I don't mind if Emmett wins his an amazing actor, its sad to think soon they'll be no more Brendan Brady on HO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    No offence to you Mormon Girl but you say how everyone shouldn't be consistently on here moaning about EE when there are other things in the world to be moaning about and doing, yet you are quite notorious for always being in the soap forum talking about EE. Hell, you've messaged me a few times about it. Though I understand what you mean about the "EE is rubbish threads." There are a lot of them, but I always find them an entertaining read.

Saying that, I do agree that if a writer wants to remain sane they should keep well away from forums. I do get the impression EE can do no right sometimes. The problem is, as long as the soap keeps getting the ratings it gets, the big bosses at the BBC are not going to be bothered about fixing the issues.

It seems coming on here and moaning about EE is a hobby for a lot of people, hell myself included. There is the option of turning off, but people do care about this show and it holds nostalgia for them. EE has always been so very good at having a massive ratings grabbing storyline every now and again that knocks all the other soaps out of the water. When it's good, it's unmissable. Just think of all the storylines its done in the past.

The problem is that its greatest strength has become its greatest weakness. Something that was very highlighted under Santar was that characters would be sacrificed for the next big story. The older characters on the show would go from one storyline to the next with no development or lasting grace on themselves. The newer characters are one dimensional and as such are drastically limited as to what can be done with them.

These issues are fixable. I mean, I don't know what it's like to be an Exec Producer of the BBC's biggest show. The thing that I think irks the most people is that the problems evident in the episodes seem to be increasing. The show might as well be called "The Brannings" right now. Every single storyline either revolves around them or is linked to them in some way. EE is no stranger to this. I remember an article ten years ago where dismayed cast members were claiming "If you're not a Slater, see you later." Yet no family has ever dominated the square in such a manner as this lot. Let me be frank, though. I don't hate them, in fact I find them rather entertaining mostly. It's just they are fore front and centre so much that they just become so repetitive. Yes, Mormon Girl, Jo Joyner is a good actress, but the character of Tanya was just completely trashed the minute she slept with Sean and buried Max alive. She's never really recovered from that, and the cast and crew over at Elmstree do give over the impression of that being a massive "jump the shark" moment. Lauren is shoved down our throats continuously and she's third in the running for the most unlikable character ever to grace the Vic (Whitney and Kat being the 2 leading ladies here). The worst though is Sharon. They brought back Sharon. Sharon!!! The original leading lady. 10 years back she found a whole new family, saw her fiance die in an explosion, fell in love with her adopted brother and had to deal with her dad coming back from the dead. In 2012 she was involved in a ridiculous baby plot with Phil... and that's it.

The show is not as terrible as people would have you believe. It is easy to call the writers lazy, but come on. These guys are churning out 4 episodes a week! It's not the quality of the day to day episodes that is the issue for me, though there have been some stinkers. It's the characters, the plotting and the pacing. It's far from being the worst thing on the box, but there really is a feeling they could be doing better. Hell, we know they can. Expectations are so high because of the history the show has. I'm trying to be fair, but in all honesty I'm probably going to switch off over the next few weeks.

Well maybe we should see how things go until summer things might be better then and plus Janine is back in March and there are a couple of Medical issues coming up and the Bianca, Ava and Dexter storyline and next weeks episodes sound good and plus we can see how Zainab exits and how Tanya leaves and why the men beat up Max.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your probably right, I don't mind if Emmett wins his an amazing actor, its sad to think soon they'll be no more Brendan Brady on HO.

And Alan is not leaving Coronation Street so I think it might be Emmett who just nicks it and plus alot of Hollyoaks fans said how good Emmett was during Hollyoaks later
  • ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is so true. Apart from the affair, it really has been a fantastic storyline with brilliant performances from Natalie and Alan. Jennie McAlpine has been great too, though I wish Fizz had been able to resist Tyrone for a few more weeks... we could have done without the affair :rolleyes: I think the episode that aired last month that just focused on the DV storyline was one of the best CS episodes from 2012.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ParoFlame wrote: »
    This is so true. Apart from the affair, it really has been a fantastic storyline with brilliant performances from Natalie and Alan. Jennie McAlpine has been great too, though I wish Fizz had been able to resist Tyrone for a few more weeks... we could have done without the affair :rolleyes: I think the episode that aired last month that just focused on the DV storyline was one of the best CS episodes from 2012.

I agree. That ep was brilliant, it should win best single ep at the BSA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Emmerdale live will win best single episode. Will you be voting for Emmett to win best serial drama performance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Emmerdale live will win best single episode. Will you be voting for Emmett to win best serial drama performance?
    I need to see who he's up against before I can decide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to see who he's up against before I can decide.

I know he is up against Adam Woodyatt, Alan Hansall and Michelle Keegan. I will be gutted if he doesn't win because I watched his performance in Hollyoaks Later on youtube and I thought he was amazing and it will be his last NTA since he is leaving and his only opportunity to win
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope the CS writers are planning to do more episodes like it. :)

I would be shocked if Emmerdale Live doesn't win that award.

I think Alan Halsall has been brilliant in the DV storyline and I'm so glad he's being nominated for awards this year but I've voted for Emmett because he was incredible in Hollyoaks Later. He's in a league of his own. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he is up against Adam Woodyatt, Alan Hansall and Michelle Keegan. I will be gutted if he doesn't win because I watched his performance in Hollyoaks Later on youtube and I thought he was amazing and it will be his last NTA since he is leaving and his only opportunity to win

Yes, he was brilliant in HO Later, Adam and Alan have also done brilliant performances but I'll probably vote Emmett since this is his last NTA to win.
    Why is Michelle Keegan nominated, she's an ok actress but I've never seen a dramatic performance she mostly just shouts with her croaky voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he was brilliant in HO Later, Adam and Alan have also done brilliant performances but I'll probably vote Emmett since this is his last NTA to win.
    Why is Michelle Keegan nominated, she's an ok actress but I've never seen a dramatic performance she mostly just shouts with her croaky voice.

I agree. I think she is a good actress but personally I would like to have seen someone like Danielle Harold nominated instead. She had so many dramatic performances last year with the birth scenes, then when social services took Lexi off her.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to know what billy did with all the post :(:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I think she is a good actress but personally I would like to have seen someone like Danielle Harold nominated instead. She had so many dramatic performances last year with the birth scenes, then when social services took Lexi off her.

I agree, Danielle was really good in those scenes, the birth scenes was when I started to realise she's a good actress before that I didnt rate her or like her character.
    Is Natalie ( Kirsty CS) nominated ?
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    It depends how long bad patchs go on for. This one has arguably been going since the end of 2010 - the baby swap controversy and the storyline changes that resulted from it hit the show hard. People were willing to give it time to recover but that was nearly 2 years ago.

Of course if you like the heavily featured characters then you're not going to mind so much but there is no den ying that the Brannings now dominate and a lot of viewers don't like.

Constructive criticism can be a way of helping storyliners and believe me they do appreciate it provided it doesn't become personal or nasty. It's better than people saying nothing and just switching off. Low ratings get shows cancelled and storyliners and producers would rather know a storyline is going badly and change it than risk losing millions of viewers and having their shows cancelled.

The OP asks how you'd feel if you were the EP. Well, sometimes hurt but most people get that get into the Entertainment industry are fairly thick skinned and have to learn to deal with negative critical reaction and bad reviews. They are also pragmatic enough to know that you can't please all of the people all of the time so look at the Audience's view as a whole. If they disagree with us, the Audience and want to continue with a character, story etc, they will.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

I voted for him, too, and I don't even watch HO! :D But any time it's on, and he's on, he's great. Very hard to choose between him and Alan Halsal, but it's his last chance to win one and now that Alan has shown that he can actually act, hopefully he'll get another juicy storyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, Danielle was really good in those scenes, the birth scenes was when I started to realise she's a good actress before that I didnt rate her or like her character.
    Is Natalie ( Kirsty CS) nominated ?

Neither did I :o

Natalie is up for Best Newcomer, (which I find slightly confusing because she won a BSA for Best Newcomer last year) but I think it would be a travesty if she doesn't win that NTA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither did I :o

Natalie is up for Best Newcomer, (which I find slightly confusing because she won a BSA for Best Newcomer last year) but I think it would be a travesty if she doesn't win that NTA.

Thanks. I voted for Emmett, Kirsty and Corrie in the soap related category.