Options

Phillip Hughes, cricketer

Comments

• Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Why is it being called a freak accident? Cricketers get hit on the head all the time. Didn't someone get one through the grill recently?

Yes, the difference being that Stuart Broad didn't die.

It's being called a freak accident because it hit him underneath his helmet rather than on it.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of the issue was that he was reported to have turned his back on the ball instead of ducking down, swaying or playing the ball. The design of helmets is that you are in a normal stance for them to be effective.
    If he had let the ball hit him in a normal position, he probably would have no more than a bad headache.

All in all tragic, but as reported, so rare that there are no need for changes.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    So if Andy Murray gets hit in the neck with a ball at 130mph we start covering up tennis players?

A footballer gets kicked in the neck in a game tonight do we start making them wear neck protectors?

Tennis balls are not the same as cricket balls.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps cricket helmets will have to be like firemens helmets with a piece down the neck.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    He was a left handed bat. If he had been batting right handed it wouldn't have hit the artery.

It was just an incredibly tragic, totally unpredictable accident.

I cannot bring to imagine how poor Sean Abbott must feel too. That poor man.

Awful, just awful and so so sad.

Rest easy Hughsey. X

Well said.

It is very sad news indeed - a freak tragedy that unfortunately could never have been predicted.

R.I.P.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Perhaps cricket helmets will have to be like firemens helmets with a piece down the neck.

Try batting for 6 hours in India wearing a fireman's helmet.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Try batting for 6 hours in India wearing a fireman's helmet.

People don't think do they, do they think cricketers batting just stand around and stay on the spot?
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ignorance of non-cricket fans on the RIP bandwagon commenting on the game is annoying.

A freak accident that has ended the life of someone who from all accounts was a nice man who loved his job. Thoughts are with his family and the bowler who must be devastated in all sorts of ways right now.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Cricket is a dangerous game not a fatal game, although the one can obviously, in exceptional circumstances, lead to the other.

I never enjoyed playing it at all. Both my father and brother played cricket at a local level for many years but the thought of facing a heavy ball being flung at me put me off completely. People got injured all the time, sometimes it was just minor stuff like a broken fingers, but I knew someone whose vision in one eye was permanently affected after being hit in the face by a cricket ball.

I preferred rounders over cricket.

A personal tragedy for everyone concerned though and very sad news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ignorance of non-cricket fans on the RIP bandwagon commenting on the game is annoying.

A freak accident that has ended the life of someone who from all accounts was a nice man who loved his job. Thoughts are with his family and the bowler who must be devastated in all sorts of ways right now.

I agree on all your points.

A very good post. :)
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    The neck was not previously considered to be vulnerable.
    petertard wrote: »
    But to be hit in the throat was not considered something that could lead to serious injury or death.

Not considered by who? It's blatantly obvious that being hit by a hard object in the neck at speed has the potential for serious injury or worse. Google 'Mike Coolbaugh' if you want an example from sport.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Am in agreement with these sentiments too. A freak accident in a sport with an almost non-existent fatality rate. Perhaps minor changes to helmets, but anything that makes visibility or movement worse puts a batsman in more danger (of what is a very small danger level).

If your looking for quick fixes, rule changes or bannings try other sports first. There must be around 100-150(?) competitors in each years Isle of Man TT, most years at least one of them will be dead by the end of the week.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ignorance of non-cricket fans on the RIP bandwagon commenting on the game is annoying....

I hardly think that discussing a tragic accident, and whether or not it could have been avoided, is annoying.

The consensus seems to be "not" because any changes to the protective gear would neither be practical nor, given the rarity of this type of accident, necessary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I hardly think that discussing a tragic accident, and whether or not it could have been avoided, is annoying.

The consensus seems to be "not" because any changes to the protective gear would neither be practical nor, given the rarity of this type of accident, necessary.

Cricket is a very technical sport. Most people can't stand it.

When people who know NOTHING about the game start preaching about it (because they don't watch it / don't know the laws etc etc) then it adds nothing to the debate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cricket is a very technical sport. Most people can't stand it.

When people who know NOTHING about the game start preaching about it (because they don't watch it / don't know the laws etc etc) then it adds nothing to the debate.

Test Match Special is one of the great pleasures in life.

And the one time you can actually experience the Voice of God as that man Boycott lays into some poor bugger's attitude or technique. :D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Should cricket be banned? :confused:
    No
    nanscombe wrote: »
    What a great shame but such a freak accident.

Our cricket helmets look like a derivative of a riding hat with a face guard.

A quick google of Baseball helmets seems to show ear protection at the side.

Since it is a similar game with similar risks maybe time for a rethink?
    I would not compare cricket with a game in which even fielders wear protective gloves.
    Do you not think that if it were possible and practical to protect the neck then it might have been done already? As I said earlier, you can't go out to bat in a suit of armour.

Well you can, but obviously you wouldn't be able to move.

Christ, up until the late-1970s they used to bat in cloth caps. Cricket balls were just as hard and the bowlers were just as quick.
    I never wore a helmet when I played and assumed that if the ball hit my head I would be seriously hurt. I used to play accordingly
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The experts view. This man knows what he is talking about.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel very sad over the whole tragedy and the poor lad who threw the ball. I know nothing about cricket but talking about banning stuff is silly. The focus should be on poor phillip and his family.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    hopefully he knew nothing about what was happening to him.

We can but hope so. It just doesn't even bare thinking about. 😞
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plenty of overnight cricket expert have sprung who know nothing about the game, never played it, never watched, yet pushing for the sport to be banned.

Waiting for the 1st online petition wanting ban fast bowling / bouncers

Don't give them ideas.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't follow cricket so I hadn't heard of him but an absolute freak accident which unfortunately ended in tragedy.

Thoughts with his family and also with Steve Abbott. I can see him beating himself up about it for the rest of his life although he's clearly not to blame here.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't follow cricket so I hadn't heard of him but an absolute freak accident which unfortunately ended in tragedy.

Thoughts with his family and also with Steve Abbott. I can see him beating himself up about it for the rest of his life although he's clearly not to blame here.

It said in the paper, they are extremely worried for steve's state of mind. It's a horrible tragedy but he completely blames himself, poor guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well that just made me cry 😢.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    aww this is really sad :(