Potty training puppy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I have an 11 week old puppy who I am currently litter training. She uses her tray for peeing a lot, and I've only been noticing 'excitement' wee.

The problem is that she is now using the other spots in the house for her poop :eek::o

How can I get her to use the tray for both peeing and poop? She used to use the tray for pooping too.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    You need to remove the smell from the area she is pooping in as any smell (to her nose not yours) that is left lingering will encourage her to pee or poop in the same area. You can use biological washing powder in hot water or buy a product from your vet or local pet shop to thoroughly remove the smell.

I've not really got any idea how to litter train a dog but I guess it cant be much different from training them to go outside. Take her to the litter tray once an hour and after meals, first thing and before bed and wait for her to do her thing. If she doesnt do it wait 20/30 mins and then take her again. Maybe you could crate her when you arent watching her as she would be unlikely to want to poop in her bedding area. But hey - shes only young and they get much better at holding it quite quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Have you a garden?

It isn't ideal in my opinion at east to expect a dog to toilet in a litter tray.

You need to clean any accident spots so that no smell or trace can remain what so ever so the pup will not want to mark that spot again. You should ignore accidents.

You need to take your pup outside and highly reward poops and wees, they need to be taken out early on very often, after drins, dinners, when they look as if they are sniffing about etc. Find a word you intend to use for toliet breaks forever I.e 'lets go toilet' so the pup gets into a routine.