Is it over for OTY?

124»

Comments

• RichwoodRichwood Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to like them but their singing on the show has been poor and tonight's sing off was horrible, as Simon said. Actually I don't think their voices are good enough, certainly not in the same league as Andrea and Paul, to name but two. I think some people, the producers, Simon and indeed myself, would like them to be the new Bucks Fizz or Steps but their voices aren't cutting the mustard. Maybe Louis should try to find them songs that disguise their vocal limitations.
  • od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    I think Louis is f**king them up. There stuff pre X-Factor and when they had an input (audition, arena etc) was great plus the Monster Mash vid just shows they are ready.

They wouldn't be the first. All the hard work these people put in only to get 'mentored' by that blithering idiot.
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    It's so frustrating to watch them on the show, having seen that they actually can sing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeELnXY1vK8) just not delivering.
  • hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    Oh come on, it's got nothing to do with Louis. None of the mentors really have anything to do with their acts apart from the staged and rehearsed nano-second interaction we get to see. Only the Young are just shite. I mean really, they're just awful. Really dreadful. Everything from their name to their looks, their stage presence, their singing. I just can't believe they even made it this far. Maybe the producers were thinking Glee factor (yawn) but they were wrong.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aliyah101 wrote: »
    You just said they were ropey in both weeks but now you can't remember the performance...I say youtube it, simples. They were fine.

Also there's a lot more garbage from the dull male acts that is way more forgettable, but each to their own i guess.

BiB - I just did and guess what....

You're actually right, they were much better. I suppose that goes to demonstrate the cliche of 'You're only as good as your last performance'.

I still fail to see what makes them so much more exciting than the 'dull male singers', though. And they've got serious problems in the competition if they keep putting in performances of the calibre of this week and last. Even if they come back next week and really impress they've still got to live down that sing off performance which is about the worst I think I can remember. They've got their work cut out for sure.
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All four of them have seemed extremely nervous the past two weeks. One thing to note is this week the song was apparently changed at the very last minute.. and the week preceding they had a song which they did not like (Nor would most like) I have seen enough of them to suggest they could go far. But they really need to get it together now... go back to what we saw before and lose those nerves.

This week they seemed to just want to get it over and done with rather than rising to meet the challenge.

If they do that again next week they are in serious trouble as Stereokicks appear to have finally realised it takes hard work to make a good performance.

24 hours practice is not going to cut it... you need at least 3 days of solid rehearsal to do anything decent.
  • Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of problems with this group.

Not serious enough music for long term adult fans.

Not catchy enough for fly by night fans.

Their voices don`t really match in a lot of the harmonies.

Teeny market wont buy as they buy for the boys and they get jelly of those 3 girls being close.

They just dont hit you in the face and make you go wow that was good - im gonna buy it on itunes.

Im struggling to see a niche for them.

They would need a really great songwriter to stand any chance in hell of being successful for any amount of time (even though of course studio tracks sound a million times better and they could have a one off catchy hit)

i think their name is wrong as well.
  • Bails HolyGrailBails HolyGrail Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Everything is relative,and in such an underpar year quality wise,they are no worse than the majority of acts.It could be argued on Saturday night that OTY,Jake,Lola,Stevi,Jay,Jack,Ben and Lauren all performed either poorly,or below the standards they had previously set.Throw in OTY performing in the SCD overlap,and it was no real surprise they failed to escape B2.

More worrying was the sing off performance.Parrisa (the dark haired girl) was much better than the previous evening,however the occasion seemed to get to Charlie (the dark haired lad) and he looked very uncomfortable when singing,and seemed to try too hard.Betsy (the blonde haired girl) has a very nasally/squeaky voice and is never going to appeal to the masses.

Their song choices so far have been awful.They need to try to incorporate the guitars into their performance to show some musicality to the audience,and pick a song which they can harmonise better to.Their stock after the weekend is at an altime low,and unless Halloween week shows some improvement they are toast (they could "bounce " this week though tbf)

Hopefully the production team get behind them this week to produce a better staged/sung Saturday performance,as they did with Stereo Kicks after their B2.Major doubts about that though,as SK seem to be favoured,and OTY may be the sacrificial lambs.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said, their cover of Counting Stars on Youtube was fantastic
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should sing a song by their favourite band.

This would be good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yle1YEjmGf0
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are way too cheesy and dated.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Louis is f**king them up. There stuff pre X-Factor and when they had an input (audition, arena etc) was great plus the Monster Mash vid just shows they are ready.

Louis is a useless mentor and the only acts of his that have done well have been despite of him not because of him. He tried to turn JLS from an r&b boyband into the black Westlife and Shayne Ward only came alive when Simon started suggesting songs for him.

Louis Walsh can only do-
    - Bland ballads a la Westlife
    - Camp glitterball 70's disco karaoke
    - Oddballs and novelty acts

Take an act with any character or edge and he'll turn them into vanilla Westlife clones before you can say 'stand up on the key change'
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    No I think they will do well with the rebound vote and should get a better pimp slot next week
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were very good right through the audition stages and, I thought, on the first show. However the last two weeks have been poor, even apparently after switching songs. Come on Eileen is a duff song really and this Boom Clap number came across as a solo singer number not a group song. And as for that dreadful ABBA arrangement the less said the better.

What they should have done this week was Help!, the title song from a film and just perfect for their voices.

Next week they'll doubtless do The Monster Mash which we know is exceptional. However they'll have to knock a great chunk out of it to fit with X Factors very mean time allowance.

Hopefully the shock of bottom two will have the right effect as quite frankly they only have themselves to blame.

I notice that some people say they're cheesy or dated or suchlike. This in a way is what I like about them. They do look good, apart from Charlies silly hairstyle, and for us male viewers Betsy seems to be getting more attractive by the week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    No, it's not over for them.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's telling that their VT's don't let us get to know each member individually. I doubt more than about 5% of the viewers could tell your each of their names.
    Forum Member
    It's telling that their VT's don't let us get to know each member individually. I doubt more than about 5% of the viewers could tell your each of their names.

That's kind of what I like, normally they try and do that in the VT's to get us to like a group but I find with OTY they all have a different look so its easy to tell them all apart. Do I need to know their names, not really
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of problems with them this week.

Firstly - Louis has no input. Don't blame him. The producers have no plan for them so there's no coherance in their performaces. These last minute song switches and unhappiness with song choices will all be influenced, because they know it won't do them any good.

This week, we had one of them being stroppy about a song choice, the dark haired lad. He looked downbeat all throughout the performance. It made them look ungrateful for the opportunity and did them no favours.
    Add to that, the song choice wasn't great. "Boom Clap" goes nowhere, it has no real message, it's awkward and midtempo and that staging looked jarring and confusing. They were also under the Strictly crossover. They were always going to be bottom two.
    Forum Member
    Yep I think they will come out with a great week this week and get the rebound votes too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have Eurovision written all over them.
  • Zeus555Zeus555 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Cowell recently said that he's hoping to find the 'New Steps' on the current
    'The X Factor'. He added, 'But with better people'.

I think that's why Only The Young are getting more chances than they deserve.

It has already been revealed that Simon has the final say on what Songs the Acts
    sing. He even has the power to over-ride the other Judges choices of songs for the
    Acts that they are mentoring. It does not matter what Mel, Louis, & Cheryl tell their
    Acts to sing. If Simon does not like that song, he picks what he wants them to sing.

Having been an ABBA Fan for Decades, I can honestly say that Only The Young's
    cover of 'The Winner Takes It All' is the worst ABBA cover that I've ever heard.

Only The Young are not even good enough to be a 3rd rate Steps! They are crap!