How do I limit when the router/modem is active and can be used

Comments

• FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    How are they supose to know when they have reach a limit?

Wow talk about on youre high hourse.

As I said it's about respect. If you're downloading a film then you get an idea how big the download is. The child should ask permission first in any event so the parent can decide. If they are teenagers the they should be contributing to the bills in any event, that's how you learn the value of money.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »

Seriously if I had young kids today I would be alarmed. When I was growing up my parents couldn't keep me in.

Yes the same here but that was a long time ago, no computers, mobile phones or colour TV and it was probably safer to be out all day (depending where you lived) than it is now.
    If they are teenagers the they should be contributing to the bills in any event, that's how you learn the value of money.

The two left here and one that has moved out (Sky Go) pay for Sky TV, they like football.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Whatever happened to going to the Zoo, the local park, museums, playing board games walks, etc. etc. Just a thought.
    There you go making judgements....Tut Tut!
    As you have set yourself up as the moral guardian of parenting, despite not knowing all of the facts, answering this would be a waste of time.....:rolleyes:
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well with all the reports about overweight unfit children, the amount of time they spend in front of a screen and the dire warnings about their future health then maybe that allowance needs a further trim?

Seriously if I had young kids today I would be alarmed. When I was growing up my parents couldn't keep me in.

Its not about spending loads of time in front of the tv, its as its already been pointed out.

Its a different lifestyle, whilst we are out and about doing things getting some fresh air etc, when we return home, find something we want to watch, its done via the likes of on demand or iplayer etc, in HD.
    So its not about, ooh you used 100GB so you must spend 12hrs a day in foront of the tv. So its not necessarily releated.
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Its not about spending loads of time in front of the tv, its as its already been pointed out.

Its a different lifestyle, whilst we are out and about doing things getting some fresh air etc, when we return home, find something we want to watch, its done via the likes of on demand or iplayer etc, in HD.
    So its not about, ooh you used 100GB so you must spend 12hrs a day in foront of the tv. So its not necessarily releated.

My youngest daughter is involved with obesity and lack of fitness in young children. She tells me that she can't understand why the UK has this problem as almost every parent she interviews tells much the same story as yourself, a real mystery then!
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    There you go making judgements....Tut Tut!
    As you have set yourself up as the moral guardian of parenting, despite not knowing all of the facts, answering this would be a waste of time.....:rolleyes:

Yes, me and most health care professionals along with government agencies, why do they bother eh?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    If they are teenagers the they should be contributing to the bills in any event, that's how you learn the value of money.

Any more unsolicited advice?

Could you put all you rules in to a list for me?

Telling someone how they should raise their kids is breathtaking.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Any more unsolicited advice?

Could you put all you rules in to a list for me?

Telling someone how they should raise their kids is breathtaking.

Off topic. Take this arguement elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    Yes, me and most health care professionals along with government agencies, why do they bother eh?
    You bother out of ignorance obviously.....Who said that they were over weight? One is heavily into football and plays and trains with the local team, the other into dance and martial arts.
    You aren't getting it are you? You don't know what you are talking about.......Sorry, but you've lost all credibility.....:rolleyes:
    I fail to see what your opinion has to do with the original question??????
    Forum Member
    Yes the same here but that was a long time ago, no computers, mobile phones or colour TV and it was probably safer to be out all day (depending where you lived) than it is now.

I hear this argument a lot. However, we had the equivellant of our day i.e. radio, monochrome t.v. was proving popular, books and comics were also very popular, so the pressures were similar then to now.

Even child safety figures haven't changed that much. What has changed is the instant reporting of such events via Internet and rolling news coverage. Such reporting has served to heighten parents fear and paranoia.
    Forum Member
    You bother out of ignorance obviously.....Who said that they were over weight? One is heavily into football and plays and trains with the local team, the other into dance and martial arts.
    You aren't getting it are you? You don't know what you are talking about.......Sorry, but you've lost all credibility.....:rolleyes:
    I fail to see what your opinion has to do with the original question??????

I don't recall anyone said they were overweight, I said my daughter works in that field. Perhaps you should read what I've written before shooting from the hip.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Off topic. Take this arguement elsewhere.

Yes it's acceptable for you to talk to people like that.
    Forum Member
    I don't recall anyone said they were overweight, I said my daughter works in that field. Perhaps you should read what I've written before shooting from the hip.

I did read your claim, not that it means anything when it comes to your patronising. It is you that has decided to lecture on parenting, not your daughter. My brother is a heating engineer, but I wouldn't tell anyone how to fix their heating.....
    You made an assumption that the children I referred to were indoors all weekend and somehow didn't get out and about. This highlighted your lack of knowledge on the subject in hand, as you assumed it would take all that to download a mere 10Gb.
    Just keep posting and give further confirmation that you have no credibility left......
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Yes it's acceptable for you to talk to people like that.

I will keep posting in line with the Community Guidelines, thanks. You guys can keep insulting each other until the thread is closed if you wish.

People get really irritable at the weekends around here!
    Forum Member
    I did read your claim, not that it means anything when it comes to your patronising. It is you that has decided to lecture on parenting, not your daughter. My brother is a heating engineer, but I wouldn't tell anyone how to fix their heating.....
    You made an assumption that the children I referred to were indoors all weekend and somehow didn't get out and about. This highlighted your lack of knowledge on the subject in hand, as you assumed it would take all that to download a mere 10Gb.
    Just keep posting and give further confirmation that you have no credibility left......

I don't need to keep posting on the subject. The very fact you're so defensive speaks volumes.

Just for clarity, your original post said loads more besides than the a mere 10 gig. :confused:
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Faust, a word in your ear mate. You're making yourself look silly.

I also grew up with two channel tv (no new telly for us until 73, when we got BBC2) and v limited radio choice. Comics don't take long to read but I also used to be off up the rec on my bike every night to play football or just hang around with whoever was there.

Life's changed - there aren't as many recs or play parks for kids to congregate in, and whatever you might think the world has moved on so unless you can somehow enforce a complete change at societal level you have to accept that we are where we are, and kids have much more stuff going on their lives to make up for not being up the rec from 4 till 9 every night. A lot of that stuff going on involves data, whether it's 'social media', iPlayer, Sky On demand stuff, Youtube or just plain faffing around on the internet. It's quite easy as a family to get through about 100Gig a month and still be active. Both my kids play football, get around on bikes, are in the Scouts etc yet manage to consume a lot of data per month. I get through a fair bit without realising it sometimes by working from home but being online to work but mainly just by consuming medai - tv, newspapers, radio - online instead of the traditional methods. OH does too, partly through her evenings planning lessons for school, partly through doing scout leader type stuff and also through faffing around on FB etc. It's how life works these days. It's no good my kids jumping on their bikes to go to the nearest park as a) there won't be anyone else there and b) there are signs all over banning ball games, and football on a hard surface ain't so good as on grass. Despite that there isn't an ounce of fat on either of them, which amazes me considering how much they eat.

Move on. The rest of the worldl has, and pretending that life in the 2nd decade of the 21st century should be the same as it was 50 years ago isn't going win you many arguments - see responses above.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Who woke Faust up? It's been a while since we've been subjected to his ramblings.
    Forum Member
    I don't need to keep posting on the subject. The very fact you're so defensive speaks volumes.

Just for clarity, your original post said loads more besides than the a mere 10 gig. :confused:

Just for real clarity.....It's not being defensive as I have nothing to defend. You on the other hand have been lecturing everyone and are continuing to make the same generalisations based on nothing but your own self importance.
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Faust, a word in your ear mate. You're making yourself look silly.

I also grew up with two channel tv (no new telly for us until 73, when we got BBC2) and v limited radio choice. Comics don't take long to read but I also used to be off up the rec on my bike every night to play football or just hang around with whoever was there.

Life's changed - there aren't as many recs or play parks for kids to congregate in, and whatever you might think the world has moved on so unless you can somehow enforce a complete change at societal level you have to accept that we are where we are, and kids have much more stuff going on their lives to make up for not being up the rec from 4 till 9 every night. A lot of that stuff going on involves data, whether it's 'social media', iPlayer, Sky On demand stuff, Youtube or just plain faffing around on the internet. It's quite easy as a family to get through about 100Gig a month and still be active. Both my kids play football, get around on bikes, are in the Scouts etc yet manage to consume a lot of data per month. I get through a fair bit without realising it sometimes by working from home but being online to work but mainly just by consuming medai - tv, newspapers, radio - online instead of the traditional methods. OH does too, partly through her evenings planning lessons for school, partly through doing scout leader type stuff and also through faffing around on FB etc. It's how life works these days. It's no good my kids jumping on their bikes to go to the nearest park as a) there won't be anyone else there and b) there are signs all over banning ball games, and football on a hard surface ain't so good as on grass. Despite that there isn't an ounce of fat on either of them, which amazes me considering how much they eat.

Move on. The rest of the worldl has, and pretending that life in the 2nd decade of the 21st century should be the same as it was 50 years ago isn't going win you many arguments - see responses above.

And yet when we visit our place in France we see life how it used to be in the UK, kids playing out all the time, parents on mass out enjoying time with their children. How sad we appear to have adopted the American social model rather than the European. I know which I'd rather see.
    Forum Member
    Just for real clarity.....It's not being defensive as I have nothing to defend. You on the other hand have been lecturing everyone and are continuing to make the same generalisations based on nothing but your own self importance.

And yet that is not how you come across?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Who woke Faust up? It's been a while since we've been subjected to his ramblings.
    Special bit of software that alerts him to threads of this sort so he can lecture people on their alleged parental failings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Jeez-a-lou, I don't think I use that much in a year. There is life outside your front door you know. :rolleyes:

Streaming three or four HD movies a month, easily 7-10Gb depending on factors such as length, resolution etc.

Updates for games can be a gig or more sometimes.

PS3 OS updates can be a couple of gig.

Updates to apps such as Vidzone can be bloody huge.

HD music videos on YouTube can be large too.

Add in another computer as many people have more than one and that can soon add up.

And for your information I have a perfectly decent life outside you know.

Now have your condescending rolleyes smiley back. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Special bit of software that alerts him to threads of this sort so he can lecture people on their alleged parental failings.

Do you really think such comments bother me? I draw comfort from the fact that governments, scientists and healthcare professionals across the world, not just the UK are voicing similar concerns.

The present generation of children are likely to be the first in history that may well die before their parents and your sarcastic comments is your only response - really?

I've spent a lot of my working life involved in public speaking and have had to deal with much worse from various audiences over the years, so bring it on.
    Forum Member
    And yet that is not how you come across?
    :yawn::yawn::yawn:
    I've spent a lot of my working life involved in public speaking and have had to deal with much worse from various audiences over the years, so bring it on.
    There is probably a reason for that.......:rolleyes:
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have changed youre defence to quoting...
    Do you really think such comments bother me? I draw comfort from the fact that governments, scientists and healthcare professionals across the world, not just the UK are voicing similar concerns.

The present generation of children are likely to be the first in history that may well die before their parents and your sarcastic comments is your only response - really?

People arent arguing that, but you just keep repeating it.

Youre second response in the thread implied, people with large monthly downloads didnt have a life..
    Jeez-a-lou, I don't think I use that much in a year. There is life outside your front door you know. :rolleyes:

Several people have told you its possible to have a active life, and a large monthly download.
This discussion has been closed.