Now TV and Sky Box Sets

Hi all,

Am I right in thinking, that if I buy the Now TV box with entertainment pass, I can use it to watch Sky box sets, without the need to increase my monthly subscription. (I am particularly wanting to catch up Mount Pleasant)

Thanks

Comments

• MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can, I now have Now TV Box and watched the first episode of Da Vinci's Demons which is a box set, although as far as I can recall there are only 8 episodes. I also watched all 8 episodes of The Smoke about the London Fire Service which was pretty good. The Entertainment Pass by the way costs £6.99 a month, and I got a three month free pass when I bought the box. I may not continue it though since I bought the box to watch an occasional football match which costs £6.99, or £10.99 for seven days for all the Sky Sports Channels.
  • soulboy22soulboy22 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    Yes you can, I now have Now TV Box and watched the first episode of Da Vinci's Demons which is a box set, although as far as I can recall there are only 8 episodes. I also watched all 8 episodes of The Smoke about the London Fire Service which was pretty good. The Entertainment Pass by the way costs £6.99 a month, and I got a three month free pass when I bought the box. I may not continue it though since I bought the box to watch an occasional football match which costs £6.99, or £10.99 for seven days for all the Sky Sports Channels.

Thanks, got it via PS4 in the end, very impressed!
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a bit misleading as I'm sure I saw somewhere saying over 250 boxsets. There certainly isn't that many available at once. They rotate them regularly so you have to watch them before they're removed. It is the best way to watch a show though, binge watch over a few weeks, and no adverts either.

One of the few ways of getting legitimate access to new episodes of Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and other new seasons that air on Sky with minimal delay from airing in the USA. Just got to keep an eye out for the earlier season(s) 'box set' if you need to catch up.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can I jump in here and ask -

how does payment work ? I mean I assume you get the 'free' channels for free , including their catch-ups right ? and if you wanna watch Atlantic you have to pay ? but how do they take payment ? This is Sky yes ?

I ask because so many people I know have had problems cancelling Sky packages , and having to phone up endlessly to cancel etc.

• ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can I jump in here and ask -

how does payment work ? I mean I assume you get the 'free' channels for free , including their catch-ups right ? and if you wanna watch Atlantic you have to pay ? but how do they take payment ? This is Sky yes ?

I ask because so many people I know have had problems cancelling Sky packages , and having to phone up endlessly to cancel etc.

Now TV is run by Sky, but it operates like a modern video-on-demand service like Netflix. This means you can cancel at any time, and without any obligation.

This part is real, and I've cancelled and restarted a few times. They don't even bother you once you cancel (although, they may offer you a really good deal that you may reconsider ;) )

To cancel, you don't need to contact them, you just go to your account page in the Now TV website, and select cancel. Simple as that. Your subscription will run to the end of the month and then stop.

You can still use all the FTA catch-up services without issue (BBC iPlayer, All 4, etc) and never pay anything more, but you can always jump back in to Now TV and cancel again when you like.

I know how bad Sky were (and maybe still are with their Sat service), but they actually got Now TV right in this regard.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Just wish they'd bring it to Fire TV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Currently Sainsburys are selling the Mk1 White Nowtv box with a 3 month entertainment pass at a reduced price of £12.50, Argos have same for £15.
    As the pass normally costs £6.99 per month its worth buying these just for the pass.
    You could discard the brand new unused white Nowtv box or give it someone for xmas.
    They can then create an account and get a 1 month trial for free as long as they cancel in the first month.
    Simples!
    Forum Member
    Currently Sainsburys are selling the Mk1 White Nowtv box with a 3 month entertainment pass at a reduced price of £12.50, Argos have same for £15.
    As the pass normally costs £6.99 per month its worth buying these just for the pass.
    You could discard the brand new unused white Nowtv box or give it someone for xmas.
    They can then create an account and get a 1 month trial for free as long as they cancel in the first month.
    Simples!

Is there a way of using the passes with NOW TV without having to use the box. For example I see the reduced boxes have 2 sky movies passes with them, which would be good for crimbo, could I add these to my now TV account and watch through my PS4?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    You can use the passes with any existing account, with any device that runs Nowtv.
    Forum Member
    You can have up to 4 boxes or devices registered to one account and watch any two of them sinultaneously, So one downstairs and one in the bedroom off the same pass watching a different show on each.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks ovbg .

another question - is there a way to record off a Nowtv box ?

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not legally, no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    Not legally, no.

. . . oh , would it be illegal ? I mean I record off everything else , it's for personal use , I'm not making money ,
    Forum Member
    . . . oh , would it be illegal ? I mean I record off everything else , it's for personal use , I'm not making money ,

I am also intrigued.....
  • Trainer99Trainer99 Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    To record NowTV, you would need a capture device / recorder.

The old white NowTV box has

HDMI out - which may or not be copy protected (I would guess not but I don't know for definite)

and

RCA (red, yellow, white) but the lead is not included in the box. http://help.nowtv.com/article/No-HDMI-port-NOW-TV-Box

The new black NowTV box only has HDMI out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trainer99 wrote: »

HDMI out - which may or not be copy protected (I would guess not but I don't know for definite)

and

RCA (red, yellow, white) but the lead is not included in the box. http://help.nowtv.com/article/No-HDMI-port-NOW-TV-Box

I've got the white box , but it doesn't have a RCA socket .

it just has a HDMI and another small socket with A/V marked on it , it's a small roundish socket which I don't recognise .

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trainer99 wrote: »

and

ah - I've just realised the cable you're talking about is in the link you give , it's a 1 pin to 3 pin cable , yes ? do you know what it's called ?

• arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    It is a bit misleading as I'm sure I saw somewhere saying over 250 boxsets. There certainly isn't that many available at once.
    603 "boxsets" right now. This number includes random one of Sky Arts Specials, and might have the Ross Kemp shows split in to a boxset per season, but it's still above the 250 they quote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having trouble with my Nowtv box when I watch bbc iplayer -

it plays the programs fine , no buffering , but when I press pause it takes 50 - 60 seconds to respond , then when I press play again it'll take another 50 seconds to respond and the iplayer display graphics remain on screen and won't disappear .

I don't have problems on the other players , 4OD etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White or Black Now TV Box?
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artesea wrote: »
    603 "boxsets" right now. This number includes random one of Sky Arts Specials, and might have the Ross Kemp shows split in to a boxset per season, but it's still above the 250 they quote.

Thanks, I sit corrected.

I presume you're the same person who lists them on the NowTV forum and has bothered to count them, unlike I when navigating around my NowTV interface.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/Entertainment-Available-Box-Sets/td-p/300513

Interesting to see the full list and which section in NowTV they can be found. Cheers for that. Will save a lot of thumb action wearing out the remote control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White or Black Now TV Box?

white .

the problem only started about a week ago , I've had it about a month .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    white .

the problem only started about a week ago , I've had it about a month .

I dusted off my white Now TV Box and gave it a go. At this stage I'm not seeing any major delay as you found, but perhaps this was the content I was testing. Can you name a programme that is especially slow.

All that said, the White Now TV Box is well known to be a bit sluggish as it is quite old technology. Was there any particular reason you didn't go for their latest (Black) model, as that was launched at the beginning of August and is much more horsepower?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dusted off my white Now TV Box and gave it a go. At this stage I'm not seeing any major delay as you found, but perhaps this was the content I was testing. Can you name a programme that is especially slow.

All that said, the White Now TV Box is well known to be a bit sluggish as it is quite old technology. Was there any particular reason you didn't go for their latest (Black) model, as that was launched at the beginning of August and is much more horsepower?

I've tried a load of shows in bbciplayer , same thing each time . as I say the program plays fine no buffering , but it then takes ages to respond to commands from the remote and gets stuck .

it was bought for me , it worked fine for a few weeks . could it be my modem ?

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried a load of shows in bbciplayer , same thing each time . as I say the program plays fine no buffering , but it then takes ages to respond to commands from the remote and gets stuck .

it was bought for me , it worked fine for a few weeks . could it be my modem ?

If it is not buffering no, it's unlikely to be an external problem.

See if you get the same results sitting right in front of the box. Perhaps the line-of-sight is a little blocked from the remote.

Try uninstalling the BBC iPlayer, and then reinstalling it. If that fails to make a difference, try a full factory reset.