John Hurt's Doctor

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
Forum Member
So at the end of "The Name of The Doctor" John Hurt's Doctor said
'What I did, I did without choice, In the name of peace and sanity'
to which Matt Smiths Doctor replied
'But not in the Name of The Doctor'

This face of "The Doctor" has been hidden away so I have a theory that John Hurt wasn't actually called the Doctor.

I would say it had something to do with the 'Time War'. As he killed both the Daleks and The Time Lords he did not want the guilt on the name "The Doctor" but changed it when he Time Locked the War to "The Silence"
The Silence of the Daleks and the Time Lords.

Comments

• Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are only two people who know his real name Clara and River. Clara read it in the book "history of the time war" when she wandered into the tardis library JTTCOTT (Great idea leave your real name where anyone with basic literacy skills can find it!). River found out durring her marriage but sadly at present is either back in her virtual library as a data ghost or has finally faded into the ether. Will be interested to see how Clara reatcs to seeing the doctors dark side and past like that. Rivers reaction to "John Smith " would have made interesting viewing too. "I know what you did because you did it to me ! .They raised me to kill you but I love you a lot more then I could ever hate you but that doesn't mean it is easy".
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JTTCOTT
    ¿Qué?
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH MY GOD. If he was named the silence, the order/religion (not the race) would have started all because of John Hurt's Doctor. The arc could finish perfectly in 50th. Does anyone else think John Hurt will not be the antagonist in the special?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus it would help with the 'Silence will fall' story arc!
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 and 11 can't kill him. Whatever he did he is still part of them. Both their pasts were affected by him. Maybe instead they can somehow neutralise him. Doctor is scary when he goes "dark"!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 and 11 can't kill him. Whatever he did he is still part of them. Both their pasts were affected by him. Maybe instead they can somehow neutralise him. Doctor is scary when he goes "dark"!.

I wonder how 10 and 11 will even meet Hurt's Doctor. Will the story be set in their past or will the Hurt Doctor somehow get out of the Doctor's time stream together with 11 and Clara (since they still were inside last time we saw them)?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how 10 and 11 will even meet Hurt's Doctor. Will the story be set in their past or will the Hurt Doctor somehow get out of the Doctor's time stream together with 11 and Clara (since they still were inside last time we saw them)?

Moffat will probably do that thing he likes to do and start the next episode a substantial amount of time after the cliffhanger, with the Doctor and Clara having already escaped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat will probably do that thing he likes to do and start the next episode a substantial amount of time after the cliffhanger, with the Doctor and Clara having already escaped.

Yeah, and, if we're lucky we'll get some wibbly wobbly flashbacky washbacky explanation.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member

Are we SURE he didn't train for Who by writing for Red Dwarf? :P
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    ¿Qué?

Journey to the Center of the Tardis.

What do I win? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Journey to the Center of the Tardis.

What do I win? ;)

Instead of a Gold Star you can have a White Point Star
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I think John is going to cease to exist after this special, even if the future doctors forgive themselves as him, he still has to go.......
    Its already been said that no renumbering will happen etc.
    Also if John were to be instated as another Doctor consider all the changes needed, not just to the series, wikis, and especially merchandise such as
    http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/competition-win-new-zealand-mint-doctor-who-coins/
    which have just been minted, and the stamps etc.
    There is only one way he could stay, if he was the very old 8th doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    ----- wrote: »
    I think John is going to cease to exist after this special, even if the future doctors forgive themselves as him, he still has to go.......
    Its already been said that no renumbering will happen etc.
    Also if John were to be instated as another Doctor consider all the changes needed, not just to the series, wikis, and especially merchandise such as
    http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/competition-win-new-zealand-mint-doctor-who-coins/
    which have just been minted, and the stamps etc.
    There is only one way he could stay, if he was the very old 8th doctor.

Another way of course is he could stay if he was simply a regeneration of the same man but without the name 'Doctor'. This wouldn't affect merchandising or anything at all really. This explanation has kinda been alluded to in story hasn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    very true, but what about this
    From The Day of the Doctor:

"You were The Doctor on the day it wasn't possible to get it right."

The Eleventh Doctor

"What we do today, we do not out of fear or hatred, but because there is no other way."

The Tenth Doctor

So 10/11 agree with John and even help press the button.......So doesn't that make John officially a Doctor. Or after they do whatever time rewinds ???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode will probably all end up hunky-dory, and Hurt will be absorbed into the Doctor.

This then could lead to Capaldi's Doctor being old, slightly scruffy and bad tempered.
  • SladenSladen Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    The episode will probably all end up hunky-dory, and Hurt will be absorbed into the Doctor.

This then could lead to Capaldi's Doctor being old, slightly scruffy and bad tempered.

Or old and tired as he is on his last incarnation, without enough energy left to regenerate...
  • LeslieGruffordLeslieGrufford Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    What about the shocking story in this Friday's Sunday Sport that the actor John Hurt turns out to be Paul McGann in a wig in his best performance yet!