Fleur its lady marmalade not lady MAR MA LARD

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
just saying.

although I think her, only the young and stereo kicks (although in general I hate stereo kicks) were the only 3 good acts tonight.

Comments

• clara_sclara_s Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    That's the French pronounciation used in every version of this song...
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They pronounce it that way in the original. :)
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you heard the song before...? It is "mar-ma-lard".
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    clara_s wrote: »
    That's the French pronounciation used in every version of this song...

I thought that too, I was watching the original version performance last night on BBC4 and they pronounced it that way. I dont think 'marmalard' means anything though :confused:
  • sorrellsorrell Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering whether anyone will agree with me here - but so far Fleur has been pretty "meh"!
    However, I don't think it's her fault. What Mel B said about cheating was out of order BUT I've yet to see a performance from her that really showcases her singing talent, and I don't mean rapping!
    Ballads - yeah I know, but hell would I love to hear Fleur singing a blockbuster ballad - for me she's getting lost behind all the backing tracks, and the fancy props and production. She looks stunning so for the love of God - give the girl a chance of sounding stunning too. From what I've heard - she can sing, but she's coming across as no more than a backing singer! She deserves better imo.
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrell wrote: »
    I'm wondering whether anyone will agree with me here - but so far Fleur has been pretty "meh"!
    However, I don't think it's her fault. What Mel B said about cheating was out of order BUT I've yet to see a performance from her that really showcases her singing talent, and I don't mean rapping!
    Ballads - yeah I know, but hell would I love to hear Fleur singing a blockbuster ballad - for me she's getting lost behind all the backing tracks, and the fancy props and production. She looks stunning so for the love of God - give the girl a chance of sounding stunning too. From what I've heard - she can sing, but she's coming across as no more than a backing singer! She deserves better imo.
    I disagree - the 'park and bark' thing is being well taken care of by the only 2 other female acts in the competition (OTY excluded as they're a mixed sex group). Lauren and Lola stand and wail ballads, with varying degrees of ability, every week. Fleur is amply demonstrating that she can do what they can't - and TBH, most of the guys in the competition couldn't even attempt what she does in terms of combining singing with great choreography - and walking down off a dais in time to music, and grinding on some semi-naked backing dancers doesn't count (Paul and Stevie!).

I think she'll give ballads a go - but only when the other girls are forced to go uptempo, and she can show the gap in overall ability. I have no doubt that she could sing Mariah or Whitney - I just suspect she isn't interested in becoming that kind of competitor, who sings overused ballads. I hope she's saving herself up for a great, left-field choice that will surprise everyone when she proves she can do it as well as the ones who stand and sing ballads, but they can't do the reverse!
  • MarakaerMarakaer Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ouch. An embarrassing opening post there...

As others have stated, that is how it is pronounced in every version of the song recorded and produced - it's the French pronunciation...
  • clara_sclara_s Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I thought that too, I was watching the original version performance last night on BBC4 and they pronounced it that way. I dont think 'marmalard' means anything though :confused:

Marmalard is the French pronounciation - marmalade is a French word anyway.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the french pronunciation of the English word.
    lol

Otherwise it would be Lady Confiture, I think :D.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How ignorant OP...
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She said the title wrong in her VT though
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara_s wrote: »
    Marmalard is the French pronounciation - marmalade is a French word anyway.
    Just the french pronunciation of the English word.
    lol

Otherwise it would be Lady Confiture, I think :D.

Actually it's Portugese originally. I only know this because it was a question on The Chase recently :p

From wikipedia:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "marmalade" appeared in the English language in 1480, borrowed from French marmelade which, in turn, came from the Galician-Portuguese marmelada. According to José Pedro Machado’s Dicionário Etimológico da Língua Portuguesa,[4] the oldest known document where this Portuguese word is to be found is Gil Vicente’s play Comédia de Rubena, written in 1521:

Temos tanta marmelada
    Que minha mãe vai me dar um pouco[5]
  • LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always baffles me how they use the French pronunciation for Marmalade but not for Moulin Rouge. Moulin should be pronounced "Moola" not "Moolon". I'd understand if they pronounced it "Moolin" but have no idea where "on" came from!
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was her vocal the best? Nope. Having said that, she was damn good, even without the added bonus of amazing stage skills and dancing ability .

Her voice has character, is solid, and is good enough that,when paired with her massive all round talent and skill, makes her one of the best acts this season,perfect enunciation or not.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    Layzeegoat wrote: »
    It always baffles me how they use the French pronunciation for Marmalade but not for Moulin Rouge. Moulin should be pronounced "Moola" not "Moolon". I'd understand if they pronounced it "Moolin" but have no idea where "on" came from!

This sounds like Moo-lon or Moo-lawn to me:

http://www.forvo.com/word/moulin/
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me thinks the OP is just trying ti find any fault that they can about Fleur, who is the outstanding act on the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thoroughly entertained by her version of Mardy Ladyboy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Was this a terrible joke gone wrong?