Neutering a dog

oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Our dog is coming up to 6 months so we are thinking about neutering. I am interested to know what people think is the right age to do it, how long it takes to recover from the operation and a rough idea how much it will cost. He is a lab cross and the vet nurse reckons he won't get much past 25kg if that makes any difference to the age.
Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Has your vet given any reason why you should neuter so early? Many have a tendency to neuter automatically at 6 months.

Unless there is a very good reason for it, it's not a bad idea to allow them to reach maturity before neutering.

There are a number of longer term health risks associated with neutering males such as osteosarcoma.

Can't give you any advice on costs etc - obviously, the longer you wait, the higher the cost would be because of tmore GA needed for increased weight.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that's why I was asking as I wondered if it was a bit early. It was only when he went for his jabs that the vet mentioned getting him done at around six months we haven't seen the vet since only the nurse. I don't know what the benefits are to doing it early or waiting longer.
    Forum Member
    No that's why I was asking as I wondered if it was a bit early. It was only when he went for his jabs that the vet mentioned getting him done at around six months we haven't seen the vet since only the nurse. I don't know what the benefits are to doing it early or waiting longer.

So far, I've not had a dog neutered young or old, as my dogs are used for breeding / showing, however, being in that field, I also know one or two dog owners.

There are numerous benefits to having bitches neutered, but again after their first season.

There are fewer benefits to having a dog neutered and also some health risks, I will try and dig out some links for you.

====================

Obviously, the most obvious benefit is you are removing the risk of your dog mating and producing more unhealth tested puppies.

====================

Personally, if I had a dog who wasn't used for showing and / or breeding, I would have it neutered, but once it has reached maturty (your boy is a x lab, so somewhere between 12 and 18 months).

Unless of course you have a sex mad beast who is trying to hump anything and everything (dogs and often people) and can smell an in season bitch at 100 paces (increasing the risk of him wandering) - in those situations, the most sensible option is to neuter.

Your post has not indicated to me that your boy falls into this category, so do a bit of research and make an informed decision.

==================================

I do wish vets would look at dogs individually rather than this blanket 6 month spay so many of them seem to follow (personally I would never neuter a bitch until about 3 months after her first season which could be anything from 8 months up to 2 years).

===================================

In summary, I've got nothing against neutering, and think it is a sensible option for many - it's just when it is actually done I have an issue with.

Most of those people I know who have neutered early say they would never do it again.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only had 2 males both were hump monsters so we were very happy and relieved to neuter at 6 and 8 months. So were our girlies in fact I think they were even more relieved than us !
    Neither of them suffered any problems afterwards and it helped calm down those hormones.
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I have only had 2 males both were hump monsters so we were very happy and relieved to neuter at 6 and 8 months. So were our girlies in fact I think they were even more relieved than us !
    Neither of them suffered any problems afterwards and it helped calm down those hormones.

:D

You've described the exact circumstances which I mentioned above why someone would neuter a dog early.

One of my dog pups was very similar and indeed his owner had him neutered at about 7 months.

But if you are fortunate enough not to have a male like this, then do your research and make an informed decision ;)

Interestingly, in my house, it's the girls that do the humping :D Poor Moz boy doesn't know what's hit him sometimes :p
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replying, some food for thought there. He has only ever humped one toy that he has and only a few times. He is quite shy really but getting better. He's still abit nervous of new people. I think I will wait and see how he goes over the next few months and not just get him done right away at six months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    hope someone on this thread can help me i have a 3 year old malamute and heneutered 6 months ago but when we meet other dogs he plays ok for a while then he tries to hump them any advice would be appreciated
    Forum Member
    maree13 wrote: »
    hope someone on this thread can help me i have a 3 year old malamute and heneutered 6 months ago but when we meet other dogs he plays ok for a while then he tries to hump them any advice would be appreciated

It is because, I am reliably informed, neutered males give off a scent similar to in season bitches.

This is not uncommon - a friend of mind neutered one of her older pet boys as she thought she was bringing in a bitch in for showing and possibly breeding (she eventually ended up with a dog but that's another story) -

The neutering really upset the harmony between her eldest neutered bitch and the dog, and now they can't be alone together :(

==================

Unfortunately, these are the bits the vets don't tell you - and I know my friend wishes she had done more research into it beforehand now (particularly as she also has three entire boys she shows)

If was going to neuter any dog, it would be once they've reached maturity, and with a bitch not being shown, I wouldn't hesitate, just as I will have them neutered once their use in breeding is over - because there are health risks in leaving bitches entire.