Smoked everything nowadays

2»

Comments

• Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Is this the pitiful UK impersonation of pulled pork from the US?

It's like barbecue sauces, the stuff in the UK has no right even being associated with barbecues.

I've had pulled pork in the US, it is delicious the crap you get here isn't even proper pork.

It's like the major point of this thread, smoked food from retailers or restaurants is lousy and I can understand people getting frustrated with the idea. But home hot smoked food is delicious and can turn a boring piece of meat or fish into a burst of flavour in each mouthful.

Not sure. I don't eat it so I've got no way of appraising its authenticity.
    But everywhere you go you've got posters say pulled pork, every shop and restaurant bursting at the seams with things saying salted caramel.
    I was commenting on their ubiquitousness rather than their quality
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    Not sure. I don't eat it so I've got no way of appraising its authenticity.
    But everywhere you go you've got posters say pulled pork, every shop and restaurant bursting at the seams with things saying salted caramel.
    I was commenting on their ubiquitousness rather than their quality

Which suggests to me it's cheap rubbish. Don't touch it, not ever, if no one does then maybe they'll get the hint and move on to another way of ripping off the unsuspecting members of the public.
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which suggests to me it's cheap rubbish. Don't touch it, not ever, if no one does then maybe they'll get the hint and move on to another way of ripping off the unsuspecting members of the public.

Don't worry, I wont ;-)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,902
    Forum Member
    Is this the pitiful UK impersonation of pulled pork from the US?

It's like barbecue sauces, the stuff in the UK has no right even being associated with barbecues.

I've had pulled pork in the US, it is delicious the crap you get here isn't even proper pork.

It's like the major point of this thread, smoked food from retailers or restaurants is lousy and I can understand people getting frustrated with the idea. But home hot smoked food is delicious and can turn a boring piece of meat or fish into a burst of flavour in each mouthful.

Depends where you get it from. I've had great pulled pork in this country, although I agree that the stuff served up in pub chains and the like is a pretty poor imitation.

I make my own quite a lot, it's so easy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends where you get it from. I've had great pulled pork in this country, although I agree that the stuff served up in pub chains and the like is a pretty poor imitation.

I make my own quite a lot, it's so easy.

I'm the same with hot smoked meat and fish, once you do it yourself you'll never go for anything you can buy in supermarkets or in a restaurant.

And likewise it is dead easy once you get the wood chips.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to dig up this thread again, but I read an interesting way of describing commercially smoked food, the only way it is smoked is it has been coated with a paste made from the tar that collects on the lid of a barbecue. Probably not true, but a fair desciption.
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,765
    Forum Member
    I love smoked salmon and smoked haddock but I honestly can't tell the difference between smoked and unsmoked bacon.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,902
    Forum Member
    Sorry to dig up this thread again, but I read an interesting way of describing commercially smoked food, the only way it is smoked is it has been coated with a paste made from the tar that collects on the lid of a barbecue. Probably not true, but a fair desciption.

Liquid smoke is a thing so you might not be far off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    I love smoked salmon and smoked haddock but I honestly can't tell the difference between smoked and unsmoked bacon.

Don't start me on bacon, I've just started batch 4, standard cure, and yesterday batch 5, maple sugar cure. I've been curing my own bacon since October the first three batches are brilliant and the savings you make startled me.

I am going to cold smoke one batch in the near future.

I'm now looking at using different salts to use in the curing process and altering the proportions of salt/sugar. Even the standard cure varies between dark and light sugar and I find weighting the mix to be more sugar in the latter days stops any 'salt' flavour in the bacon.

I've been amazed at how easy it is and having stopped eating supermarket bacon because it was so heavily salted and stopped buying 'quality' bacon because of the cost, About £20.00 a kilo. I am just delighted to be eating bacon regular again